[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Shakespeare unprecedented? Was his wit and devilishly slick

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: william_shakespeare-640x320.jpg (96KB, 640x320px) Image search: [Google]
william_shakespeare-640x320.jpg
96KB, 640x320px
Was Shakespeare unprecedented? Was his wit and devilishly slick tongue unheard of before him?

I just can't imagine how one could come up with his plays and poems at the time. His approach to life and art is far too modern to be true.
>>
No.
>>
File: image.jpg (361KB, 498x1278px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
361KB, 498x1278px
If you've read Juvenal and Chaucer, it will seem less unprecedented...
>>
Marlowe was just as good if not better
>>
If I would compare Jonson with Shakespeare, I must acknowledge him the more correct poet, but Shakespeare the greater wit. Shakespeare was the Homer, or father of our dramatic poets; Jonson was the Virgil, the pattern of elaborate writing: I admire him, but I love Shakespeare.
>>
>>7627584
Not even the biggest literary hipster would claim that Marlowe was more skilled than Shakes. I mean, Doctor Faustus is okay and all, but come on man.
>>
>>7627615
thats because Shakespeare was basically taught by him. Its like what Socrates is to Plato
>>
All he did was take the concepts of ancient Greek plays from classical antiquity and place them in more contemporary settings, adding in themes of absurdist nihilism
>>
>>7627627
LMAO dude it was literally that easy!!
>>
>>7627621
>Its like what Socrates is to Plato

The case where the student surpasses the master?
>>
File: 1458893463734.jpg (40KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1458893463734.jpg
40KB, 500x500px
>mfw Shakespeare invented the human as he know it today
>mfw literally every one of your inner most thoughts is wrapped up in Shakespeare's creations
>>
Shakespeare wrote his plays with his acting troupe; he was just the owner and lead writer and so his name represented them all. Case closed.
>>
>>7627627
>All
>>
File: image.jpg (70KB, 1024x762px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70KB, 1024x762px
>>7627627
>shakespeare
>absurdist
>nihilism
>>
>>7627652
>this is what Bloom actually believes

lmao
>>
>>7627760
I guess you haven't read King Lear then.
>>
>>7627760
>>7627879

or henry IV or Hamlet or Macbeth
>>
>>7627879
>>7628110

chronology is hard
>>
He was actually a alium. Thass why hes so god.
>>
>>7627760

TIMON OF ATHENS
I
M
O
N OF ATHENS
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.