[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Metaphysical sonnets?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: JohnDonne.jpg (13KB, 197x240px) Image search: [Google]
JohnDonne.jpg
13KB, 197x240px
Death, be not proud is my favorite poem I've ever read. Does /lit/ have any recommendations for similar ones?
>>
the rest of the holy sonnets obviously.

you can also read his earlier stuff which are just really cerebral/convoluted ways for donne to convince women to sleep with him, not quite in the same vein as late-life metaphysical donne

andrew marvell and george herbert are the other two big metaphysical poets.
>>
>>7637530
thanks anon, I'm checking out the rest of the holy sonnets right now! Any recommendations for similar stuff from a different time period too?
>>
>>7637564
depends on what aspect you're most intrigued by.

subject matter (life and death, overcoming it, etc.), try stuff like:
-On Time, milton
-When I have fears I may cease to be, keats
-Ozymandia, shelley
-Sonnet 55, 60, 73, 107, shakespeare
-Do not go gentle into that good night, and death shall have no dominion, dylan thomas
>>
>>7637585
This is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of. My favorite thing about his writing is his use of conceits to explain his ideas. I will definitely check these out
>>
>>7637600
yea the poetic conceits are awesome. if that's what you like just explore around the metaphysics and donne's non-holy sonnet stuff, cause conceits were arguably even more important there. stuff like the flea, valediction: forbidden mourning,, the indifferent, go and catch a falling star, the triple fool (a personal "hipster" favorite of mine), the canonization (amazingly underappreciated), etc. etc.

herbert is good if you want poetic conceit with the same religious vein/god bent that the holy sonnets have. Stuff like Love i, ii, iii the the collar are really nice. Easter wings is cool cause it's one of the earliest examples of concrete poetry.

Marvell for god-stuff but also a lot of nature + convincing girls to sex him. to his coy mistress is the popular one (lots of quotable lines), but stuff like the mower and the garden are much more conceit-y.
>>
>>7637623
I've read to his coy mistress and wasn't such a huge fan of that but I might have to give Marvell another shot. The Flea and Valedictorian are also some of my favorites. I'm not familiar with Herbert (I'm a noobie to /lit/ and I haven't had a huge exposure to a ton of poetry outside of Song of Myself and some other stuff) but I'll put him on my list. Right now I'm working on reading through the holy sonnets. I'll read the Triple Fool next
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.