[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which do you prefer: the Iliad or the Odyssey? (inspired by

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: homer.jpg (220KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
homer.jpg
220KB, 1200x1200px
Which do you prefer: the Iliad or the Odyssey?

(inspired by my reading the Odyssey for the first time right now!)
>>
Odyssey, personally. I found Odysseus easier to relate to: a guy going through hell to get back to the person he loves.

Also, poor Argo.
>>
Just started the Odyssey. I bought Fitzgerald's translation as I read his Iliad, but why is 'Achaean' now 'Akhaian', and 'Olympus' now 'Olympos'?
>>
OP here.

Just wanted to let y'all know that I'm also reading the Fagles translation, which I quite like. Newer(?) from what I understand but has anyone read the same translation/have thoughts about it?
>>
>>7645873
maybe he learned how to pronounce greek inbetween the two
>>
>>7645890
Seems so, there's a lot more accents knocking about. Also looks like he's started rendering kappa as k instead of c (including 'kyklopes', which I find a bit irritating if I'm honest).
>>
Both are shit
>>
>>7645896
>>7645873
It's more accurate to the original Greek.

He doesn't Latinise.

If it irritates you, you're a pleb.
>>
>>7645838
They are both boring as fuck , i prefer to read other kind of books desu.
>>
>>7645935
It's only 'kyklopes' that's annoying, as the English word starts with a soft c.
>>
>>7645890
>>7645935
Non-latinized Greek reads like shit, you might as well leave it not romanized at all for all that is worth.
>>
>>7645958
In Greek the word is pronounced with a hard K, as Greek lacks the soft c you refer to.

Infact every word with a K sound in Greek is a K, and hard at that.

>>7646417

Yeah except it's a story which outdates latin civilization by far. Every and each latinisation in things that predate it is an abomination and an attempt to "modernise" up to Roman standards.
It takes away some of the feel and atmosphere of the original story.

In fact the modern Greek version is quite different from the original ancient Greek one and that's for a tongue which is extremely similar even after nearly 3000 years. I'm sorry to say that the English version is miles away from the original texts and there's no way to understand that unless you're a native Greek which means you got taught the original versions in school or have studied the classics in great depth in a place of higher learning.

To summarise, your shitpost is invalid because Fitzgerald is attempting to bring a foreigner as close to the original as humanly possible and that should be applauded. If you feel that "reads like shit" maybe you should go back to reading books originally written in English such as Fifty Shades of Grey.
>>
>>7645958
>kyklopes

this is so problematic
>>
File: 1437268669558.gif (885KB, 245x147px) Image search: [Google]
1437268669558.gif
885KB, 245x147px
>>7646809
That's a great retort to an admittedly poorly thought out post, and actually really informative, Anon; thanks for the dissing.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (103KB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
103KB, 1920x1040px
>>7646809

So the bar guy from Good Will Hunting is real.
>>
>>7646809

Kyklopes isn't English. If you think this is a good way to write an English translation, then why not include every Greek word within the poem which also has an English derivative in this manner?
>>
>>7647965
>Kyklopes isn't English.
No fucking shit!
>>
>>7646814
kike-low-PEES, actually familia
>>
>>7648177
I thought it was more like "kyklops" in the original Greek?
>>
>>7648186
It is. But the word is Cyclops in English.

Fitzgerald just keeps Greek names.

Telemakhos instead of Telemachos. Works better imo.
>>
>>7648200
Telemakhos instead of Telemachus*
>>
>>7645838
I'm not sure which I pick. Some days I like The Iliad more, sometimes The Odyssey. The Odyssey is the more mature story, but The Iliad is badass.
>>
>>7645838
I really didn't enjoy either, but the Illiad is much better for the sole reason that I wasn't forced to read it in high school.
>>
>>7645838
That's a hard question to answer. I always thought the Greeks were kind of assholes and I rooted for Troy, so I never liked the Iliad.

So I think I like the Odyssey better. I was always fascinated by the cyclopes, Scilla and Charybdis. But I always hated how all of Odysseus' men died, and he somehow survived. Fuck that guy.

Btw, OP if you haven't read Dialectic of Enlightenment, you need to. Life changing shit. Seriously.
>>
File: 243.jpg (31KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
243.jpg
31KB, 680x680px
I've always preferred the Iliad, but they're both bottomless. I think I'll reread them this week. Cheers, OP.
>>
I enjoy a lot of the individual moments in The Iliad better (Menelaus defending Patroclus), but I think The Odyssey has a better overall plot
>>
>>7648179

Would it not be "kike-low-pay," anon?
>>
>>7648251
Very good. *tips fedora*
>>
>>7647965
yea also the latin transl. of odysseus is ulysses... maybe we can rename it as ulyssey then

??

the guy rantin about latin was actually right
now as to which i prefer i'd say odyssey as it's much more mature than iliad which is basically nothing more than a big description of a badass fight
>>
>>7648639
>iliad [...] is basically nothing more than a big description of a badass fight
You completely missed the point.
>>
the Aeneid
>>
>>7648639
>yea also the latin transl. of odysseus is ulysses... maybe we can rename it as ulyssey then
Except it's not a translation, the Romans simply took a different variant of the same name; and nobody is suggesting using the Roman variants of names, simply the classical romanization (which you're using yourself with "Odysseus" rather than "Odusseos").
>>
>>7648833
"Odysseus" would still work.

Ὀδυσσεύς [odysˈsews]
>>
>>7645885

I enjoyed Fagles Illiad and Odyssey.
>>
>>7648224

Reread both of them in one week?
>>
>>7645848
He's a guy that loves adventure. Shortly after getting home he leaves his family again to go adventuring with his old mates.
>>
>>7648664
uhm senpai it seems you actually missed the point.

sure it portrays the atrocities of war and the faulty human nature but it's literally one huge siege with gods intervening and muh epic war

that's literally it, infact it's so literally it that scholars think two different people wrote iliad and odyssey with the latter being so more deep and mature than the first which is basically a young warrior's wet dream story
>>
>>7649569
What about Ἀρετή?
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.