[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

E-readers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 10

File: 0816_sonyereader_1000.jpg (324KB, 1200x856px) Image search: [Google]
0816_sonyereader_1000.jpg
324KB, 1200x856px
Been thinking of getting an e-reader. Does anyone on /lit/ have one? What's the model, how are you feeling about it, would you recommend it?
>>
>>7631519
use it for stuff you don't want to think too much about and don't remember, perfect for entertainment literature.
>>
Just get a bluelight filter for your smartphone and read there.

I do this for poetry and read non fiction on my computer. I pay for nothing now.
>>
>>7631519
I have a semi old kindle 3 with wifi I never use. I've gotten a decent library of ebooks on my computer to be read in the future but already have put some 300 books onto it. Its pretty handy since I have to move a lot, like every 6 months, which hinders me from buying books for now.

The trick with using an e-reader is to keep it organized. I keep mine divided into categories like Poetry, <Language> Literature, Philosophy, History, Biographies, etc... and try to read one book of every category up to 5 books at a time to not lose all track of my progress. Its a challenge to keep reading the same long book for the same time and not start a new smaller novelle or something but its doable. I do read though from both paper and my e-reader but I find that I find it clearer to read from the e-reader than some books, since I can change the letter sizing and words-per-line which can sometimes be annoying if you get a book that has been printed with too many words in one line. It just makes for more attentions being needed to follow the text, which some people here on this board tend to find more patrician.
>>
Kindle 4.
Bought cheaply because it was second hand. Works fantastic, long battery, comfy (you gotta buy a cover tho).

I'd recommend it, get a Paperwhite if you can.
>>
>>7631525
Oh, look, another luddite comes crawling out of the woodwork to flaunt around the fact that he buys REAL books.
>>
I got the first edition of the nook to have the e-paper. Never had a problem with it. also comes with the wall charger which the kindle doesn't. also doesn't have ads like the kindles do.

penis
>>
>>7631525
What shit.
>>
>>7631784
>penis

Why did you write that?
I've seen quite a few people ending their posts with things like "penis", "aids", and shit like that. Do you guys have autism?
>>
>perfect for entertainment literature.

Actually it's the other way around for me. Crime novels and short stuff is for physical book and on reader I've big things. Brother's Karamazov, lotr, complete works of Shakespeare...

Nothing is as satisfying as holding monstrosity of words in one hand on the sun.
>>
Should I get the kobo glo hd or kindle paperwhite, or is there a good option for cheaper?
>>
Kindle Keyboard and Paperwhite, both are great
>>
i use like the cheapest first gen kobo.

I use it to read like the newest franzen, popular black author books, nesbo, hemmingway etc when I'm in bed. it is nice not holding a book, and easy to pirate that popular shit.

i'd never use it to read something too serious tho.

is there one with a better dictionary? get that. pressing on a word to look it up has been really useful unless you have the willpower to actually look up words while reading.
>>
>>7632160
kindle

no
>>
>>7632178
por que?
>>
>>7632313
Kindle Voyage/Paperwhite is the best right now. Not even a shill, since Amazon loses money on every kindle it makes and no one with an ereader here actually pays for books.
>>
>>7632346
but why over the kobo glo hd/aura h20
>>
>>7632346
>>7632372
I'd also like to hear why you prefer the Kindle Paperwhite over the Kobo Glo HD. I've heard mixed opinions and am likely to buy a Kobo in the next few days unless you (or somebody else) makes a good counterpoint.
>>
>>7631519
just read books on ur fucking iphone u pleb of shit, ibooks r bestbooks
>>
>>7631753
why are so upset?
>>
>cheap
>easy to read
>distraction-free device
>free bookz nigga

Those are the pros when it comes to ebook readers. Kindle 4th gen is what I have, it's comfy.
>>
I got a Kobo Aura. It is great for reading on the packed trains. I found mine on sale and got it and a 32GB memory card for less than $100.
>>
I have a Kindle... Fire.
>>
I have pocketbook reader with touch screen, but since I started reading literature I stopped using him and started to buy books
1 every book is different to take in your hands
2 you can feel the pages
3 other people know what you read and how much you read
4 you don't have neet mentality to get everything for free
5 you can loan books or more likely read book again
6 it looks good in your home
7 you don't need electricity, you can drop books or use paper, you can take notes in the book
8 girls don't like ereaders

fact: ereaders are very popular because people can hide what they read

I started to use eraser because it's hard to get some books in my country, most of books I read then was self help books. Now I found a place where you can buy english language paperback books, many from lit 100 list so I'am quite happy now.
>>
ereaders have couple advantages, you can make text bigger and with some readers you can make screen glow in dark so you don't need good light to read, but this is child play as far as I concerned.
>>
I have the kindle with a keyboard. I'd recommend going on ebay and buying one, I don't use the keyboard very often but it's useful when I do and it makes holding the thing without obscuring the screen with my fat fingers really easy. They go from $30-50
>>
>>7633062
Currently on Kindle Fire as well. It's okay (medium weight, long battery life, purchased with charger), and I don't mind buying books straight from Amazon as my account was automatically connected, but God forbid it ever be stolen.
>>
Ive been through three readers now. Started off with some Sony non-touch thing, then a Kobo touch and now I have a aura.
If you do a lot of late night reading get something backlit, its just worth it. Im not a litfag, I honestly just read tons of fantasy, usually 300-500 pages a day and I love my reader.
True its not paper, but it's much easier to tote about. I even hollowed out an old hardcover that was damaged and I use that as a case so its got that sweet book feel.
>>
>>7631519
I have an old kindle, but honestly, I prefer paper books because there is more sensory feedback. You can't smell the age of an e-reader, you can't feel the texture of an e-reader page. You can't feel the weight of an e-reader. you can't hear the sound of an e-reader.

but I also hit my grumpy old man stage a little early. dang whippersnappers
>>
I have a samsung galaxy tablet that im willing to mess around with to turn it into a pdf whore. Anyone have experience on this?
>>
>>7631938
Everyone here has autism.
>>
>>7633096
>3 other people know what you read and how much you read
>6 it looks good in your home
>7 you don't need electricity, you can drop books or use paper, you can take notes in the book
>8 girls don't like ereaders

These are pretty pathetic reasons, senpai. If you're buying/reading books so other people can "know what you read and how much you read", you're doing it wrong. Also, the fact that a kindle's battery can last for weeks at a time makes your electricity excuse moot.

eReaders allow you to carry hundreds of books anywhere you go. I have one of the older Kindle Fire 7s and the dictionary function is incredibly useful. I use that thing all the time, and I hate not having the ability to look up words in half a second when I read traditional books. I've been thinking about getting one of the new paperwhites. Those seem pretty nifty.
>>
>>7633096
Just stop reading. You're embarrassing.
>>7635276
Get the paperwhite. Backlit. Wifi. Wiki access. MMmmmmMMMmmmmmm
>>
>>7632160
kobo, it is much better
>>
What's the most economical ereader that has a light, can read pirated books and doesn't lag?
>>
>>7631717
Can you read drm free mobi with the kindle? If so can you easily convert epubs into mobi?
>>
>>7635296
Yeah but can I pirate books on the paperwhite? >>7635358
Why does no one ever talk about the most important thing?
>>
>>7635358
Yes you can. Use Calibre to convert epub to mobi, it does a pretty good job.
>>
>>7635358
Yeah there's tons of free programs and websites that'll convert to mobi.
>>
>>7635375
>>7635379
Yeah but I mean without making mistakes in the text. Is it an exact copy of the epub? Or is it an ocr process?

Also please respond to >>7635369, I've heard the Kobo lags so I'm considering to buy the Kindle.
>>
File: 1452732622138.jpg (26KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1452732622138.jpg
26KB, 500x375px
>be me
>be 15 or so
>express interest in books to my mom
>"oh maybe i can get you a kindle or something"
>tell her i don't want one, rather have physical paper books
>she says okay
>ff to christmas day
>open up present
>nook
>whisper to brother right there in the living room "i don't want this"
>mom hears me of course, tells me she'll take it
>dad dies
>instead of getting a job to take care of us or dealing with the pain, mom distracts herself with the nook for 2 years straight

no e-readers for me. They nearly ruined my life
>>
>>7635951
Ungrateful shit
I had to pay for my kindle by digging up a busted sewage line as a teenager
>>
>>7635963
uphill, both ways, in the snow
>>
>>7635375
>>7635379
Always convert to azw3 with e-ink, I've had kindles brick with mobi
>>
>>7635397
The only time that I've had problems with text, is when the original epub wasn't good to begin with.

Calibre works great, but if you get into a private tracker, you'll never even have to download anything but mobi.

>>7631525
>>entertainment literature
While an ereader is great for little stories or those cheap kindle published books. I find it best for texts that are huge, you don't have to sit at a table to read a 10lb book.
>>
File: 78978.jpg (535KB, 2737x1858px) Image search: [Google]
78978.jpg
535KB, 2737x1858px
>not having an eink phone
>>
>>7636231
Had no idea that was a thing, thanks. Looks like they're planning on bringing a North American version in 2016.
>>
File: 0-=0-=0.jpg (45KB, 650x585px) Image search: [Google]
0-=0-=0.jpg
45KB, 650x585px
>>
>>7631519i Have a Kindle Paperwhite which is kind of cool because it uses electronic ink that you can read perfectly even in the sun.

www.jasonkessler.net
>>
File: CAM00046.jpg (493KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
CAM00046.jpg
493KB, 1200x1600px
I use a tablet Nook HD+. It was a gift and it works just fine, good enough to prevent me from buying an e-ink device with my own money.
Cons: Maybe too big, 10 inch screen feels to big sometimes. The battery is not as good as a the battery of an e-ink reader (although it lasts quite a while if you use it just for reading).
That said, I'm satisfied with it. It works great with pdf's and books with pictures and shit that didn't work so good in some e-readers I tried.
>>
>>7636334
>www.jasonkessler.net
are you trying to get us to ddos your site or something
>>
>>7633210
There are security settings for that.
>>
I have a kindle fire. Overall I am pretty happy with it. I wanted something I could use for amazon ebooks, and the piles of PDF files I have. The browser kind of sucks, but I turned off the cloud option and it works fine now.
>>
>>7635963
>>7635975
Who gives a shit. Do you prefer a family that listens to you and considers your opinions or someone like that thinks he knows best as long as you're alive?
I know what it means so shut the fuck up.
>>7635990
Noted.
>>7636015
Cool.
>>7633210
>my account was automatically connected, but God forbid it ever be stolen
Why? Are you afraid people to discover you secretly read YA?

Still I've been reading opinions and reviews for a while now and I'm at a loss. There are people who say that both the paperwhite and the glo hd lag, have stains on the screens, they say kobo doesn't take the device back if it has flaws, that it freezes etc. The kindle has fucking ads and you have to pay more to get rid of them and even if you do there are still reccomendations.

I don't know what the fuck to buy anymore, I just want a cheap e-ink reader with a light I can upload pirated books on and possibly that won't lag like a motherfucker or die on me after 3 months without being covered by the warranty.

I'm disheartened.
>>
If you leave airplane mode on your kindle for a while, it stops giving you ads on your screens. Although I might be missing since firmware updates, but yolo. Anyway I was worried if it connected to their servers it would show I've got downloaded books
>>
>>7636798
Yeah, these are my concerns too.
I think I might go with a Kobo but I'm still not sure. I mean, I don't give a fuck about the stores, I plan to pirate everything, if I wanted to pay I'd buy physical copies not fucking digital ones at the same price.
>>
>>7636334
I'm not op, but thanks for sharing that. I just bought a used Paperwhite because of your recommendation. I don't have the money or space to buy physical books and it's always been difficult for me to read actual books off my laptop. This looks like exactly what I need, especially for when I go off the grid.
>>
>>7636749
You could keep your kindle unregistered and you avoid ads that way.
If you live outside US/UK, you can request their removal for free.
>>
>>7636910
How? I'm in Italy and when I go to the page it makes me choose between the version with ads and the one without which costs more, if I can disable them for free what's the fucking point?

Also I've heard the Glo HD's light is warmer while the Paperwhite is cooler and that you can turn the Glo's off while you can't with the Paperwhite. You can also load fonts on the Glo.

I think I'm gonna buy the Glo.
>>
How are nooks? This one is really cheap
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/nook-glowlight-barnes-noble/1114959612
>>
>>7637004
I like them more than kindles, but I think they lack the translation feature that kindles have. That can be very useful to learn foreign languages. You can install playstore in the nook and get and get an app that does the job, but it needs to be rooted to do that.
>>
>>7637004
Here's a nook >>7636351

110-130 bucks on amazon.
>>
Kindle paperwhite 2 mustardrace, no distractions, ez pirating, tons of battery life and good dictionary in built. I live in iceland where books are expensive and you cant find shit beyond the classics so it comes incredibly useful. Would recommend.
>>
>>7636940
Noob, get in touch with Amazon customer support, they'll do it for you, that's what I did.
>>
>>7638095
Yeah, if you pay. Why the fuck would they make you pay more to not have the ads and then remove them for free?
>>
Thinking about getting an ereader for the first time. Been looking at the Kobo H20, but it looks like a new processor is going to be coming out this year. Should I just buy the H20 or should I get something cheap and wait for the new ereaders?
>>
The eBook...I recently went through my first, and last, eBook experience, on which I read a 50th rate thriller by the overrated Michael Crichton called Timeline. By pressing a button I was able to read through the book and I found it to be not a good experience. Whether in terms of the quality of what I was reading, or the ghastly procedure in which I was following.
>>
>>7638158
Those ads are only valid in the US and UK
You can say them don't apply to you and you wand then out and they'll remove them for free

I did that too.
>>
>>7638297
Fine nigga but can you tell us why it was so bad to read with an ereader?
>>
>>7638312
If this actually works, is there anything stopping someone in the US/UK from doing this too?
>>
>>7638278
Buy something now. You don't need a fast processor to read ebooks. My Kobo Glo works perfect and it's a couple years old now.
>>
>>7638980
They know where you live nigga
>>
Kobo H20, pretty good, yes.
Using Calibre alongside it's pretty fantastic, good battery length, good sized screen, organizing things into collections is pretty simple once you've got it set up.
I use the kobo for first-time reads, junk books, or free books that have been published on various online store - amazon, kobo, google, nook, etc. Either classics I haven't read yet, or self published books (these make up the majority).

Then if a book really sticks with me I buy a good quality physical copy.
>>
>>7635951
>be my mom
>be 5 years ago or so
>express interest in books to husband
>"oh maybe i can get you a kindle or something"
>tell him i don't want one, rather have physical paper books
>he says okay
>ff to christmas day
>open up present
>kindle
>decide to try it anyways
>love it, now read more than ever
>husband dies
>continue to read kindle
>mfw when he knew what i would like best

I bought a kindle shortly after my mom got one. Shit's cash, yo.
>>
File: 1383236835617.jpg (57KB, 345x310px) Image search: [Google]
1383236835617.jpg
57KB, 345x310px
>charging people to remove ads on a device they paid for

What kind of cancer is that? People will do anything to make money these days.

The only reason I would use an ereader is to read rare or out of print books that would be difficult to acquire in real life. I just can't get past the rumors that ereading damages retention.
>>
I'm guessing everyone in here hating on e-readers doesn't travel? My kindle is one of my most valuable travel accessories. It's 2016, fuck carrying around heavy books.
>>
>>7638980
They most likely see your current and past location.
If you somehow registered it through a VPN it should work.

But there's not much gain on registering it. Might as well just not do it and keep it free of ads, assuming you don't actually buy e-books.
>>
>>7631519
i have a nook simple touch
increased my reading a lot
>>
Is the dictionary in the Kobo Glo HD good?
>>
I have a Kobo Glo HD. It's alright. The screen is nice enough, and the backlight is very useful. There's no physical buttons which I find very annoying for page turns.

Ultimately, it's just far more convinient for me to upload a pirated book to Google Play and then read it on my phone or in my browser--with my bookmarks and shit saved--so I mostly just end up doing that.
>>
>>7639355
>I just can't get past the rumors that ereading damages retention.
What?
>>
>>7639355
They're not rumours, there are studies proving it.

>>7640459
Clearly they made you forget how to google.
>>
>>7635951

>be me
>my son like books and reading and stuff
>ask him if he'd like a kindle so i could save money on books
>he tells me he'd rather spend cash on books
>buy him an ereader anyway for christmas, maybe hell like it and i could save some cash
>he oppens the present, and starts throwing a tantrum, saying he wanted fedora hat and hardcovers
>i take the thing for myself
>husbandman dies
>reading books helps me through tough times
>spoiled brat blames me for not wiping his ass anymore

>tfw i raised a spoiled brat
>>
I bought a Kobo Glo Refurbished about 3 weeks ago.
The thing is now stuck on sleeping mode, can't reset/hard reset it any way.
>>
>>7640473
Retention of what? There are hundreds of types of retention.
>>
>>7640488
>changing stories
>they're differents
Whoa.
>>
>>7640492

Could have ded battery, could have ded screen, could have deeply depleted battery, could only have been stuck.

Try mobileread forums and their kobo section. Obvious problems are always well documented, and while forums are slow, people there will help you.
>>
>>7640509
Retention of water, what do you think you thick fuck?
>>
>>7640492
Try resetting it while on charge.
>>
>>7640545
>reading retention
It's stupid, are you saying that what you read on the computer screen doesn't remain?
>>
>>7631519
I recommend that you get an e-reader that allows you to add your own dictionaries. E-readers are an amazing tool for improving your vocabulary and reading comprehension in other languages.
>>
>>7640552
No, what I'm saying is you're too stupid to use google.
>>
>>7640546
Thanks, I've plugged it in and the light on top responded to my reset, but the screen did not. I'm guessing it has to do with the screen then.
I'll bring it in tomorrow and hope for the best.
>>
e readers actually got more expensive since the last time that I looked at them. So I bought a Samsung Tab S2 8.0. It's great for reading on and its also a tablet for not that much more cost.
>>
>>7640596
Why use google if I can ask a wonderful person like you?
>>
>reading retention

>The study, presented in Italy at a conference last month and set to be published as a paper, gave 50 readers the same short story by Elizabeth George to read. Half read the 28-page story on a Kindle

OMG!
50 test subjects reading Elizabeth George
50!!!
>>
When I was in the Peace Corps I loved my Kindle Fire, tons of books available, plus comics and music

so I recommend Kindle Fire
>>
>>7638297
Kek
>>
>>7635337
Kobo Aura. And what do you mean with 'lag'?
>>
>>7641208
I'm assuming the anon is referring to lag between pressing a button (or touching the screen) to turn the page and how long it actually takes to do that.
My kobo H20 is a little slow on that, compared to my phone, but it doesn't really bother me.
>>
What I got from this thread is "never ask /lit/ anything related to technology". I thought you guys would be fucking experts about ereaders but reading through the comments what I got is that you are clearly pretty much all tech impaired.
Not to mention almost all the posts are not replies, considering this is a thread for people to gather knowledge I think it says that you're an egotistical board with people that care more about showing off rather than helping others and giving genuine advice.

>>7641208
>what do you mean with 'lag'?
Don't you know what lag means?
>>
>>7640722
Retention of information
>>
>>7631519
have a Kobo Aura, really cool model with a good screen and brightness.
>>
>>7640633
For context this is me

Seriously guys can you live with the terrible DPI on e-readers. Even the new ones look like someone has thrown a handful of sand at an old bathroom tile. Doesn't that irk you?
>>
>>7642140
The dpi on mine is just fine. Even for comics/pictures it looks good.
>>
>>7642140
>300dpi
>terrible
Another one.
>>7641503
>>
>>7633096
>you don't need electricity
do you only read during daylight, mate?
>>
>>7642906
>not reading by candle light

Illuminates the page and keeps you warm
>>
If I already have a decent tablet is there any reason to get an e-reader? Is an "E-Ink" screen actually a significant change, or it is just battery life/outdoor readability? I read inside so neither are an issue.
>>
>>7640459

It's been very firmly established that the richer and more varied your environment is, the more you will retain.

Variation can even be as subtle as the colour of the paper used. It makes a difference when recall is tested later on.

I imagine that in the case of reading books vs ereading, the format of the latter just doesn't provide nearly as many contextual cues.
>>
I just got a Kindle Paperwhite last night for 40 bucks on craigslist.

I couldn't pass up the deal. It was an older lady and I think she got it as a gift and didn't know how much they actually are. I tested it and used it a bit last night and there's nothing wrong with it.

It didn't come with any accessories or anything, so I'm going to have to run out and grab a case and a cable for it.
>>
>>7642410
The thing is side by side with the original 150dpi models there is not a notable increase in sharpness with the 300dpi ones. I was about to spring for a Kindle super plus 9 pro or whatever the newest one is called and then realized that the new and improved screen looked as dusty and ill-defined as the previous generation. I only thought it was better because I hadn't looked at them side by side and the marketing said it was better. So I went and bought the Samsang it's 326dpi which should be negligibly different if the e-reader screens were the promised clarity. It isn't, they aren't.
>>
>>7631519
I've bought a Kobo Glo HD a couple of days back as my first ereader, and so far I like it a lot. It's responsive, has all the features you would need (except for an extra SD card slot), including a backlight which you can adjust and it's not too expensive.
Would recommend.
>>
>>7644629
Try a Kobo Glo Hd, they say the Kindle is a shitty 300dpi screen. The Kobo should do it.
>>
>>7631519
kobo glo hd. It's great as I've pirated hundreds of books, i don't have to carry a big pile of books everywhere I go. Also saves a lot of shelfspace. Battery can take like 30 hours of reading with backlight on.

Would recommend.
>>
>>7643816
e-ink is easier on my eyes for long bouts of reading, especially at night (even with the lowest light settings, my phone is too fucking bright, but my ereader is perfect at 1% light setting).
But I also have shitty eyes, so that could be a contributing factor.
>>
I tried the voyage and newest paperwhite at best buy for about 15 min and was underwhelmed to say the very least.
>Slow turning pages
>sometimes would have to tap multiple times to turn a page
>menus were very slow
>highlighting text was very slow

...i have the cash, but I walked away. Did i make a mistake? They're coming out with better ones soon ?
>>
>>7645722
If you weren't impressed with your experience I'd say you didn't make a mistake, no.
>>
>>7643816
Holy shit. Have you never ever read a book? What kind of fucking question is that?
>>7645722
Yeah, it's a turn-off. I think it's more of a software issue rather than an hardware one though. Amazon and Kobo are fucking jews who don't want to spend money in that regard.
>>
I have the kindle paperwhite, and I love it. Long battery life, dictionary built-in, vocab builder, bookmarks...it's perfect.
>>
>>7632477
Any Kobo is much easier to mod than the Kindle, I went with it for that alone.
>>
>>7641503
Just as the best archery threads are on /out/ instead of /k/, I've notced the best ereader threads are usually on /g/.
>>
>>7646181
JAILBREAK
FUCKING
WHEN
>>
File: 1449238613207.jpg (72KB, 600x436px) Image search: [Google]
1449238613207.jpg
72KB, 600x436px
>>7646174
I switched to reading on tablet almost exclusively for a while, while most everything I owned was in storage in between moving for months. Second guessing myself after that post, I attempted to read some shitty bible translation in a drawer until I got the usual eye strain, and it never happened. I started to assume it was natural while reading, but fuck this it's horrible. Just ordered a paperwhite.
>>
>>7648671
Wait, so you really didn't know how does it feel to read on paper before now? I don't know what to say.
>>
>>7648699
I forgot what it was like sadly yes.
>>
>>7648711
And are you like, almost blind by now or what?
>>
File: IMG-20160131-WA0028.jpg (774KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160131-WA0028.jpg
774KB, 1836x3264px
After seeing this thread yesterday I checked my city's version of craigslist since I've been looking for an e-reader for a long time and found a listing for a Sony e-reader for 60€. Photos showed it still in the box, all the packaging there, even the stylus and cables. I met up with the seller that evening and discovered she had never even used the thing and strongly preferred the feel of paper books. It's a red Sony PRS-T2 which was sold from 2012-2013. Does .pdf's super well, with .epub no complaints and .mobi I convert with calibre since that's Amazon's proprietary format.

With all the books I've downloaded over the years I pretty much have a a continuously expanding, free and easily readable library for 60€ that I can take anywhere.
>>
Is a backlight NECESSARY in this year? Thinking of getting a $30 Kobo mini, sans backlight. Reactions?
>>
File: IMG_20160201_110045.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160201_110045.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>7648952
I got a Kobo Aura for $70 a few months ago. I'm not sure how the Mini's backlight compares, but the Aura's backlight is pretty ugly imo. It has that bleeding glow on the edges.

Honestly though, I don't use the backlight very much. 90% of the time, I'm reading in places I would read a regular book, so I have sufficient lighting. It is helpful at nights when I'm in my dimly lit room laying in bed however. The backlight's ugly, but it's not unusable, and definitely useful.
>>
>>7649023
would also like to mention that i love my Kobo Aura, and love having my entire library of books readily available on the go on this light little 6" device. being able to load epubs, change fonts, and use the builtin dictionary is great
>>
>>7649023
What model (year) is it? I've heard the latest Kobo and Kindle models have a good frontlights that don't have any of the previous defects like bleeding etc.
Can anyone confirm this?
>>
>>7631519
REAL books are THICK
>>
>>7636351
who's that qt?
>>
>>7649523
I actually got a Kobo for my mom, and after a few months (3 or so) it started crashing, and it wouldn't go off standby mode. Ended up returning it, but the replacement also broke. I myself have a Kindle, and haven't had any problems.

That being said however, I haven't really heard any other complaints about the Kobo.
>>
>>7649523
it's the original Kobo Aura. Don't know what year it's from, but I wouldn't be surprised if the newer models have fixed that bleeding issue. I mostly got it for the price and more portable size.
>>
It'll up your game. Do it.
>>
>>7649023
Is the screen smaller than a kindle?
>>
>>7649551

Eva Green, I think
>>
TLDR: Kindle Paperwhite or Kobo Glo HD
>>
>>7640895
Perfect study, everyone knows it's best to have as small a sample size as possible.
>>
>>7650621
more like TLDR; wait a few months
>>
>>7640895
>making people read things they didn't want to read
>expecting them to remember what they read
Maybe if it was a test but just for a research? Haha, hell no.
>>
File: original.jpg (728KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
728KB, 1280x720px
>>7631519
i got a kobo auro glo hd something. the one in pic related.

in my experience, unless you need some particular functionality, all ereaders offer vaguely the same experience since their range of uses is so limited anyways.

what to look for:
> low price
> wide range of supported formats
> dictionary support, backlight if you want it

that's really it. the kobo ones have nice design but are more expensive. the kindle ones that will show you ads (suggested books) are the cheapest apart from maybe some chink readers. they're fine too. just make sure to get an e-ink one, not one of those reader/tablets, they have shit battery life in comparison.
Thread posts: 144
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.