[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I never loved Don Delillo but his novels were always almost great

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: Mao_II.jpg (83KB, 208x309px) Image search: [Google]
Mao_II.jpg
83KB, 208x309px
I never loved Don Delillo but his novels were always almost great and good enough to keep me looking for more of his work when I was bored. I also usually can't stand novels about writers.

Anyways, I came on here just to tell you guys that this might be the most beautiful work of American literature written since I was born (1989). I feel like it has these kaleidoscopic elements where scenes of crowds, terrorists, cities, media, mass production and art are always weaving into eachother seamlessly.

The plot opens with a writer who is going to come out of reclusiveness through new photographs but his last work will be intentionally endlessly worked on and edited so that it can't exist.

It's really beautiful. I feel like it doesn't get enough mention on here.
>>
>>7626984

Currently reading it and enjoying it. Just made it to chapter six. Interesting thoughts the qualities of the image and its relation to reality so far.

So far I agree with your observation of seamless interweaving. He pulls it off quite well.

It's far too early for me to form a comprehensive opinion on the work, but so far things are boding very well.

Still not liking it as much as White Noise, go ahead and call me a pleb, it's probably true. But then again, I'm only 1/4 through the work.
>>
>>7626984
>this might be the most beautiful work of American literature written since I was born
You haven't read The Tunnel.
>>
Don DeLillo thread?

I have an ebook of Underworld of only 623 pages, whereas it's actually supposed to be 823 pages long.
I've been wanting to read this so bad but I'm not because I think it's incomplete. Can you guys give me a nice little link for downloading the complete epub?
>>
>>7626984
too bad the characters sound like cyborgs reading from a teleprompter.
>>
>>7627005
I felt that White Noise worked better as a novel even though Mao II was better written
>>
>>7626984
>American

You mean the U. S. or America in general? your answer might affect your enjoyment of your stay here in /lit/
>>
>>7627060
I like the way DeLillo's characters always talk at cross-purposes, it's funny
>>
>>7627010
OP here, no, I haven't, but I've heard. I loved Omensetter's Luck. I will definitely check it out.

I'm open to any suggestions of some really recent, good books, like 1990s and beyond recent. I got Soumission in the mail yesterday and read almost the entire thing in a night it was so good.
>>
>>7627014
LibGen maybe?
>>
>>7627068
The US. I also really loved Of Love and Other Demons by Marquez, so I can't really lump the Americas together and say which single country has the best writer.

>>7627060
That's a good way to put it but I like it.
>>
>>7627084
>2666
>Vineland
>Regarding the Pain of Others
>>
>>7627014
http://bookzz.org/book/865816/1dfb8d
>>
>>7627060

Yeah, kind of. That worked really well in White Noise, as it accentuated the themes of media-driven reality and consciousness formed by television, but so far in Mao II, it doesn't really work as well. But, like >>7627070, I do enjoy the sort of jumbled aspect of the dialogues, and I think he manages to pull it off.
>>
>>7627084
Well, then, I DEFINITELY recommend The Tunnel. Also, if you are a fan of Gaddis, try A Frolic of His Own and Agape Agape.
>>
>>7626984
I hated it- it's a shame because the section at the beginning from the POV of the moonie girl was wonderful, but after that it turned into 5 identical characters taking turns being lifeless mouthpieces for darling lines Delillo thought sounded cool. Like >>7627060 says, it was so bad it was uncanny. Maybe I'm missing something in the work or in myself to really appreciate it, but god damn- no more Delillo for me.
>>
>>7627367
For starters you have to take into consideration that DeLillo doesn't belong to the realist tradition. He is a "writer of ideas" and there's a strong undercurrent of satire and parody in most of his work. If you need painstaking simulations of real speech to enjoy a work then indeed you'd be better off just reading Carver and stuff.
>>
>>7627367
his characters often reference how full of shit they sound.
>>
>>7627675
Ironic shit is still shit.
>>
>>7627367
>>7627675
Only White Noise and parts of Mao II (I guess) could have this.

If you think dialogue in Libra or Underworld isn't perfect and hasn't influenced every novelist, film director and tv producer you're an idiot.
>>
>I never loved Don Delillo but his novels were always almost great and good enough to keep me looking for more of his work when I was bored.
This describes my relation to his work perfectly. Never a great novel, lots of good novels with great moments. But when the highs do come you feel like he's the only writer you should ever be reading.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.