[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did this fucker like any other writer at all? >Last name,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 6

File: Vladimir_Nabokov.jpg (13KB, 272x340px) Image search: [Google]
Vladimir_Nabokov.jpg
13KB, 272x340px
Did this fucker like any other writer at all?

>Last name, first name. Dislike him. Adjective, adjective.
>>
John Green did it first. Nabokov cribbing again.
>>
yes???????

http://wmjas.wikidot.com/nabokov-s-recommendations
>>
>>7636213
he liked Joyce to an extent
>>
File: nabbed.jpg (62KB, 411x395px) Image search: [Google]
nabbed.jpg
62KB, 411x395px
>>7636213
he liked anne frank. :^)
>>
Did he ever give any opinions on Pynchon?
>>
Lolita, Pale Fire and Ada...

Is there anything else of his worth reading?
>>
>>7636268
Pynchon, Tommy. Dislike him. Puerile, flippant. An encyclopedia stoner with a greasy taste in music.
>>
>>7636277
a man after my own heart you are, anon.
>>
>Liked Hegel and Bergson
>Hated Marx and Freud
He had patrician taste, tbqh
>>
>>7636277
sorry, this quote also includes 'a juvenile memester'.
>>
>>7636308
yes, according to the polls, this is true.
>>
>>7636273
I'm liking the Luzhin Defense, but then again, I'm probably a little biased because of the subject matter.

Nabokov's written so much stuff, and while some of his earlier works are a little weaker, it's all enjoyable. If you have one of the Vintage prints, then there's a list of all his works in the back with some one-or-two-line synopses. Just browse on through a pick up a few that sound interesting. Invitation to a Beheading, Here Come the Harlequins, and the Enchanter are definitely things that I'm planning on getting soon, for example.

>>7636213
He had that one quote or whatever about the greatest works of literature (his opinion, obvy) where he listed Ulysses, St. Petersburg, the Metamorphosis, and the first half of In Search of Lost Time.
>>
>>7636213

He like Salinger and Updike.
>>
>>7636315
>St. Petersburg

pleb.
>>
>>7636315
>the greatest works of literature
Nah, greatest works of the 20th century. He thought Tolstoy and Shakespeare were above all of those
>>
>>7636268
>>7636277
>>7636286
He said he didnt remember him.
>>
>>7636273
Pnin 100%

To a lesser extent: Invitation to a Beheading. The Gift.
>>
>>7636325
Pnin was one of the worst, most dull novels i have ever had the displeasure of reading. If that's masterful prose, then I'm a fucking flamingo eating panda shit on a barge of 10/10 naked women tossing gherkins at Val Kilmer while he's wearing a sun god outfit.
>>
Nabokov could have been a contender but his teacher, a respected poet/critic, mocked the sincerity of Vlad's poems in front of the class. Turned him into a metafictionist for life right then and there.
>>
>>7636335
Yis have no heart or soul then matey.
>>
>>7636213
Yes. He thought that Vladimir Sirin was the ultimate literary genius.
>>
>>7636347
nonsense. a story about a lamer and his glass bowl doesnt move my soul, because it's not compelling. i wept when i read kidnapped, or when i saw the blossoming companionship of queequeg and ishmael, i got lost in mirth when i read Panza's ridiculous parables, and I was mentally harangued by Raskolnikov's paranoia.

I have a heart and soul, Pnin did not touch it. unlike Nabokov touching those little girls.
>>
>>7636378
I don't feel that strongly about it, desu. Just found it comfy and humorous with a touch of pathos. Na mean my nigger?
>>
>>7636389
i can accept your liking it, i just feel it gets far too much credit for far too little effect.
>>
>>7636318
They're both top tier, don't see why /lit/ shits on them all the time
>>
>>7636395
I only see dislike for Catcher usually. Updike just isn't my bag baby.
>>
Foster, Wallace. Dislike him. Talentless, insincere.
>>
He loved Tolstoy and Pushkin. (And other russian realist/romantic authors, I suppose.)
>>
>>7636552
>gogol a realist
oh you.
>>
He liked a few writers, just like Ole Anderson liked a few wrestlers.
>>
>>7636213
>Last name, first name. Dislike him. Adjective, adjective.
Nabokov never wrote like this.
>>
>>7636415
literally his worst book
>>
>>7636709
You silly goof. Look at the entry for Camus in >>7636254
>>
He was 100% right about Dostoyevsky.
>>
>>7636323
That has nothing to do with whether or not he liked his writing
>>
File: 321435234.jpg (28KB, 801x534px) Image search: [Google]
321435234.jpg
28KB, 801x534px
>>7637456
>I wanted to do this one
>>
>>7637450
If you think Franny and Zooey is better you are a big dummy my friend
>>
What did he say about Tao Lin?
>>
Did anyone see his entry on Lewis Carroll?

"Have always been fond of him. One would like to have filmed his picnics"

yikes
>>
>>7636254
>Nabokov actually liked Jane Austen

wat
>>
>Brecht, Bertolt. A nonentity

dropped
>>
>Eliot, T. S. Not quite first-rate

Now I'm mad.
>>
>>7637496

don't be. Nabokov didn't know shit about poetry and didn't write a single line of good poetry in his entire miserable pretty-prose life.

I don't think his novels are that great either, maybe INNOVATIVE, but still bad novels. But that's just my opinion
>>
Brecht, Bertolt. A nonentity, means absolutely nothing to me

How is this a recommendation?

How does this guys opinion mean anything?
>>
>Melville, Herman. Love him. One would like to have filmed him at breakfast, feeding a sardine to his cat.

>Joyce, James. Great. A favorite between the ages of 20 and 40, and thereafter. Let people compare me to Joyce by all means, but my English is patball to Joyce's champion game. A genius.
>Shits on everything but Ulysses

Wew
>>
>>7637496
>he still likes T.S. Eliot
You have shit taste my man. I don't agree with a lot of what Nabokov says but Eliot a shit
>>
>>7637550
Care to explain why?
>>
>>7637538
>Wew

you know half the reason everyone wants to call Nabokov a "genius" was because he acted like one, right? His novels aren't genius but his persona is. in 100 years when his persona is forgotten, we're going to revaluate him and put him out of the canon.
>>
>>7637550
Please don't insult what you don't understand just because.
>>
>>7637550
in the words of Bloom, who has every reason to hate him: "abominable"..."but I must admit he is a remarkable poet." This sums up my position as well
>>
>>7637516
theyre not "recommendations" theyre "strong opinions" you newpal
>>
>>7637472
It is, but only slightly. Nine Stories and Raise / Seymour are both much better than Franny or Catcher.
>>
>>7637593
I'll have to read those
I didn't think Franny was that good. Reminded me of The Royal Tenenbaums but with bigger assholes
>>
>>7636561
I never said that Nabokov liked Gogol. I never said that Gogol is a realist. Gogol's social critique and literary influence make him a realist author, however.
>>
/lit/ seems to ignore how mad in love with Gogol he was.
He wrote an entire book basically praising him as the greatest russian author ever.
>>
>>7637604
where do you think wes got the idea
>>
File: gogol.jpg (44KB, 325x499px) Image search: [Google]
gogol.jpg
44KB, 325x499px
pic related
>>
He liked Joyce, Gogol, and for some odd reason Austen.
>>
File: 1452827981532.jpg (13KB, 306x325px) Image search: [Google]
1452827981532.jpg
13KB, 306x325px
>>7637619
>Gogol, Nikolai. Nobody takes his mystical didacticism seriously. At his worst, as in his Ukrainian stuff, he is a worthless writer; at his best, he is incomparable and inimitable. Loathe his moralistic slant, am depressed and puzzled by his inability to describe young women, deplore his obsession with religion.
>puzzled by his inability to describe young women
>>
>>7636273
The Real Life of Sebastian Knight is criminally underrated. It's a much better version of Pale Fire, which is actually one of his weakest novels.
>>
>>7636254
Nabokov, Vladimir. Excellent prose stylist. Dreadful poet. Terrible critic. Nobody takes his opinions on literature seriously.
>>
File: Jorge-Luis-Borges.jpg (103KB, 1080x861px) Image search: [Google]
Jorge-Luis-Borges.jpg
103KB, 1080x861px
>Borges, Jorge Luis. A favorite. How freely one breathes in his marvelous labyrinths! Lucidity of thought, purity of poetry. A man of infinite talent.

based Borges
>>
>>7636254
>>7637453
>they don't realize these bits are notes someone extracted from longer sentences
I know /lit/ only pretends to read, but come on
>>
Who gives a damn about what Nabokov thinks? He was probably the most overrated writer of the 20th century. His English prose is awful. Perhaps his writings in his native Russian are better, but I would doubt it.
>>
>>7637794
>native
He's a native Anglophone as well my guy. He thought better of his English I think.
>>
>>7637810
Well then his Russian must have been truly awful
>>
>>7636552
He said Tolstoy was for children and mocked his longer works
>>
>>7637652

wew vlad
>>
>>7637491
He was the most petty of liberals, he hated everyone with different perspectives
>>
>>7637491
What the hell? You can say that he's bad (and I don't really like him either) but calling him a nonentity is an ass pull
>>
>>7637794
i wouldn't deem it terrible but definitely confusing
>>
>>7637816
I think it must be clear from this thread that one should not trust 1. Nabokov's opinions, 2. the opinions of any artist in general, esp. in relation to their own work. I mean, he thought of Lolita as some special light in his past that he would return to now and again and be warmed by, or some shit, and it's nowhere near his best.
>>
>>7636254
Reading this is pretty fun, any other authors do this?
>>
>The Metamorphosis. Second-greatest masterpiece of 20th century prose.

Can he read German?
>>
>>7637850
https://archive.org/stream/VladimirNabokovLecturesOnRussianLiterature/Vladimir_Nabokov_Lectures_on_Russian_LiteratureBookFi.org_djvu.txt
>Tolstoy is the greatest Russian writer of prose fiction.
>his art was so powerful, so tiger bright, so original and universal that it easily transcends the sermon.
>>
>>7637913

he could read some German but he wasn't fluent.
>>
>>7637900

http://www.saylor.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/James-Joyce-Literary-Tastes.pdf

Jungle Jim had a few opinions. His are a bit more tame though, and I can agree with many more of them. James Joyce was an awful poet like Nabokov though, and his taste in poetry, while not as shit, isn't very refined. It seems to me more of a novelist's taste than a poet's taste. Which makes sense.
>>
>>7637957

actually rereading it, other than calling Shelley and Wordsworth comparable to Shakespeare, his poetry opinions aren't too bad.
>>
>>7637723
>prose stylist
wew
>>
>>7637747
Nearly everyone with even a modicum of taste can recognize Borges' brilliance, but it STILL took him until he was in his fifties to achieve recognition and fame.

I don't know whether this is depressing or encouraging.
>>
>>7638011

it's encouraging because he was able to achieve recognition in his lifetime. That's better than many other non-middlebrow mavericks.
>>
>>7637652
I don't know about those quotes, have you read the actual book? Pages and pages of Gogol dick-sucking (It's great, just trying to describe how positively Nabo wrote).
>>
>>7637855
Stealing this meme for personal purposes.
>>
>>7636213

Roald Dahl?
>>
>James McConkey, a writer and a professor of English Literature who inherited the European Novel course after Nabokov left Cornell, remembers seeing Nabokov, "his whole face flushed and red," running out of the classroom where he was lecturing and into the office of the (still existent at the time) Division of Literature. Nabokov appeared to be so agitated that McConkey actually worried that "he was going to have a stroke or something . . . He was stammering . . . I thought he might fall over." Apparently, this "Pninian-size rage" was occasioned by one of the students' pointed question as to whether, if Professor Nabokov refused to discuss Dostoyevsky, the student himself could.

Was Nabokov autistic?
>>
>>7638251

Man, this is self-importance to an unbelievable level. Nabokov wasn't a "genius" enough to be allowed to do this. Most real geniuses wouldn't do this.

If he hated the idea of engaging in 2-way dialogue, whether the student is worth it or not, why did he teach? Could have done like Wallace Stevens and worked at a law firm...
>>
>>7636254
>Faulkner, William.
> Dislike him. Writer of corncobby chronicles.

brilliant thataboy vlad 10/10 kek
>>
>>7638263
>Cornfather talking about corn
What pottery
>>
>>7638298
that's literally why
>>
>>7638251
Objecting to some clueless student questioning his critical judgment, scholarship and posturing to have insight Nabokov didn't have -- hardly autism.
>>
>>7636273
Pnin was my favorite of his and his least serious
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.