[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /lit/ recommend for comfy bedtime reading? Nothing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

File: comfy.jpg (65KB, 601x601px) Image search: [Google]
comfy.jpg
65KB, 601x601px
What does /lit/ recommend for comfy bedtime reading?
Nothing that takes any effort whatsoever, possibly with pictures.
>>
finnegans wake
>>
>>7635136
Alice in Wonderland
>>
>>7635136
Any of Shel Silverstein's poetry books.
>>
austerlitz by sebald is pretty comfy, and has comfy pictures throughout
>>
The Count of Monte Cristo
War and Peace
Kipling
>>
>>7635168
Seconding this

Also Winnie the Pooh
>>
File: 1446569609394.jpg (108KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1446569609394.jpg
108KB, 640x640px
THE TAO OF POOH BY HOFF. ITS SO MF-ING COMFY NIGGA.
>>
>>7635210
Monte Cristo is too intense to be comfy. Some scenes got my adrenaline pumping, others made me cry.

>“Did you experience your father’s death in your absence? Did you see the woman you loved hold out her hand to your rival, while you were croaking in the depths of the abyss?”

Not a great recipe for making yourself doze off.

Anyway OP, Aesop's fables are cute and short. I'm considering the Arabian Nights; I think that would be an especially fitting bedtime read.
>>
>>7635214
Seconding Pooh
>>
Wind In The Willows is obviously the COAT.
>>
>>7635136
Genre fiction obviously
>>
File: 234.jpg (51KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
234.jpg
51KB, 600x450px
Mira Gonzalez

>Infinite Jest in the background
>>
Books based on video games
Coloring books
Memes
>>
Growth of the Soil is hella comfy
I know if you've read Hunger you may not think Hamsun does comfy, but he does like crazy.
>>
>>7636022
Which would you recommend to read first for someone who's never read Hamsun before? Or maybe even a different book of his, other than one of these two?
>>
>>7635166
This. Its effortless
>>
>>7636039
I typically recommend Hunger because that's the on most discussed, but Growth of the Soil is also a good starting place. They're two very different novels, so it just boils down to personal preference.
>>
>>7635136
Eyes of the Dragon
>>
>>7636039

It is imperative that you read the translations published by FSG!

Hunger
Mysteries
Pan
Victoria

all 10/10
>>
>>7636104
Cool, thanks!

>>7636168
Are the penguin texts no good?
>>
>>7636169
>>7636168
>>7636104
PS I just looked at Hamsun's bibliography and almost shit my pants. How many of his books are translated to English? Are they worth exploring beyond the 5-6 that we've mentioned in this thread?
>>
>>7636175
I'm pretty sure most are translated into English because muh Nobel winner. The ones mentioned in this thread are all worth reading, any further is only if you're a big fan, or have an academic interest.
>>
>>7636187
Cool, thanks!
>>
>>7635210

>The Count of Monte Cristo
My current comfy bedtime companion.

>>7635872
It's a great a read before bed!
>>
File: 121809238508320582058.png (129KB, 327x327px) Image search: [Google]
121809238508320582058.png
129KB, 327x327px
>>7635136
I never understood bedtime reading. I can't imagine reading when I need to sleep. It would keep me up to find out what happens in the story.
>>
>>7636295
I've cut back on drinking so I'm up for fucking forever nowadays anyway.
>>
File: 485818846_1749d8e1c3_b[1].jpg (353KB, 1024x648px) Image search: [Google]
485818846_1749d8e1c3_b[1].jpg
353KB, 1024x648px
>>7635872
>Did you see the woman you loved hold out her hand to your rival, while you were croaking in the depths of the abyss?

When did he see her do this? I don't remember him seeing her when he was imprisoned.
>>
>>7636482
what is this shit?
that's clearly a painted set.
>>
>>7636482
He didn't; it was a figurative rather than literal question on his part, based on what he learned later. Actually I'm pretty sure he said it to Mercédès herself, when she was telling him that he wasn't the only one who had suffered after he left.
>>
>>7636482
he never physically saw any of that.
>>
>>7635136
My Education by William S Burroughs.

It isn't like, comfy or easy. BUT it's about dreams and it's really fun to read before you go to sleep because it gets you hyped AF to go to dream land.
>>
File: Count_of_Monte_Cristo_1913[1].jpg (849KB, 1986x1554px) Image search: [Google]
Count_of_Monte_Cristo_1913[1].jpg
849KB, 1986x1554px
>>7636503
>>7636505
Ahh okay that's what I thought. I'm halfway through right now, it really is a great read.
>>
>>7636529
it's weird, I remember reading that as a teenager in solitary confinement in a jail. that world absorbed me, but nothing so strong as his encounter with Faria, i was enveloped in that world for two or three weeks, the only other human contact I had was the sound of blacks screeching, and the squeak of the cell door window opening and closing as the turnkey passed. In an odd way, it was one of the greatest times of my life.
>>
Gulliver's Travels
>>
File: count-3-e1327266137691[1].jpg (95KB, 628x433px) Image search: [Google]
count-3-e1327266137691[1].jpg
95KB, 628x433px
>>7636540
That's a great way of looking book at the situation. What were you in for? Solitary for a teenager, that's rough.
>>
>>7636549
I was caught selling drugs, essentially. Books are the only solace in a jail setting. TV is even more inane when surrounded by morons staring at it with you, and if you can manage to blot out the sound of the mouthbreathers, you can find peace. Solitary confinement was an advantage for getting lost in a book. you lose track of time, of everything, all your interests other than those in the book wither away. I even lost my own style of speech, of writing, in exchange for that of the author, and his translator of course. I remember the day another man was brought into the cell, a hood nigga, well versed in ebonics.. he literally couldn't understand me. after about 3 days of him being around, and interrupting me, pulling me away, I spoke as he did. I think that's why the ending was never very strong in my memory. It was spoiled by a nigger.
>>
>>7636555
At least all he managed to ruin was the ending to a book!

I barely lasted the few days I was in for as an adult, I can't imagine weeks as a teenager.

I think a lot of people, including me, sometimes borrow elements from their reading. I used to drink way too much and put on my best Don Quixote.

>checked.
>>
>>7636569
try over a year. heh, i read quite a lot, in fact, i even read Don Quixote.
>>
>>7636580
Jesus you must have had some weight on you when they got you.

A year is a long fucking time; thankfully you had books.
>>
>>7636580
Over a year as a teen for dealing drugs? Something sounds fishy here. Did you curbstomp a nigga for getting on your turf? It's okay, we still love you
>>
>>7636555
>spoiled
I think you mean raped.
>>
>>7636583
only two ounces, the problem was the nigger i had driving me and selling my drugs tried to run from the cops in a high speed chase going in excess of 100mph.
>>7636617
actually, he was a pretty buff dude. but jail is a different environment from prison, and this was about as small town jail as you could get, so it wasnt too difficult to manage. rape usually occurs from what i've been told and on one occasion HEARD, when a dominant deviant gets placed in a cell alone with a loudmouth weakling. In prison usually there's a system of gift giving that becomes debt with the threat of violence behind it, which eventually becomes rape. My advice, never take anything from anyone, even if they give it to you, be fairly quiet, but not too quiet that you don't have a couple of "friends", and just mind your own damn business.
>>
File: count-of-monte-cristo[1].jpg (44KB, 681x450px) Image search: [Google]
count-of-monte-cristo[1].jpg
44KB, 681x450px
>>7636626
I hope you've found better ways to make money now than selling drugs with idiot drivers!

Thank you for the insight into a prisoner's world, I think I'll aim to never have to recall any of your advice, though.
>>
>>7635976

Thirded. Literally read Pooh right before bed.
>>
>>7636042
And you can read it forever
>>
I'd love to read at night but since I am in a dorm and have a roommate, I can't necessarily keep on the light. He can't even sleep with the lamp on. Does anyone have any advice on how I would be able to get some reading time in at night?
>>
>>7638322
kindle
>>
>>7635136
Agree with Winnie the Pooh. The Little Prince and Calvino's Cosmocomics might be good too (I listened to a Radiolab reading of The Surface of the Moon before bedtime once and it was really simple and comfy, like a children's fable). The Tao Te Ching / Dao De Jing might be good too, each page is just a short and calm poetry piece, and if you get tired as you go through it's very easy to just finish the poem you're on and save the rest for later (though it's quite short already).
>>
>>7638331
This, or a general ereading device like an iPad, or even your laptop if you'd be comfortable with that (just turn down the brightness, get f.lux, etc).
>>
Capital by Karl Marx

warm and fuzzy meditations on value theory and the circulation of commodities, plus the tickling reassurance that this is all temporary

feels great
>>
Cannery Row, followed by Sweet Thursday, with a cup of cocoa with whiskey added

welcome to the world of sublime comfy
>>
>>7635633
Favorite easy book to read. One of the few books I've read multiple times
>>
I like to read pessimists before bed because they make me enthusiastic about unconsciousness.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.