[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: 1984.jpg (854KB, 1301x2124px) Image search: [Google]
1984.jpg
854KB, 1301x2124px
Newfag here,
What are your thoughts about this book?
>>
>>7635244
complex political issue reduced to false dichotomy, tedious prose style, weak characterizations and understanding of human motive

just imo of course!
>>
File: rog.jpg (22KB, 488x488px) Image search: [Google]
rog.jpg
22KB, 488x488px
>"fat" clearly readable on cover
>>
>>7635244
It's great, but people here don't like it.
>>
>>7635260
What did you like the most about it?
>>
>>7635244
It's a decent book.
>>
It's a very nice novel. Enjoyed it a lot when I read it the first time, and it didn't lose it's appeal on the second read through.
>>
I don't get why it's so influential. I don't understand warning the people about fascism after the second world war. Surely people got the picture after Hitler and Stalin It hasn't been prophetic. I feel like everything this book was trying to do, Brave New World did better, and with far more literary merit.

It was fine, but I don't get why it's so revered.
>>
It's a high school book. It's decent, but too many people evoke it to accuse their enemies of being Orwellian.

>>7635260
Few people here "don't love it". More so we don't love it and think its the best book ever.
>>
>>7635416
*"don't like it"
>>
I honestly think its an amazing book about
warning about facism post WWII. It has a
decent story with great detail on characters and
setting. Its a simple book with a suprising
ending

>TLDR: Good book worth the read
>>
>>7635244
too much background and detail about the setting, read like 1/3rd of the book and I was thinking "omg fucking get to it man, yes proles, yes ministry of shit, yes dude so what?"
>>
>>7635399
i thought BNW was the worst-written classic i've read so far, almost unreadably bad prose.
>>
>>7635244
Loved it compared to Brave New World. The latter was a metric tonne of shit.
>>
Could it be that 1984 and Brave New World were so influential in the West due to the Cold War and fear of Communism? The introduction to my Everyman's version says that pretty much everyone misquoted Orwell out of context and used his book to fuel the Red Scare.

But then again, l'n a 3rd worlder who first read the books just last year, so l'm probably talking out of my ass.
>>
>>7636006
Aldous Huxley is a bad, bad writer.
>>
>>7636687

Yes, the reputation of 1984 is largely down to its promotion by the CIA. Orwell's a functional writer, the book's essentially a big, big editorial. Orwell's mentor Chesterton wrote similar thrillers of ideas, but his ideas - basically, traditionalist Catholicism - aren't of much use to the American government, so their readership is smaller, even though The Man Who Was Thursday, at the very least, is a much better-written book.
>>
>>7635886
heres your (you)
>>
>>7636006
why are those books always compared?

there are a lot of dytopians books but just those are compared, why?
>>
>>7636720

No, he's just a pure novelist of ideas who doesn't spend much time on charaterisation, his readers expected that.
>>
>>7635886
unexpected ending, what did you think would happen?
>>
1984 is one of those books I'm glad I never read. I can't be bothered to relate more closely with redditors, and self-important highschool kids that have just read their first dystopian. It's a shit genre, much like fantasy, where even the best of the bunch still fall short of literary excellence.
>>
>>7635244
It's pretty decent. The appendix was the best part desu.
>>
>>7636757
Because
a) they're the two most popular and
b) offer very different types of dystopia
>>
>>7636794
I would think someone like Borges fits your description and executes his style deftly. Aldous Huxley is the left's Ayn Rand, he writes artless philosophical novels that are meant to instruct and moralize a set of values.

Not to mention, Brave New World came across terribly awkwardly, but less arrogant than that piece of shit Island.
>>
>>7637353
*I should have written "moralize his readership with his own stringent set of values."
>>
Spawned some political terminology that's fun to use. That's it's biggest contribution. Otherwise its basically an essay dressed up as a story, a decent story to be fair with decent characters who all have slightly jarring characteristics and motivations which make their purpose as devices for political dialogue quite transparent.
Also the prose is very unnoteworthy, good first book to read when you want to get into literature.
>>
>>7635244
Probably one of the greatest books ever written.

Read it a while ago after a long period of reading only technical books, and it destroyed my soul.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.