[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learning French

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: 20121125WAITING-slide-BNFB-jumbo.jpg (111KB, 1024x665px) Image search: [Google]
20121125WAITING-slide-BNFB-jumbo.jpg
111KB, 1024x665px
How difficult are En Attendant Godot and L'Etranger for someone learning French?

What other works should I pick up?
>>
>>7639356
Easy enough, the difficulty mainly resides in the meaning of the play. As a native, I would recommend it to someone like you that's learning.

Same goes for L'Etranger, it is a very simple work when it comes to prose, and you should have no problem understanding it if you have a decent level, except maybe the very last part.

Do not forget that both of these works are infamously easy to misinterpret

Bisoux
>>
I loved this play until I saw it. Not this particular version, but, the one on YT.
>>
>>7639363
how can I guide myself to grasp the intended meaning of both works so I avoid a misinterpretation?
Not op, rookie here.
>>
>>7639379
read more works by the authors of both works imo
foucault said that it's hard to understand a precise work or piece of philosophy, but if you study more by the author, you'll eventually have a panoramic view of it that will complete itself like a puzzle

the stranger is a magical work. if you have never experienced the absurdity of an existential crisis you will think it's shit, and if you have you will think it's a masterpiece that resonates with you entirel, for example

don't bother too much about the intended meaning too, in general I mean. for the stranger sure, cause the purpose of the book is to express a very complex "feeling about the world" to borrow nietzsche or carnap's word, but in general valery said that a text is a tool, that anybody can use however he likes

these are my modest advices
>>
>>7639363
I've read both in English and have read quite a bit of Beckett's other works so I wouldn't really be reading them to draw out the meaning so much as to appreciate the language and work on my own development.
>>
>>7639363
Also, what else would you recommend? Any poetry that would be good for a beginner?
>>
>>7639418
Boris vian is simple cute and beautiful
valery is also good

>>7639404
I think this is a good attitude
>>
Waiting for "God"ot is English you pleb. Beckett is Irish
>>
>>7639523
Beckett wrote the original in French and then translated it to English

pleb
>>
>>7639523
Wrote in french. Translated it to English. But you know that ar3 already. Why do I indulge these shit posts
>>
>>7639532
Any reason why he wrote in french?
>>
>>7639554
He was a little fairy enamored of France and ashamed of the potato village.
>>
>>7639554
He said it helped him to write "without style" since he wasn't a native French speaker. Shitpost above was blatant trolling on multiple levels. ("If I'd meant God I'd have said God."
>>
What are french books for learners/beginners? I'm 20% fluent in French according to duolingo
>>
>>7639605
Imagine that, spend an hour clicking buttons and you are twenty percent fluent in any language.
>>
>>7639619
Pretty much. So recommend me babbys first french book
>>
>>7639627
You wouldn't even be prepared for that.
>>
>>7639356

both are relatively easy. If you want more difficult reading try dipping into Flaubert.
>>
>>7639632
Lots of people learn languages by reading books
>>
>>7639644
No they don't.
>>
>>7639605
Lol I hit 20% in one hour. The percent is meaningless.
>>
>>7639356
Dallas, TX
>>
>>7639627
Le Petit Prince is god tier first french book
>>
>>7639679
My greatuncle learned English reading the kjv.
>>
>>7639765
L'Étranger is actually easier than Le Petit Prince imo. And Le Malentendu is even easier.

As for poetry, Baudelaire's vocab is pretty simple.
>>
>>7639554
It was first performed in French and the characters are intended to be French.
>>7639356
OP, you would also like Le Petit Prince, Candide and L'ecole Pour Femmes.
>>
>>7639564
Beckett had an ambivalent relationship with Ireland. He wasn't a nationalist, as Dublin protestant his heritage lay firmly in Unionism and after independence he felt Ireland was now colder for people such as himself, which is why he never returned. However he was a massive supporter of Irish sports teams and still associated and promted the Irish literary scene. He was part of the Irish expat community in Paris and John Montague (A Nationalist poet friend) said that at times he would be exude proud cultural nationalism of Ireland
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.