[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>/lit/'s sudden collective hatred for all of our classic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (140KB, 793x501px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
140KB, 793x501px
>/lit/'s sudden collective hatred for all of our classic memes occurs at the exact same time as the post-Hypersphere reddit influx

>no one bats an eye

We truly lost, lads.
>>
i havent been here in months why do we hate the memes now
>>
>>7632707
>>7632710
Get with the times, gramps. That's the way these puppies operate. You love something until it gets too mainstream, even if it's just memed on /lit/, then you turn around and act like you always hated because it's cool

Contrarianism is hip, daddy-o
>>
I say let it burn. I'd rather the plebs be visible than have people who pretend to like Pynchon/Joyce but can't speak a single intelligent word about them.

One day this board's gonna go, no sense trying to cling to the past.
>>
>>7632707
What would you call the opposite of xenophobia?

It'd be that
>>
Catch-22 is lit core? I love the book but I never see it takes about here.
>>
>>7632707

>Post-hypersphere reddit influx

What?
Also, I've noticed a general trend across all of the handful of boards I frequent in contrarian posting. On /tv/ its a thing to miss George Lucas and love the prequels post-new Star Wars. On /lit/ it's become suddenly popular to post about how bad Cormac is, for always no reason.

Extra contrarian posting is a thing now, I guess most people just now started reading Sartre?
>>
>>7632718
Are there any other active lit imageboards?
>>
Their meme status is what killed them. Once pics of DFW and Pynchon showed up in every thread, nobody could take them seriously anymore.
>>
>>7632723
>posts on /tv/
>likes cormac mccarthy
how can you have so little self awareness? you're the problem moron
>>
>>7632725
And it's a shame, because despite what I'm about to be replied to with, they're both really good writers.
>>
>>7632745
I agree
>>
>>7632707
the only ones that belong on there are Ulysses Bros K and Moby Dick. Catch-22 is a personal fave, but isnt coreworthy. the rest of them can go straight to the trash. Lolita is the work of a rotund pedophile, Pynchwalls are clearly juvenile drek, and who the fuck is McCarthy?
>>
>>7632723
retard detected

>>7632707
catch 22 is reddit core you faggot stop shilling your garbage image
>>
>>7632724
There's academia + real people
>>
>>7632762
Isn't x-core defined not by the quality of the work, but by its prevalence on the board? There's no way IJ should not be on the list in that case
>>
>>7632787
well, i can accept that definition.
>>
>>7632724

Depends.

None are as active, if you consider the endless stream of shitposting and redundancy here as being active.

Additionally, if you are looking for an elitist replacement, you are going to be disappointed.
>>
>>7632710
I think we switched the meme trilogy to Women and Men, 2666, and another novel that no one can seem to agree with.
>>
>>7632820
The Recognitions
>>
>>7632745
Well one of them is. Hint: he can write and think, and his talent can be discerned
>>
no wait, you know what? The Tunnel, Gaddis is too good for the likes of /lit/, really.
>>
>>7632837
exactly, Stephen King is the better of the two.
>>
>>7632784
Fuck you, there are only two options.
>>
Were you ever found to begin with?
>>
>>7632707

I myself am currently searching for the gigantic impenetrable novels that will be the darlings here two evolutionary steps from now, long after the Gaddises and McElroys have been consigned by /lit/ to the pleb pile.
>>
>>7632850
any luck so far?
>>
>>7632837
dfw is much better than pinecone
>>
>>7632850
It'll probably be Dante's Inferno, Miss Macintosh, My Darling, and In Search of Lost Time.
>>
>>7632707
Add stoner and you're set lmao
>>
>>7632850
There was a Hungarian one floating around a while back. 900+ pages and Joycean language.
>>
File: dfw enlighten me.png (534KB, 683x694px) Image search: [Google]
dfw enlighten me.png
534KB, 683x694px
>>7632707
>tfw my meme chart gets saved
>>
>>7632707
Catch-22 is literally high school-core. I know because I read it in high school. Not saying it's bad, it's fantastic, but you can't say it's on par with Ulysses or Moby goddamn Dick
>>
>>7632707
you're an idiot
people who actually read books come here a few times/week
shitposters aren't the board core
>>
>>7632919
also way to sneak catch-22 in there you cunt; that's never been a meme
exchange for stirner or stoner
>>
Moby Dick is the greatest novel ever written.
>>
>>7632925
one of my fave memes
>>
>>7632707
honestly I'm glad people are sick of GR and IJ, Im fucking tired of reading the same halfassed threads about them.

I'd rather read Gaddis and Gass threads
>>
>>7632707
If it's largely the same userbase as it was 5 years ago then it's probably about time we moved away from discussing the same 6 works over and over again.
>>
What are our meme poets/poems?
>>
>>7634067
Prufrock
>>
>>7634072
not even close

>>7634067
no one here really reads poetry. i can count on one hand the number of anons i see here who actually read poetry with some breadth and depth. and even then some of them have weird/super idiosyncratic opinions/tastes.
>>
>>7634080
i'm a rank amateur and my barebones poetry reading still puts me in the top percentile on this degenerate board desu
>>
>>7632723
>/lit/ it's become suddenly popular to post about how bad Cormac is, for always no reason.
I hope this is high-effort bait because I'm rustled. Recognizing Cormac as a hack has been part of this board for much longer than prequelposting or your time here.
>>7632707
>tfw no more He Rapes His Sister threads
>>
i've been diligently spamming the mccarthy is shit line of thought for years i'm glad it's finally reaching critical mass

guy is a fucking hack. only redneck americans like him
>>
>>7634103
This. I've been doing the same with Pynchshit and David Foster Worthless shit for months.
>>
>>7632723
>post-new Star Wars
It began months before the premiere.
>>
>>7634108
mccarthy - appeals to blue collar merifats
dfw - appeals to upper middle class white americans

it's all vapid pandering focusing on an extremely narrow aspect of life, with very little aesthetic value behind it, but gets championed because plebs can relate to them. the sad part is they don't even realize that's what they're doing, they subconsciously see aspects of their own lives in those books and mistake the resonance due to similarity with genuine artistic catharsis.

pynchon is ok.
>>
>>7632707
Growing disgust over DFW and Pynchon spam has been going on for months m8. They are great books but now that everyone does nothing but talk about them they are loathed. Blood Meridian got the same treatment 6 months ago.

Same as it ever was for a 4chan board.
>>
>>7634067
Homer
>>
>>7634067
No one here gives a shit about poetry so no one has bothered making a meme list
>>
NO DISCERNABLE
NO DISCERNABLE
NO DISCERNABLE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>7634067
poetry is a meme here.
>>
>>7632710
We don't, it's just some people trying to make a new meme trilogy every week.
>>
>>7632715
>Contrarianism is hip
no it fucking isnt u pleb
>>
>>7634067
Yeats
Keats
Beats
>>
>>7632914
>tfw mine didnt
:'(
>>
>>7634125
When did this supposed BM pogrom take place? I've a feeling I would remember such a thing happening, especially within the last half year. Requesting post numbers or screenshots to see this shit going down.

DFW has been on the wane since traffic picked up. I'll grant that. It appeals to the pretentious middle class who like the author have nebulous dreams of success to achieve to fulfill their parents expectations. It's an obvious choice for a n00b to take bragging rights from reading it/pretending to read it, just like when I first picked up a copy when it was still in hardback, flicked through a few pages and noped the idea of ever reading it when I saw how obsessed with drugs he was for someone who had never taken drugs. The only thing that could make it a more obvious choice if he had written about being obsessed with sex and drugs, despite being a virgin shut in. The usual Bloom hate memes have increased with his increasing memeing, but there's not enough of it to maintain the old ratio of good sense to fanboyism. Fanboys are winning this one, and losing the battle of board quality.

Pynchon hasn't got much hate that I can see. He hasn't increased in spam sessions either, which is unfortunate because he writes some good 4chan appropriate scat scenes. I think his stagnation if anything is a sign that we're not being inundated by those anti-meme trilogy, but inundated by people who assume DFWfanboyism somehow elevates them from trollable newb status.

Obviously it doesn't, since they're demonstrably greater idiots than the newbs who got through 3 books before giving us their worthless, naive, and stupid opinions on board quality. When we had kids who read BM, they knew some divide and conquer trickery at least. Now we're just "daddy told me i was smart like him"- the underachiever board.
>>
>>7634221
>wane since
"until" not "since"

I forgot to sage this retarded thread too.
>>
>>7634221
Wew lad
>>
>>7634210
>contrarianism will become so hip that it stops being cool
Holy shit, it's all falling apart.
>>
>Tfw dual majoring in lit fields in a prestigious university
>Got interested in lit through years of 4chan
>Read tons of great works and have an intelligent academic understanding of the western canon
>My favorite books will always be 90% /lit/core
>>
>>7634281
>>My favorite books will always be 90% /lit/core

/lit/core is just made up of "classics".
>>
>>7634289
This is so embarrassing. None of 4chan's board's "core" lists are unique, they are literally just a list of the most popular, polarizing and influencial things of each medium. It confuses me how people look down upon someone who reads or likes /lit/core, when it really just means that he actually cares about the medium and not just hides behind obscure shit nobody can talk about.
>>
>>7634325
the only embarrassing part of /lit/core is DFW. He'll be unread and forgotten within the generation. Pretty much everything else is fine.
>>
>>7634265
This has already happened several times
>>
>>7634265
Give in, let the misanthropy flow through you.
>>
There are some Goodreads groups that are insanely patrician.
>>
W O M E N AND M E N
O
M
E
N
&
M
E
N
>>
>>7634331
pynchon is even worse

john green tier
>>
>>7635148
such as?
>>
File: 1447340373287.gif (2MB, 383x204px) Image search: [Google]
1447340373287.gif
2MB, 383x204px
>>7635148
namely?
>>
>god tier
Ulysses
Infinite Jest
Blood Meridian

>good tier
Brothers Karamazov
Moby Dick

>pleb tier
Lolita
Catch-22
>>
>>7635221
>infinite jest and blood meridian better than moby dick and karamazov

literally kill yourself, pleb.
>>
>>7635180
Wow
Look
Meme
>>
>>7632707
that chart was literally made by a post-reddit board hopper this month. I was in the thread.
>>
>>7632820
oh yeah I actually made that thread however many months ago to stir some shit up but can't we love both the new memes and the old memes. appreciate the memes without meme ageism guys
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.