[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /lit/ think about Moby Dick? I've just finished

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

File: moby-dick-rockwell-kent-illus[1].jpg (544KB, 1016x1600px) Image search: [Google]
moby-dick-rockwell-kent-illus[1].jpg
544KB, 1016x1600px
What does /lit/ think about Moby Dick?
I've just finished reading this book. As a non-native speaker, I still can't appreciate what I've read. The style made me struggle a lot.
>>
The best English language novel.
>>
yeah I thought the digressions about ships and whaling were distracting. it's argued that they are what makes the book brilliant. I really enjoyed moby dick...but maybe could've enjoyed it even more. the overall notion of Ahab's decent into madness bc of moby dick is amazon in itself.
>>
>>7636937
>amazon
????

autocorrect got me. I meant amazing.
>>
>>7636921
>sperm whale's upper jaw is full of teeth
>illustrator gets credited on cover

triggered.
>>
>>7636960
Those are just drops of water, like below the lower jaw.
>>
>>7636964
The straight line and all of them being the same size tells me otherwise.
>>
>>7636974
I know, I was just trying to help your autism.
>>
>>7636979
Appreciated.
>>
The language is intentionally archaic and biblical so I can see why a non-native would struggle with it. Recommend you read the King James Bible if you want a better grasp of the language in Moby-Dick.
>>
File: Lit-My-Own-Worst-Enemy.jpg (23KB, 348x350px) Image search: [Google]
Lit-My-Own-Worst-Enemy.jpg
23KB, 348x350px
>>7636921

>There's no ship (it's civilization and his soul)
>There's no crew (it's all perspectives of one man from his primal depths to his intellectual heights)
>There's no whale (it's purpose that becomes obsession)
>There's no sea (it's the promise of death and the male emotional mind)
>Moby Dick is a modern epic poem
>suck my dick
>>
File: Hardcover Fanfiction.jpg (318KB, 951x1410px) Image search: [Google]
Hardcover Fanfiction.jpg
318KB, 951x1410px
Is the sequel any good?
>>
>>7637033
i never read it. if it's not james cameron or planned from the inception of the original the sequel to anything is never good but that being said some people swear it's a great companion to the original work, the female to Moby Dick's male but very autobiographical in prose and not nearly as visually metaphoric
>>
>>7637033
>Moby-Dick fanfiction

Fucking really?
>>
>>7637096
>Moby-Dick
>-

Finally a patrician.
>>
File: d84c8d944ad4121ccc141d313011009f.png (103KB, 1150x557px) Image search: [Google]
d84c8d944ad4121ccc141d313011009f.png
103KB, 1150x557px
>>7637096
no not really but sort of
>>
File: 1453096474275.jpg (28KB, 719x719px) Image search: [Google]
1453096474275.jpg
28KB, 719x719px
>>7637138
>tour de force
>>
>>7637138
>author's other published works include "Sherlock In Love"

why is this allowed?
>>
>>7637157
Public domain, my man
>>
>>7637157
surely if you attach your name to something that is already credited to genius it will empower your personal work
>>
I liked it but I think it's extremely overrated and there are far better novels out there.
>>
File: 0da.jpg (81KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
0da.jpg
81KB, 612x612px
>>7637152
whenever I see that in a review I stop reading it, I can't believe people use it
>>
>>7637213
What English novel do you think is better?
>>
>>7637239
what's wrong with it?
>>
>>7636937
personally i found the ahab story distracting from the big book of how cool whaling is
>>
>>7637271
It's an overused cliché that lazy reviewers use to sound intellectual.
>>
>>7637271
it's almost always used incorrectly (its context means that it took a lot of strength physically or mentally to accomplish it) and what >>7637276 said
>>
>>7637006
>Whence come you, Hawthorne? By what right do you drink from my flagon of life? And when I put it to my lips -- lo, they are yours and not mine. I feel that the Godhead is broken up like the bread at the Supper, and that we are the pieces. Hence this infinite fraternity of feeling. Now, sympathizing with the paper, my angel turns over another page. you did not care a penny for the book. But, now and then as you read, you understood the pervading thought that impelled the book -- and that you praised. Was it not so? You were archangel enough to despise the imperfect body, and embrace the soul.

There are hardly any intentional allegories. Melville was phoning it in.
>>
>>7637722
you're not serious. you're talking about a bisexual/gay novelist who loved talking about the possession of the female body by hetero men (hawthorne in reality was also bisexual and fought his loins many times) who project themselves in to bizarre visions of perfection vicariously (comparing a woman to a book, an object to be used like a tool), basically calling out typical men as self-loathing quilt-ridden closeted emotional drag queens who want to fuck themselves the allegory is on fleek dont get caught in its supposed superlative and just look at what he's doing
>>
>>7637778
>falling for the moby meme this hard

Wew, is that you, Philip?
>>
>>7637860
what are you doing.
>>
>>7636921
Woah, hold up. You don't read Moby Dick. You maybe read some cliffnotes or excerpts or something, but you don't straight up read Moby Dick.
>>
>>7638073
U wot? Of course you can, it took me two weeks to understand the anarcho-primitivism underlining beowulf and it's limb/organ allegory that the translations almost completely destroyed. It's always best to read the original work if it's available even if you have to get some education on how to do it prior
>>
A moving and transformative work, with prose that moves like tides from scientifically pedantic to mystically romantic. A great statement upon the possibility of a life's work being for naught, and the tragedy behind ruining others drafted in the failed endeavor of a charismatic hero.
>>
>>7637033
>moby dick
>sequel
mah nigga, it´s not a sequel, it´s a fake sequel, it´s fanfic, that Sena jetter couldn´t write something original? what a hack
>>
>>7637275

I agree totally - I think the hype around this novel gives people the wrong idea. If people didn't go in expecting action and whale-human fighting, I think they would enjoy it a lot more.

When other people tell me they want to read it, I tell them to forget about the whale as much as possible and just enjoy the style and the in-depth information. Moby-Dick and discussion of Moby-Dick probably don't even make up 10% of this novel.

The whale is important, but he's not meant to be the absolute focus.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.