[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The reason David Foster Wallace committed suicide

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

File: 1454042485265.jpg (171KB, 529x705px) Image search: [Google]
1454042485265.jpg
171KB, 529x705px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGYbfDwXOc0
>>
>>7639156
You're not going to be a meme no matter how hard you try. We don't award memes for effort
>>
>>7639156

>that pic
>autism shoes
>>
>>7639180
I think they were ok in that age
>>
>>7639156
DFW's sister Amy says he spent an entire summer listening over and over to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqQT3oKA3v8
>>
>>7639180

Those autism shoes are worth hundreds of dollars now
>>
>>7639156
do you guys think this look was an act? like, was he thinking, the more "out there"i look and act, the more genius i look.

or was he legit autistic
>>
Lol, Wallace smoked a ton of weed and watched a ton of TV, this guy knows nothing of his work.
>>
>>7639312
There's nothing out there about it. Especially when this was taken. You could argue about the bandana, but, not much else.
>>
>>7639317

Honestly if the shorts were jeans it'd be a sick fit

captcha: bananas
>>
>>7639314
Exactly
>>
>>7639312
>the more "out there"i look and act, the more genius i look.

nigga you're talking about someone wearing shorts, a white tee, a bandana and nikes, not mac demarco lmao
>>
>>7639255
>>7639255
thanx for sharing
>>
>>7639317
Bandanas were popular in the 90's
>>
>>7639354
>nigga you're talking about someone wearing shorts, a white tee, a bandana and nikes, not mac demarco lmao

>nigga
>a bandana
>not mac demarco lmao

I can already tell what type of person you are and you're a fucking leech
>>
>>7639834
nigga you don't know me

i don't listen to mac demarco

and
>>7639808
>>
I'm working on my author aesthetic and I don't know which anachronistic pieces of clothing I should appropriate. I'm thinking maybe a suspenders, waistcoast, and bow tie combo with early '70s temperate-camouflage cargo pants (going for that young-virgin-professor-doing-a-think-piece-on-the-Nam look).

Alternately, I was also considering a cyperpunk-forest recluse aesthetic, but it seems a bit out of my budget ATM.
>>
>>7639861
I never said you did listen to him, did I?

>Bandanas were popular in the 90's
Popular to who? You fucking idiot. Go back to twitter or tumblr
>>
>>7639879
then how tf can you pretend to know me you fucking pseud. anyone in the grunge or metal scene, fuck, fedoras are popular in japan rn. don't pretend you know all fashion trends you double pseud

>go back to (meme location)

v original
>>
>>7639862
that's a good build. what kinda hat you going for? i'm thinking it's gotta be a flat cap. or, if you just don't care anymore, do the tophat
>>
File: 1447887214827.gif (2MB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
1447887214827.gif
2MB, 360x270px
>>7639908
>''tf''
>''rn''
What? Why are you even on /lit/? This is not twitter you fucking moron... Actively contributing to the demise of the English language and still trying to come across a certain way.
>you fucking pseud.
Okay mate.
>anyone in the grunge or metal scene
They wear bandanas? Hahahah
>don't pretend you know all fashion trends you double pseud
Implying fashion trends aren't one of the easiest things to predict and therefore know, you fucking dunce.

You're a fucking nu-male, I can see it from a mile away. Everything you've posted screams mediocrity
>>
File: S1ngexB.jpg (439KB, 1050x1080px) Image search: [Google]
S1ngexB.jpg
439KB, 1050x1080px
>>7639908
>>
>>7639156

>he probably never smoked weed
>his drug addiction is one of the most well-known things about him

stopped watching there, what the fuck is this
>>
>>7639156
This guy is repulsive.
>>
File: no discernible talent.jpg (27KB, 213x317px) Image search: [Google]
no discernible talent.jpg
27KB, 213x317px
>>7639156
>>
>>7639936
sry but you aren't worth typing full words on my phone for, hmu when i'm on my pc so half of your argument can go out the window

>demise of the English language

goes to show how much of a pseud you are senpai

off the top of my head, bandanas in the 90s:
>pac
>brad pitt
>depp
>bret michaels
>hulk hogan
>axl
>chong

keep in mind half of them were considered sex symbols in their hayday. keep trying pseud, mayb next time

>>7639938
>has beard
>20-30 years old

none of the others apply tho. i bet yr awful at guess who
>>
>>7639312
His look was totally in line with 90s casual fashion. Shorts were worn a bit higher cut back then, t shirt is normal, bandanas were popular as one poster said.
>>
>>7639156
What the fuck is this
>>
>>7641190
>Shorts were worn a bit higher cut back then

no they werent u faggity homo, rappers with 3/4 length jorts were the norm, having ur shorts up ur balls was for fucking queers, no with homosexuals like kanye west setting black fashion trends those tiny shorts that ur balls poke through when u sit are in style, definitely not in the 90s, dfw is a shitty person and he looks like shit, also his writing is banal shit for sewds
>>
I've often wondered if DFW killed himself as way to complete his final work. Like a post-modern gimmick (I call it gimmick but others may call it 'art') so that another author would have to construct his work from the outside so it would be unique in the sense that he would have absolutely no input in the final form. In this sense DFW is the Pale King, the ghost that hovers over the work. All things in the work are created by him and through him yet he is totally outside of it. "The King" because he has absolute sovereignty over each and every word, "Pale" because he transcends the work completely and his presence can't be found.

I'm a stemfag so I don't have the vocabulary to express this well so if someone with a lit degree can latch on to this idea and articulate it better, please do. I imagine I'm not the first to come up with this so if someone can point me in the direction of some discussion on this that would be great.
>>
File: 194.jpg (24KB, 229x343px) Image search: [Google]
194.jpg
24KB, 229x343px
>dfw will never smother you with his thighs
i hate his writing but dfw ate his rice and cabbage
>>
DFW killed himself because he was a fraud. He even says so in one of his essays. IJ was a joke on the literary world. It was a piss-take. He wanted the novel to be mocked and dismissed. Instead it was deified by a generation of self-absorbed, so-called readers. Imagine how alienating that must be, to know that people can't tell the difference between a cynical, sarcastic joke and a real work of art with something genuine to say.

If you worship IJ, and the DFW persona, then you killed Wallace.
>>
>>7639862
Just look like a mugshot of the Unabomber. That's the "in" intellectual look these days.
>>
>>7641740

which essay?
>>
>>7641767

Good Old Neon
>>
>>7641772
That's a story you retard.
>>
>>7641672
David Bowie did it better
>>
>>7641772
>Good Old Neon

cheers bruh

>>7641775

same shit
>>
>>7641740
no bait image is sufficient for this tph family member.
>>
>>7641779

true. I suppose suicide has more impact. especially if you're convinced you're a fraud. It's his attempt at a single authentic act.
>>
>>7641779
He had a career spanning half a century. DFW's barely lasted for two decades.
>>
>>7641160
If you're not black and don't have a legit reason for speaking as if you are... you should fucking hang yourself mate.
I don't care about your pop culture knowledge, you fucking prick. Go back to hashtagging on twitter. This is /lit/ not tumblr.

>pseud
Calls me a psued yet he's browsing a message board about mostly esoteric literature, posting about how much he knows of pop culture... while using pop culture ''celeb'' terms that originated from mostly african-americans and ''internet celebrities'' who literally can't spell simple words correctly

You're the definition of mediocre. Let me guess, you're writing a young adult novel about fucking nothing... I bet you think kanye west is a genius too? or J cole? Or some other deadbeat fucking rapper.

Fuck off son, you've got nothing.
>>
File: 1452072195008.jpg (147KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1452072195008.jpg
147KB, 500x500px
>>7639180
>Nike
>Autism Shoes
>>
>>7641804
>I don't care about your pop culture knowledge

>>Bandanas were popular in the 90's
>Popular to who?

don't ask questions if you don't want answers you fucking pseud
>>
File: 1453890362159.gif (2MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1453890362159.gif
2MB, 300x225px
>>7641804
>getting this mad about youth and internet slang on a message board used primarily by adolescents
>not being mediocre

pick one, F A M
>>
>>7641898
>>>Bandanas were popular in the 90's
>>Popular to who?

bandanas were popular in the late 80s with really plebby metal bands from LA, they were never cool with any who was cool, dfw is just a tacky cheeselord who looks to def leopard for fashion accessories
>>
>>7641764
say, wait a minute...if dfw is such a misunderstood genius badboy with a bandana fit for skid row how come he was never arrested?
>>
>>7642051
>>7641898
same fag and i don't care faggot
you're a pleb that uses slang like ''tf'' and ''rn'' ... your opinion means absolutely nothing to anyone and theres no doubt you're a nu-male faggot

>>back to twitter for u mate
>>
>>7639862
bro, bro! i fucking got it dude! wear some fucking gold grills like a rapper from 00s texas! that's totally what dfw would have done if he didn't dress like some sap at a bon jovi concert instead
>>
>>7641740

This makes a lot of sense tbqh. Nobody called him on his bullshit. Nobody saw the true David. We were all just a bunch of slack jawed idiots impressed with a big book with big words, hoping that people will think we're smart because we read it.

Anon be cry.
>>
>>7642084
He wasn't wearing it to look cool. He was just a sweaty disgusting nerd and found it useful for keeping the sweat out of his eyes.
>>
>>7642117
i think he THOUGHT it was cool, sort of like how faggots who wear fedoras THINK they are being classy
>>
>>7642072
Not him but Johnny Depp really did rock the bandana for awhile there.
>>
>>7642137
Not at all. He had worn a bandanna since high-school because he would have anxiety attacks with sweating. Additionally Wallace spent most of his writing trying to figure how to stop looking cool to himself and others.
>>7642109
>>7641740
I think this is only a small part of why David killed himself. It was nearly a full decade after IJ DFW died, so any trauma from the book's reception would've went away. Though he does mention IJ being received as a witty and funny novel rather than an extremely depressing one confused him in 2003 interview (something could be said about the despairing being perceived as funny, with reference to the Hamlet scene the book gets its title from). Ultimately it has to do with his decision to go off anti-depressants, both to free himself from drugs and to finish The Pale King. Now, what thoughts ultimately drove him to suicide is a mystery his wife only knows.
>>
>>7642085
are you okay
>>
>>7642072
your millennial is showing. justin timberlake, fucking gwen stefani, tupac, etc had nothing to do with metal and none of them wore it in the 80s

>>7642085
sorry to disappoint but i apparently only fit 2 of the criteria on that list posted earlier
>>
>>7642085
>samefag
Nope, a completely separate person thinks you're acting like a hysterical bitch over nothing
>>
>>7642222
>your millennial is showing. justin timberlake, fucking gwen stefani, tupac

justin timberlake was some corny as shit boyband faggot in the 90s, so millenial to you bitch...also tupac wore his bandana like fucking aunt gemima to be relatable to women, the really great popstar are always slightly androgynous and tupac was no exception
>>
>>7642314
none of that is relevant since you said it was in the 80s with plebby metal bands, while yr acknowledging several instances in the 90s. i'll take yr reply as an admission

>millenial to you bitch
whoa scary man
>>
>>7642205
He talked about wanting it to be a sad book in a lot of interviews. Though I think by the 2003 one he forgot what it was actually like (in one interview he said he never rereads his old work) because even though it has a depressive tone overall, there's a lot of genuinely wacky shit in there that couldn't have possibly been meant as anything other than a joke.

As for his suicide, I'd say it was the chemicals first and foremost. Going off anti-depressants is a fucking mess even if you've only been on them for a month or so. He was on them for over a decade at that point. The side effects made him want to go off them. The effects of going off them made him want to kill himself.
>>
>>7642348
That was my personal experience with them as well. I wasn't on Nardil, but, it's a tenuous relationship for sure.
>>
>>7642343
NSYNC started performing in 1995, david foster wallace was wearing his bandana like a queer metal dork in 1991, the same year tupac debuted (wearing a baseball cap) and the first No Doubt album was released in 1992, moreover in the 90s Gwen Stefani was well known for wearing a Hindi bindi, she never used a bandana in her press material...you don't know shit. face it, dfw was a metal dork loser with shit taste and so are you...if dfw was cool he would have been into the rad indie bands coming up in Amherst Mass in the 80s like Dinosaur Jr, which debuted the same time DFW was at Amherst (protip: they didn't wear tacky as shit bandanas, ever)
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.