[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

language

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: Hitchens.jpg (247KB, 1127x914px) Image search: [Google]
Hitchens.jpg
247KB, 1127x914px
How do I become well spoken?

Does it come with age? IS it a combination of wisdom, pacience and big vocabulary?
>>
Read:

Rhetoric - Aristotle
>>
>>7641264
You might think this won't do shit for you, but it will.
>>
>>7641264

thanks anon
>>
Read more Hitch tbphf. Take notes in the margins for all the references he makes if you need to look them up. letters to a young contrarian was rather good.
>>
>>7641251
>Christopher Hitchens
>makes a poorly written post on 4chan asking how to become more well spoken
It's like poetry.
>>
>>7642159
Hitch wasn't the boss people like to think he was, but he WAS extremely eloquent, there is no denying that.
>>
>>7642170
I know. I'm just laughing at the situation. A man who worships a militant atheist asking how he can become more well spoken so that people might think he's more intellectual. It's very redditesque.
>>
>>7641966
This.

Read and talk more with friends in general and critically with peers. Don't be afraid to be perceived as an arrogant bastard is what i've learned over the years from Hitchens.

It obviously does help to have a decent vocabulary. Start using vocabulary.com.

I have nothing to do with the site.
inb4 shill
>>
>>7642184
You sound like you'd be awful to be around.
>>
>>7642175

>2016
>believing in supernatural beings
>>
>>7642170
>Eloquent
Have you seen his debate with William Lane Craig? Craig is far superior in speaking and Hitchens could only respond with stutters and mumbles
>>
>>7642230
This is what I despise most about reddit fedoras, the second you criticise them for being tryhard pseuds they'll immediately assume you believe in some sort of "invisble sky daddy" or whatever the term they use is. My issue with you isn't that you don't believe in god, my issue is that you're a fucking faggot.
>>
>>7642243

Are you from cod and lol crowd? Only those retards use the word tryhard as an insult for working hard.

I don't go around talking down to religious people, nor do I bring religion into conversations at all actually. But we need people who push against religion in the public eye.

Si ce ai cu engleza mea? Daca vrei pot sa vorbesc in limba mea natala.
>>
>>7642273
I don't play videogames because I'm not a manchild, sorry.
>>
>>7642273
>religion is bad
f'dora
>>
>>7642230
>Using meme arrows to say it is currently "x year"
>>
>>7642175
Not OP, but he didn't say he "worshiped" Hitch.

>>7642238
>William Lane Craig
Are you fucking high? Craig sounds like a voice actor for an animated tv show geared at preschoolers.

Hitchens wasn't the most eloquent, but to compare Craig to him is insane. If you're looking for an antagonist to contrast him against, perhaps Buckley was a far more eloquent individual.

>William Lane Craig
>"superior" to anyone
Have you heard his podcast too? The man is a joke.
>>
File: tumblr_nxvrrjElO71s9rnz8o1_540.jpg (64KB, 540x764px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxvrrjElO71s9rnz8o1_540.jpg
64KB, 540x764px
>>7642243
>my issue is that you're a fucking faggot.
>>7642273
>But we need people who push against religion in the public eye.

Good points. Very Good points. wrapped in rage posting.
>>
>>7642238
Yes, all that Hitchens did was to appeal to emotion. Same thing with Dawkins. WLC is hard to beat in a debate.
>>
>>7642478
>Craig sounds like a voice actor for an animated tv show

Take that, WLC. Arguments debunked.
>>
File: 1448674196007.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1448674196007.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>7641277
Please expand on this I've been thinking about grabbing Rhetoric and Poetics for a while.
>>
>>7641251
You'll become more and more well spoken the more you socialize.

What's the easiest way to socialize? Through common interests.

You're going to have to do more than just read. You're going to have to go out and develop interests to become interesting.
>>
>>7642243
This is what I love about religious people. They get hurt over stupid comebacks.
>>
>>7641251
Generally you should associate with other people who are well spoken.
>>
>>7641277
elaborate ya jabroni
>>
>>7641251
Ive never not been well spoken . How do you know of you're a retard?
>>
Read english non-fiction pre-1950s.

The language has gone to shit and grammar no longer exists.
>>
Practice reading good writing aloud. Generally, in our 21st century colloquial tongue, it is rare that we articulate ourselves in the way that one would as an orator. If you've never uttered certain words, or certain types of sentences, even, doing so regularly creates new neuronal connections and so on, which will change the way that you spontaneously speak, over time.

Eloquence is a skill; some were raised in a social environment that was more sophisticated and so on, and thus such speech has come more naturally, but anyone can become eloquent with practice. It'll simply require many hours of reading aloud the way you would desire to speek. Also, tape your speech, and make adjustments as necessary; a large problem I've often seen is a tendency to speak too fast--it's better to slow down, atleast slightly, breath deeper, and take your time. I'd pick anything in the canon from the 19th century to the early 20th century.
>>
>>7644410

Every generation before you has said that language is going to shut.
>>
>>7644392
I'd also second this. I think we are often unaware of how much we subconsciously adapt to our given social environments by adopting certain behaviorial tendencies and so on. If you're constantly surrounded by uneducated, dim people, then, you know..
>>
>>7644423
>speek

It's okay anon, it's funny. Typos are pretty come on.
>>
>>7641251
>>7644410
listen to rod serling. imitate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQlqjONEsKQ
>>
>>7644423
>21st century colloquial tongue
JUST.....no
>>
>>7644455
what?
>>
>>7644423
Wind in the Willows is great for this, because you should practice reading it your kids, nephews, etc.
>>
>>7644463
that's so vulgar new york january 2016 english.
>>
>>7642195
lol yes i am :)
>>
>>7644428
americans raised on twitter no speak good

>>7644452
This is great.
>>
this thread is lovely.
>>
>>7642243

no jon, you are the faggots
>>
>>7641251
All of those things matter, but the biggest thing you can do to improve right now is to take a very brief moment to compose your thoughts before you speak. It sounds silly, but the biggest difference between a well spoken person and someone who just uses lots of big words is that the well spoken person does not engage in stream of consciousness dialog.

Age is also a factor that you shouldn't disregard. Not only does it give you more opportunity to expose yourself to diverse ideas, but life experience lends authenticity to your words. If you speak too far above your age, you just come off as a pompous dweeb.
>>
>>7642978
You've got to be kidding me.
>>
>>7641251
This >>7645194 and wide reading. Read a lot. Read a lot of different stuff, not just /lit/ tier pretentious philosophy but everything from scientific journals to modern fiction to classics so you have a better idea of different vocabulary and ways of speaking for different situations.

If you try too hard to sound "well-spoken", you just end up sounding like a pretentious tryhard. Focus on using the right word for the job. Don't speak like a professor, speak like an engineer--use the best tools in your vocabulary to do the job, as concisely and accurately as possible.

Oh, and being well written comes before being well spoken. Learn to fucking spell.
>>
>Does it come with age?
Not necessarily. Counterexample: drunkards and other druggies that never learn from experience.

>IS it a combination of wisdom, patience and big vocabulary?
Big vocabulary is definitely a part of the equation but also being keen at observation; taken together, the missing ingredient or 'synthesis' of the two is assigning particular signs (words/signs that have been standardized* by the community) to your particular experiences, thus paving the way to being well spoken, articulated, etcetera.

* by that i mean that the community expects you to use the word 'dog' to mean what THEY mean by it, and not some unorthodox interpretation of the word.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.