[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"metaphor" >is actually a simile it's not hard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: 1453012658907.jpg (175KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1453012658907.jpg
175KB, 2048x1536px
>"metaphor"
>is actually a simile

it's not hard
>>
What are on about now OP? There is a difference, a big difference, between metaphor and simile. Or are you just on here complaining about people that don't know the difference?
>>
a similie is a type of metaphor, faggot
>>
>>7630635
>a similie is a type of metaphor of a type of metonymy
>>
>>7630635
No it's not, you fucking disgusting mongrel bitch.

Metaphors and similes are both types of comparison
>>
ITT: high schoolers arguing with each other
>>
>>7630635

Wow, you totally just btfo of everybody everywhere ever

no but seriously, 1/10

A simile expresses a likeness or a similarity of relations between two objects different in kind. A simile is generally introduced by like as so or thus.
"The ballad of Chevy Chase stirs the heart like the sound of a trumpet."
"That man is as cunning as a fox."
"Like as a father pitieth his children so the Lord pitieth them that fear him."

A metaphor is a compressed simile. The objects are declared to be not similar but identical.
"That shrewd man is a fox."
"That boy is a snail."
"He was a lion in the fight."
"The wish is father to the thought."

Every metaphor can be expanded into a full simile. Thus the metaphor, "The boat flies through the water," may expanded into, "As a bird flies in the air so the boat in the water," or the relation between the bird and the air (flying) is the same as the relation between the boat and water. The three terms which we are supposed to know are bird, flying, boat - the unknown term being the motion the boat, which by means of the three known terms itself becomes known.

>tl;dr
Like I said, there is a fucking difference
>>
>>7630635
a metaphor is a type of literary device is a type of communication is a type of interaction is a type of action
>>
>>7630382

Metaphors are easy as cake.
>>
Similes are like metaphors.
>>
File: 1449304494396.png (107KB, 450x443px) Image search: [Google]
1449304494396.png
107KB, 450x443px
>>7630671
>you fucking disgusting mongrel bitch
>>
>>7630684

I see what you did there. That's a simile though.

>Metaphors are cake
That's a metaphor

It's easy as cake once you get it
>>
>>7630693
Metaphors are a walk in the park
>>
>>7630671
>you fucking disgusting mongrel bitch.

fuck
>>
File: 377_35945104750_3030_n.jpg (33KB, 320x321px) Image search: [Google]
377_35945104750_3030_n.jpg
33KB, 320x321px
It's a metaphor, see: you put the killing thing in your mouth, but you don't give it the power to do its killing.
>>
>>7630707

Oh John...John John John, when will you learn?
>>
>>7630693
>That's a simile though

That's the other thing I did there.
>>
my brain is full of scorpions...wtf is that?
>>
>>7630671
Settle down champ my goodness
>>
>>7630764
metaphor
>>
>>7630953
metaphor whom?
>>
metaphors are like analogies: everyone confuses them with similes
>>
>>7630382
Does the guy in back have synthol arms?
>>
>>7630973
There is a lot to think about in that image
>>
>>7630635

it's really that a simile, metaphor, metonymy, etc. are all just different forms of the same function. That is, to draw two or more ideas together to a level of equivalence.

A simile is a weak form, and it's more used for "getting an idea" of something. "The river was as think as a stickbug." Less about making the river look like a stickbug, and more about conveying its size in a compressed manner. It reveals the river through an external modifier. "stickbug" might as well be an advanced form of adjective.

Metaphor is a bit different in form. Take shakespeare's common use of "tooth of time". This isn't just a way of saying "time that is rough like a tooth", though it implies it -- it's a way of tying two disparate ideas together. "tooth" connotes roughness, wildness, primality. This applies it to the idea of Time. It modifies both into a single idea, it doesn't modify an original idea weakly like a simile.

Metonymy is just often a metaphor with an exceptional associative leap. "tooth of time" could count as one, technically, though I wouldn't call it an exceptionally strong one. From Hart Crane's poem, "At Melville's Tomb", perhaps the famous example is "the calyx of death's bounty" -- which is used to evoke (1) the ideas of the calyx (one of the reproductive parts of a flower), and the sexual undertone this gives (2) the shape of the calyx, in context, as a whirlpool, imbuing the idea of a whirlpool with those of a flower -- death with life, etc. (3) flower as an associative of "life", bounty as that of "treasure" or rarity, death modifying the two into the image of the whirlpool that taketh and giveth.
>>
Metaphors are similar to similes.
>>
>>7630674
>he had to look up examples
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.