[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best horror fiction plz.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

Best horror fiction plz.
>>
tips fedora
>>
apparently Thomas Ligotti is not bad for that. I've only read his Conspiracy Against the Human Race, which is one of the funniest things I've ever encountered.
>>
>>7634747
Shining
Books of Blood
The Hellbound Heart
Song of Kali
Misery
Pet Semetary
Lovecraft Collected Works.
Amityville Horror
The Exorcist
Child of God
Broken Monsters is new
Painted Bird
The Stranger Beside Me
The Girl Next Door (Ketchum)
The Vampyre and other tales by Polidori
Dracula Frankenstein etc
>>
>>7634782
Forgot Ligotti, teatro grottesco is hit or miss on stories, but a couple are as good as any lovecraft. I really liked Our Temporary Supervisor.
>>
>>7634782
Please, tell me about Conspiracy. Is it worth the reading? I don't find anything trustworthy anywhere.
>>
>>7634782
>Conspiracy Against the Human Race, which is one of the funniest things I've ever encountered.

Seems like a kneejerk reactionary response to the horribly depressive nihilism Ligotti has.
>>
>>7634808
Wouldn't a kneejerk reactionary response be to get angry about it and insult it and its integrity? Laughing is a different matter.
>>
>>7634792
>>7634808

Its not horror, its more of a philosophical tract trumpeting the triumphs of nihilistic pessimism, and basically suggesting that we would be better off killing ourselves. Its non-fiction and an appeal from the author to you.

It was a amusing but I put it down, reading the whole thing doesnt mesh with my personality.
>>
File: ohwhistle-mcbride.jpg (427KB, 572x600px) Image search: [Google]
ohwhistle-mcbride.jpg
427KB, 572x600px
>>7634782
I like Ligotti, but sometimes I feel like he can get really tiring, especially when he injects his characters with his philosophical rantings.

OP, check some of these out:
M.R. James - Count Magnus and Other Ghost Stories
Arthur Machen - The White People and Other Weird Stories
Robert Aickman - Cold Hand in Mine (kind of a proto-Ligotti in a way)
L.A. Lewis - Tales of the Grotesque
If you're completely new to horror fiction, Lovecraft and Poe are also pretty essential.
>>
>>7634808
>Seems like a kneejerk reactionary response to the horribly depressive nihilism Ligotti has.
It wasn't knee-jerk I read the book with an open mind and quite enjoyed it, it's just the absolutely numbing nihilism eventually entered into absurdity for me. It's just so bizarre to follow those types of thoughts through that far that it started registering as comedy.
I'm well aware that for him it's no laughing matter because I'm sure he actually feels that way. But you have to admit there's something sort of entertaining about the 'malignantly useless!' refrain.
>>
File: 745.jpg (37KB, 505x334px) Image search: [Google]
745.jpg
37KB, 505x334px
>>7634790
>>>7634782
>Forgot Ligotti, teatro grottesco is hit or miss on stories, but a couple are as good as any lovecraft.
>>
File: 1379301805601.gif (32KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1379301805601.gif
32KB, 250x250px
>>7634823
>>
>>7634747
House of Leaves
The ghost stories of M.R. James

You are welcome.
>>
>>7634783

>Pet Semetary

Top kek
>>
Is it possible to great literatue manifest on horror genre?
>>
>>7634747
House of Leaves
Dan Simmons - The Terror
Peter Clines - 14
Carlton Mellick III - Zombies and Shit
The King in Yellow
The Notebook, The Proof, and the Third Lie
Ryu Murakami - In the Miso Soup
Marisha Pessl - Night Film
Dennis Lehane - Shutter Island
David Wong - John Dies at the End
Tom Piccirilli - A Choir of Ill Children
Robert Mccammon
Dathan Auerbach - Penpal
>>
File: uzumaki.jpg (120KB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
uzumaki.jpg
120KB, 854x480px
>>7635092
Wait, these are great works of horror.

Nothing on this page is a great work of literature except maybe Frankenstein, Dracula, MR James, Poe, The King in Yellow, and pic related
>>
File: CHIM.jpg (83KB, 310x518px) Image search: [Google]
CHIM.jpg
83KB, 310x518px
good chit right here. haunts you long after...
>>
>>7634920
Ligotti is much better than Lovecraft.
>>
>>7635398
That is exactly what I meant
>>
its weird
a lot of writers pre-romantic period wrote in genres and studied in genres and during the romantic and everything after, genre fiction is now looked down upon as trash literature. Do you think there should be a resurgence in finding the literary value in genre fiction?
>>
>>7635398
He's certainly more 'literary' even if he consciously doesn't try to be. In fact, he seems to embrace the 'genre fiction' label because he doesn't give a shit
>>
>>7634747
Check out the works of R.L. Stine. I highly recommend the 'Goosebumps' series. They really make you think. Trust me, you'll be sleeping with one eye open!
>>
>>7636567
Is this what passes for bait on /lit/? Its pretty bad desu.
>>
Cyclonopedia
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.