[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Favorite sections? I'm personally a fan of his career

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: 1447736263256.jpg (72KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1447736263256.jpg
72KB, 600x600px
Favorite sections?

I'm personally a fan of his career as a hot-dog vendor
>>
>>7643838
I wish I had a hot dog machine.
>>
storming the levy office
>>
>>7643838
i hated that fucking book, but when the bartender is trying to get a book for her dirty pictures was funny. also that black ass mofuggah.
>>
>>7643954
>i hated that fucking book

Never heard someone say this before
>>
>>7643970
i dunno man, I didn't like it. i don't offer any criticisms. just hated the book. thought it was pretty shit.
>>
>>7643838
Loved to hate Mrs Levy, thank god she got her just desserts
>>
>>7643954
>also that black ass mofuggah.
do the coloreds know how they're depicted in this book?
I realize the whites don't come off much smarter but damn
>>
>>7644233
what're you talking about, jones was based
>>
File: 1448369430967.jpg (34KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1448369430967.jpg
34KB, 500x500px
anything with Mancuso
>>
what the fuck is everyone talking about
>>
>>7644356
New Orleans tourist guide
>>
>>7644356
An union of retards, the famous postmodern novel by Jeffrey Kormack Toyle.
>>
>>7644369
Surely you mean A Cabal of Nincompoops by Paul Nixon Utensill?
>>
The whole thing really impressed me, though Mancuso's speech when he had a cold was frustrating at times.

In a way I'm glad the author killed himself after writing it. It would suck to see a guy who could produce such an insanely funny piece of writing become famous and mellow and follow the book up in 20 years with a lame sequel.
>>
Book was published 10 years after he killed himself. Then it won the pulitzer.

I can't think of any more cruel joke than that.
>>
>>7643838

I guess Mancuso was Wojack?
>>
>>7644457
>le Pepe the frogman xDD
>le wojack his friend who he shits on XDDDDDD

Frog fucks like you ought to kill yourselves.
>>
>>7644416
>In a way I'm glad the author killed himself after writing it.
That's retarded. Just so retarded in a puerile way. Ehh /lit/.
>>
>>7643838
his screams at cinema
>>
>>7644492
they were just flicks not cinema desu senpai
>>
>>7644511
>popcorn everywhere
>>
>>7644352
this
aside from the ugga booga speak jones was the only likeable and 'developed' character in the book
>>
My god.

I had a novel planned out which I'd started writing (I posted the synopsis on here a couple of times and a bunch of people said they'd read it) but I stopped after realizing how inferior to Confederacy it was. I've read books with a similar protagonist (An Evening of Long Goodbyes by Paul Murray, etc) and they seem so weak in comparison, the humour so predictable and tame in a way that is off-putting. I can't imagine many writers being so invested in a character and attuned to their interior lives that they'd sit them in a cinema and have them shout "Rape her!" about the actress on screen.
>>
>>7643838
Best scene is with the art show and the gay guy.
>>
>>7644492
>>7644535
this. Fucking laughed after reading that.
>>
>>7644369

>O'Toyle
>>
>>7646009
;)
>>
File: 1348951232052.jpg (58KB, 385x383px) Image search: [Google]
1348951232052.jpg
58KB, 385x383px
>>7643887
>mfw Ignatius pops a chubby from all the excitement.
>>
>>7644535
What was the novel you had planned on writing?
>>
>>7647768
In what sense?
>>
>>7644416
I think he was yet to write his best work
>>
>>7648340
I think you're about as naive and delusional as the type of people who say "OMG IMAGINE IF KURT COBAIN DIDN'T KILL HIMSELF IMAGINE ALL THE GREAT ALBUMS HE'D MAKE OMG TOO SOON!"

You can't top COD. You can't be funnier or more extreme than that book. I'm glad he died.
>>
>>7648344
Sure. I just think he was a talented writer, so young and still developing after he wrote ACOD. Unlike Cobain who never made anything good after nevermind, had already peaked.
>>
>>7648363
>still developing after he wrote ACOD

You have ZERO evidence to assert this. Goddamn it's worrying that people like you exist.
>>
>>7648335
I'm just interested in its general premise.
>>
>>7649099
If Warosu was working I'd copy and paste the summary. I think I could have written a quote unquote funny book if I'd dedicated myself to it, but something about it made me quit. I think I was trying too hard, or at least resorting to a sort of "wacky" humour that middle-class white women in publishing might find funny, instead of writing the kind of stuff I write on /lit/ which often makes people laugh or find absurd at least.

The basic premise, at the risk of making it sound boring by being brief: two brothers live together in a small and poorly maintained studio apartment in the post-industrial town where they were raised and to which the older brother, a sensitive intellectual who refuses to demean himself by looking for a job post-graduation, has returned to live with his younger brother who, in contrast, years for the trappings of a common life (romantic partner, stable job etc). They spend their evenings driving around town calling the cops on any parties they happen to find during their patrol and generally enforce an anti-fun attitude whenever possible. The older brother has his welfare payments cut by a new regime at the welfare office which is reacting pretty sternly to the rising unemployment and what is perceived as a growing reluctance to find work among the town's youths. This isn't in chron. order but the older brother first attempts to become self-sufficient by growing crops in the shared apartment. One of the parties the boys call the cops on (the cop conducts himself like a sheriff in a wild west town ((appropriately)) and rides his moped side-saddle) is for the marriage anniversary of one of the major local businessmen who runs a call centre nearby and whose wife longs for some wild fun in her life.
>>
>>7649197
The businessman loses a bunch of money because (reason associated with party) and is forced to raise the rents on all the properties he owns in town, including the boys' apartment which means the older brother first tries (because he views himself as physically and morally beautiful) tries camming online in his dead mother's clothing (his brother finds him hehe) and then begins to write erotic self-published novels (ironic hehe since he is anti-sex hehe) which become weirdly popular, especially with the wife of the landlord / businessman (who sees the older brother IRL and tells her friend he is a repulsive young man) who eventually longs to meet this author who seems to be writing about her very own life, which is true since his little brother has started dating the daughter of that couple who are falling apart and whose father is preventing her from going away to some degenerate art school and who insists instead on going to the local job centre for a job at least and in an act of reverse-nepotism her father asks all local business owners to deny her a job and wanting to learn about the gritty side of life (too much like Myrna Sminkoff? probably) she dates the naive but well-intentioned younger brother who she insists is a downtrodden member of the proletariat (not in those words) while he is just happy to have her over at the boy's shared apartment where the older brother is forced to conduct his zealous internet crusade in a small closet (he haunts the comments sections and forums etc decrying modernism, fun and declining morality) from which he hears her stories about her parents' falling apart being told to his brother and then (wanting to write erotica but lacking any experience of women, damn it!) simply copies her stories and adds his own sexual deviancy to them. There are a bunch of suicides in the town which various authority figures explain differently, but it turns out most are in fact murders (I wanted to avoid the murder meme as much as I did the suicide meme) being conducted by a worker at the welfare office who is under intense pressure from the new management to reduce his share of the town's unemployed youth, and he eventually tries to kill the younger brother who (after being too guilt-ridden to claim welfare) has finally applied for government money to help pay the rent and so on.
>>
>>7649201
Also there's a guy at the welfare office who is like an old-timer (not old though) and knows all the loopholes to keep him there. At the beginning of the bookwhen the older brother is still claiming welfare the guy tells him about a PUA (pick up artist) class he's running at a local bingo hall to make some cash on the side and first the older brother attends for "research" about his stories (idea) and the meeting gets raided by the stern sheriff-cop and the owner of the call centre who is convinced his workers are there trying to organize a Union since he place he runs is shitty to its employees and the younger brother eventually starts working there and the PUA guy allegedly commits suicide but of course doesn't and then bla bla there was a thing where the younger brother gets a job advertising door to door but gets accused of exposing himself to someone who opens the door (trying to unzip his oversized fleece hehehe) and gets chased by a bunch of local youths on their bikes and later on the older brother hires these youths to pretend to attack the girl his brother (and he? probably too confusing m8) likes and there's some hijinx with that going badly somehow and then there's this great big meeting at the end with all the central characters and so on and the title of book was from an essay by Berrtand Russell an I really like the title and it's a shame I lack the humour necessary to write this thing without cringing although really to me it just seems like a bunch of hoohoohahah so zany! shit sort of tied together with the central theme being something Toole did much better.
>>
>>7643838
All the stuff with his first gig at Levy Pants. Really captured the feel of being in a dingy office way too early in the morning, and gave me flashbacks.
>>
>>7649197
>>7649201
>>7649233
Sounds pretty funny. I would have read it if it was to be published.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.