[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys /lit/ scrub here So I read the sticky and bought this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Hey guys /lit/ scrub here

So I read the sticky and bought this book. Now the problem is that Im struggling big time. Ive read for hours and im only on page 25. I keep on zoneing out almost falling asleep. Any advice or good youtube tutorials how to read faster/better/whatever would be great, thanks.
>>
1) Why are you reading it? Only to prep you for the Greeks? If yes, then just read the sections on the families, the heroes, and the Trojan War.

2) Take breaks in your reading; drink some coffee or tea.
>>
>>7630659
Im reading it because I want my brain to get some kind of exercise other than just headbashing itself against the wall whilst im playing D3 all day long. Also I want to get down to the philosophers and then later nietchze thats my goal in terms of authors.

Well, I feel like im running a marathon by just reading two pages in this book every time. I dont think taking breaks is the problem solver here
>>
>>7630677
Sounds like you've ruined your brain playing video games and masturbation. Sorry bud it's a long road to recovery
>>
>>7630677
It's not a very entertaining book to be honest.
>>
>>7630653

If you want to read better read "How to Read A Book" by Mortimer Adler.
Either way, take your time. In times of Facebook and fast-paced Video games, reading seems to be a struggle.
>>
>>7630659
I wish there were truth to this coffee meme. It does nothing for me.
>>
>>7630677
Just jump straight into Nietzsche, since that's your motivation. Google what you don't get.

Don't force yourself to enjoy something.
>>
>>7630924
I'd disagree with that. That book is best if you're taking some form of Literature course.

I recommend reading good books, and taking them slow.

The book by Hamilton is a reference work, more of an encyclopaedia than a novel. Don't condemn yourself for getting sleepy.

Read some short stories if you have a poor attention span; Chekhov would be a great author for you to look into. I recommend this collection: http://www.amazon.co.uk/About-Stories-Oxford-Worlds-Classics/dp/0199536686/ref=pd_cp_14_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1YS66PEZTKA6PF8S0F8X

If you want an introduction to philosophy, read: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Story-Philosophy-Bryan-Magee-x/dp/0751333328/ref=pd_sim_14_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51uZOa8C7WL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR123%2C160_&refRID=0ZPAV4AA0TCCDH48W31Z -- It covers each of the main philosophers in easy-to-understand language.

>>7630931
I'd disagree, while I agree he should read what he's motivated to read, he may be overwhelmed by the N-man.
>>
Snort a bunch of adderall
>>
First 20 or so pages are a struggle but it gets better. I read about 50 pages in one sitting last night
>>
You're supposed to read the useful bits.

If your going to dive into Norse mythology just read the relevant section in the book. Or read bits that are interesting. It's not really a book you need to read cover to cover.
>>
Lmao I read this shit twice before finishing high school and you can't read 10 pages without nodding off? Come on dude top kek
>>
>>7630653
Your brain is so adjusted to quick and fast bursts of dopamine that you lack the capacity to be able to read a book in silent and contemplative matter. The only thing there is left to do is to do it the hard way: keep persisting. I had the same problem as you do, and still have from time to time. Just keep at it and slowly you will become more accustomed to reading rather than falling asleep or being distracted.
>>
Nothing can cure being a pleb except more reading.

There are no tricks, just keep going. I mean maybe one, keep your blood sugar level up.
>>
File: 1402579273300.png (580KB, 694x553px) Image search: [Google]
1402579273300.png
580KB, 694x553px
Thanks guys for the replies
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.