[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
You are a successful well-known writer.
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: download.jpg (4 KB, 299x169) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
download.jpg
4 KB, 299x169
You are a successful well-known writer.

Would you prefer to be as wealthy as pic related (worth $600 million dollars), or as discussed as James Joyce by /lit/?
>>
>>7629918
neither, I'd rather just be known to a few people, enjoyed by em, and give my books away in e-form for free.
>>
>>7629923

Mate, if people can enjoy your books, you would either be rich or a literary icon.
>>
>>7629925
not if i release it anonymously.
>>
>>7629929

post it here :)
>>
>>7629932
i have, no one liked em.
>>
>>7629934

That's cos I haven't read it yet :)

;)
>>
>>7629940
well, i haven't written a book, but i do have a short story if you're that desperate.

http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?82106-The-Ant&highlight=

i guess this is still anonymous.
>>
this is usually the reaction. heh
>>
>>7629918
Rich. I don't give a fuck about /lit/.
>>
>>7629918
Get wealthy and after you're filthy rich, write your Ulysses.
>>
>>7629918
filthy rich or posterity

posterity
>>
>>7629918
I value literature, but I also like SCUBA diving, motorsport and sending my kids to elite schools, so my honest answer would have to be filthy rich.
>>
>>7629918
I bet coehlo scores mad milf pussy with his new-age platitudes. That beats being the object of a circlejerk of autists and NEETs in a chinese cartoon board who most likely didn't even read my book anyways.
>>
I'd rather be rich.

My reason is this: I'd rather that many common people read my books, than that a community of academics should make their careers out of misreading my work.

And there are many things, selfish or charitable, which I can do with money.
>>
>>7629942
(not previous anon)
I enjoyed it alot.
>>
File: are you jesting me.png (114 KB, 347x344) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
are you jesting me.png
114 KB, 347x344
Both.
>>
>be rich
or
>be memed the fuck out on /lit/
what do you think
>>
>>7630596
hey, thank you. i'm glad!
>>
You don't mean discussed JUST by /lit/, right?

Because if I have to choose between being rich and just being meme'd incessantly on a shitty image board, I'll obviously choose being rich.

However, if you mean "discussed and remembered everywhere, /lit/ included," then the choice gets harder. I confess I'd still like some financial security, and being rich is always fun. However, I do crave literary immortality. I want to write stuff that gets into the canon. I'd love to be remembered as one of the great writers of the 21st Century, of the entire Postmodern/Ultramodern/Neomedieval/Whatever-We're-In-Right-Now period.
>>
>>7630476
Who the fuck are you?
>>
>>7629918
He's not worth anywhere near 600 million.
>>
>being Paolo Coelho

Nothx
>>
That's tough. Money is literally worth nothing without respect, and with that sculpted facial hair I'd have to assume Coehlo has very little. At the same time, I wonder how much respect Joyce commanded in his lifetime, being a raging alcoholic and having almost no money his entire life. I also don't consider him the epitome of the modern English language, so I wouldn't choose that route, either.
>>
>>7631272
>I also don't consider him the epitome of the modern English language

Why not?
>>
Is cohelo really that rich?
>>
>>7629918
I'd rather be rich.
>>
>>7629942
>online-literature.com
Would you rec it?
>>
>>7631380
it has its moments, i just used it to post some stories, and have a place to keep them.
>>
>>7629918

depends. am i wealthy writing the stuff i want to write or am i wealthy writing the stuff that sells?

because if it's just a question of wealth vs academic merit, i'd pick wealth. fuck the lit crits
>>
I don't need validation. Give me cash.
>>
I'd like to be the James Joyce in that situation. I'm not in it for the money. To me, the truth wealth is to be remembered.
>>
Coelho's actually a very inspirational and good writer. People here would greatly benefit from listening to him.
>>
>>7629918
I'd rather be properly appreciated by a small group of devoted fans like Gass: having thousands misinterpret my work is one of my greatest fears.
>>
Anyone else think there's absolutely no need for $600mil? Don't get me wrong, I would gladly and easily spend 5, 10, even 100 million if I went nuts. I just have no idea what I would do with 600 mil.
>>
>>7632283
Don't you have to go pick up your kids from soccer practice?
>>
>>7632638
boom roasted lol
>>
>>7632599
Buy an island and create your own polis.
>>
>>7629942
I really liked this. It's rare that I say I wish a work were longer...for good reasons, of course.
>>
>>7632701
That makes me very happy. I'll have to set out to write more. It's been a long time. For me, anyway.
>>
File: ALHessV.jpg (51 KB, 500x268) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
ALHessV.jpg
51 KB, 500x268
>Caring what people think of you
>MFW

The dosh obviously.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
Thread DB ID: 473096

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.