[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

story format

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1453933780183.gif (2MB, 400x224px) Image search: [Google]
1453933780183.gif
2MB, 400x224px
90% of fanfiction id absolute cancer, I think few here will dispute that. But I'm curious about the episodic format that most fanfiction is told in.

how would /lit/ go about making that work?

pic unrelated
>>
You do know that many great novels were published serially, right?
>>
I suppose I would write one book and then my publisher would tell me if it had cash cow potential and then I would write many.
>>
episodic storytelling is one of the oldest forms of narrative senpai
>>
>>7634079
No I didn't.
Links?
>>
>>7634096
Dickens, pretty much everything by him.
Hell, it's not even something you can 'link' because it was so widespread from the invention of the modern 'novel' in the ~17th century up until the dawn of the 20th.
>>
>>7634101
I was thinking about something that would be released chapter by chapter. almost like a tv show.

something that would update once a week or on a similar schedule.
>>
>>7634116
Which is what they used to do. A small section of the novel would be released, usually weekly.
>>
>>7634133
Which is what*
>>
Accelerando by Charles Stross was written and released episodically, as recently as 2005. I'm sure there are plenty of ongoing stories happening like that even now that I just don't know about. As has been said, it's pretty normal.

HPMoR is sort of like that but I'm not advocating it as a piece of good writing.
>>
>>7634073
I remember reading that Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray was published chapter by chapter in the sunday newspaper
>>
>>7634116

Look at this guy... Episodic lit was huge back then. Not just Dickens, you had whole Europe releasing work in that way. Every country had newspapers, dedicated or regular, that had original fiction released in them. Even huge novels like The Count of Monte Cristo, and Brothers Karamarov were released as serials.

It was often more profitable for authors to do it that way. For the poorer people it was also the only way to get into fiction. Books were very expensive.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.