[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why Romans succeeded

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

File: ngiXS.png (514KB, 960x383px) Image search: [Google]
ngiXS.png
514KB, 960x383px
Do you think Greek and Roman paganism contributed to their ability to excel in scientific and philosophical areas?

I have been reading Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, and while I think everything in here is another level of brilliance, Aurelius seems to consistently 'slack-off' existential problems on the gods. His conclusions about man are correct, but when you lay all misfortune and chaos on deities, it removes yourself from responsibility, allowing you to let those things pass.

It came to my attention on the toilet today, that this might be a contributing reason as to why Rome and Greece excelled in unknown areas. If one doesn't have to wonder existentially, or about their after life, it allows them much more freedom to explore the present. I'm obviously inclined to believe that there aren't deities living atop Mt. Olympus, or anywhere for that matter, and that takes away that 'comfort', and just adds uncertainty and chaos.

What do you think /lit/?
>>
>>7630195
>Greeks and Romans excelled in scientific areas

Sure thing bro. Earth is made up of cubes made out of triangles.
>>
File: 1447721686263.png (346KB, 1829x788px) Image search: [Google]
1447721686263.png
346KB, 1829x788px
>>7630346
>>
It had the opposite effect at times. Often when there's a major crisis in Rome, there's a vestal virgin trial. These were religious trials where they accused them of losing their virtue or leaving the fire go out, as an excuse to explain the political or financial turmoil of Rome. Since this didn't fix anything political or financial, Rome often just fucked up more after they buried a virgin alive.

Fun fact: the charges against vestals for breaking Rome's contract with the gods by lost virtue were charges of "incestum", where we get the modern word "incest" from.
>>
Check out Perry Anderson, Passages from Antiquity. There was little to no mechanical or technological process, or systematic interest in it, for centuries. Marxist, materialist, ascribes technological self-revolutionising and scientific rabidness for new discoveries to capitalist ideology.

Roman pragmatism and adaptability is a thing, major reason for their success. Religious syncretism but also civic syncretism, willingness to incorporate any advance that seems to benefit a rival, to massage their own traditions when they no longer fit circumstance, etc.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.