[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is the book good? I just watched the movie last night and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

File: inherent lice.jpg (48KB, 326x499px) Image search: [Google]
inherent lice.jpg
48KB, 326x499px
is the book good? I just watched the movie last night and enjoyed it immensely
>>
>>7625906
juvenile hack
>>
>>7625906
It's not top-tier Pynchon but decent enough
>>
>>7625911
This meme needs to die. Pynchon, while certainly nowhere near the best author ever, is not bad.
>>
File: Pynchon drawing.png (19KB, 400x550px) Image search: [Google]
Pynchon drawing.png
19KB, 400x550px
>>7625906
its good entry Pinecone
>>
op here
my first actual introduction to pynchon is gonna be crying of lot 49 for my crime fiction class this semester. is that a good intro to pinecone?
>>
>>7625962
Yes.
>>
>>7625906

the book is way better then the movie

I read the book first and after I saw the movie I found myself questioning whether it had even been worth the time I spent watching it.
>>
>>7625962
I believe so. Many would disagree though
>>
>>7625964
>then
Movie is infinitely better.
>>
Movie makes no fucking sense but its fun to watch.

Unfortunately the book also makes no fucking sense and is not fun to read.
>>
>>7625978
Any charm from the book is mainlined into the movie. PTA kept all that was good about the book and put it in the film.
>>
>>7625940
saaay ace, ain't that that tyrone slothrop?
>>
>>7625911
definitely a juvenile author. appeals to lower class minds who are amused with simpleton interests. discernible talent, but explicitly wasted.
>>
>>7625998
This is bait.
>>
>>7625998
about on par with john green
>>
>>7626004
no, it's not bait, you've just imbibed the kool-aid and you're suffering from denial. Pynchon is exactly the author you deserve, immature and a waste of time.
>>
>>7626004
>he still pretends to like pynchon in 2016
>>
>>7626018
I respect your effort man
>>
>>7626004
A big fan of Pynchon, but I'd call him a 'juvenile' author without hesitation. Even Pynchon has referred to his works as juvenile.
He is a fun writer, a clever writer, a writer who recklessly tackles impossible questions, who dances around grand ideas of apocalypse, and couches everything in sex and drugs and slapstick humor. He's still a great writer, one of my favorites. But like Paul Auster called him, he's a 'boy writer'. He's mark Twain for the pot smoking 20something and those wishing they still were the potsmoking 20something.
>>
>>7626045
i can agree with this. juvenile doesnt mean that he's not a genius, it just means it lacks the same nuances more serious and mature literature has. it's complex, but still juvenile. people have every right to enjoy Pynchon, but they can't pretend that he's an author on par with Gaddis, for instance. I think a lot of it is people confusing complexity for depth.
>>
>>7626045
not the anon you were replying to, but i always considered it like this. Pynchon is high culture writing on typically low culture topics. it's the blending and merging of worlds that might allow him to be considered juvenile
>>
Pynchon's great mistake was pretending he didn't take himself too seriously for way too long while taking himself way too seriously for way too long.

It's no secret he cares deeply about his legacy, but it's really starting to show as he gets older. His last few decisions have made it clear that it's unquestionably at the forefront of his mind. He's trying too hard to be more accessible and out of his comfort zone and doesn't know what to do. He can't figure out how he wants to be remembered.

Look at how everything has played out since 2003.

In 2003, Harold Bloom makes his 4 greatest living American writers statement, naming Pynchon, McCarthy, Roth, and Delillo. Well, Roth hasn't done much of note since. Delillo's put out a few, but nothing strong enough to transcend or be recognizable in the general public consciousness. That leaves McCarthy and Pynchon.

Pynchon does the Simpsons thing in 2004. Everybody laughs, of course. But McCarthy puts out No Country in 2005. No Country, the book itself, isn't widely well received, even by Bloom. But he puts out The Road in 2006 and THAT explodes. It explodes so much, McCarthy's giving an interview to Oprah. I mean, my Aunt fucking read it and trust me when I tell you, she's not Cormac McCarthy's target audience.

Meanwhile in 2006, Pynchon puts out Against the Day, his longest novel ever. It's okay received by critics, but it wasn't particularly noteworthy on the marketplace or in the critics eyes next to McCarthy's shortest novel ever (I think).

2007 adds insult to injury. McCarthy wins the Pulitzer for The Road, and then the movie version of No Country not only wins Best Picture, but it starts leading "best of the decade" lists. Everyone is talking about McCarthy. He's now at the forefront of your average literary fiction readers mind, and at least on the fringe of the general fiction readers mind.

So then what? Pynchon publishes Inherent Vice in 2009. Arguably his most accessible work. Movie rights? For Pynchon? The movie even comes with a rumor that he has a cameo? Still, not much comes of it.

2013 he publishes Bleeding Edge, another ultimately described as "Pynchon Lite." The IV movie lands in 2014 to nothing compared to No Country.

Say what you want, but the case for McCarthy has picked up steam. Hell, Suttree is starting to be heavily reread and show up everywhere. McCarthy has The Passenger coming this year, his first in 10 years. I refuse to believe this isn't bugging the shit out of Pynchon. None of his books or decisions have been coincidence. He's trying to please too hard.

Who knows what he has left in him? There's no doubt he's a god damn genius, but he's definitely slipping or confused about where to go with his work.

Personally, I think he should just stick with what he does best and go back to his roots. His legacy is cemented in everyone's mind that matters and he's just chasing the ghost.
>>
>>7626157
or alternatively, the world isn't an exact reflection of you sucking bloom's cock.
>>
>>7626190

None of anything I said was sucking Bloom's cock.
>>
>>7626157
>he's a god damn genius

No, he isn't.

>>7626007
>>
>>7626205

Ah, now I understand. Forgive me. Have fun on your image board.
>>
>>7626157
ah yes, McCarthy, another shit writer. Popularity does not connote the quality of an author. Eventually when someone of actual worth finally comes out within the next 40 years, who is an actual genius, no author other than Gaddis will be remembered with any serious critical praise. The writers thus far in this century are so many clumps in the catbox.
>>
>>7626211

I'm not really into the memes. This is your guys' board now. I'm just gonna go.
>>
>>7626218
>considers any dissent from public opinion to be memes

K.
>>
>>7626211
>Popularity

pynchon is pretty much unknown outside america. fortunately. i only have to put up with the memeing on /lit/
>>
>>7626221

There was no dissent. Only, "he's shit."

I'm really not interested, man. I'm leaving.
>>
>>7626236
leave then. good riddance.
>>
>>7626236
good, one less pynchon shill
>>
>>7626236
>doesnt know that dissent can be a simple dismissal
>>
Fairly sure he has no discernable talent! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ARSE FULL OF FARTS ARSE FULL OF FARTS
>>
>>7625998
>discernible talent, but explicitly wasted
on you.
>>
>>7625906
Book is funnier. Read forth, OP.
>>
>>7626276
Don't you know that's a /lit/ meme brah? I've been here a week and I already know it.

Kek. Fucking pleb. Just accept Pynchon is fucking pleb shit.
>>
>>7626276
>reading comprehension
wasted on the lower class minds who are amused with simpleton interests.
>>
>>7626281
Fucking pleb. You mad we be hating on Pynchon?
>>
>>7626324
huh? you're making us look bad, bruh. i was shitting on pynchon, by saying what talent he had was wasted, and he responded that it was wasted on me. i responded with my original statement. i am in defense of pynchon being a juvenile turd bulletin.
>>
>>7626329
Kek. He wasted it by having, no discernable talent!

I love these /lit/ memes!
>>
File: oh for fuck's sake.jpg (149KB, 644x497px) Image search: [Google]
oh for fuck's sake.jpg
149KB, 644x497px
>>7626333
yes.. yes he did.
>>
>>7626218
>I'm not really into the memes

Ah, but anon, you seem to have fallen for the Pynchon meme.
>>
File: 1409147240146.jpg (2MB, 1222x3649px) Image search: [Google]
1409147240146.jpg
2MB, 1222x3649px
>>7625962
>>
>>7625906
if you enjoyed the movie definitely read the book. The 2 media complement each other every well. I prefer the book to the film.
>>
>>7626559
pynchon relegated to an "as seen on tv" author. exactly where he belongs.
>>
>>7625906
>enjoyed it immensely
Kill yourself, faggot
>>
>>7626157
any and all hollywood goodwill accumulated by mccarthy evaporated with the writing, shooting and release of a little film called the counselor

he's beyond square one at this point
>>
>>7625906
The movie was trash, the book was great. Read it, bro
>>
>>7626742
we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender

the pynchwall memes shall never prevail.
>>
Did you feel that P.T. Anderson succeed in capturing that Pynchon feel for the big screen?
>>
File: 1443932632397.jpg (44KB, 387x573px) Image search: [Google]
1443932632397.jpg
44KB, 387x573px
What's with all the buuthurt?
>>
>>7626863
the pynchwallians are pretty defensive when their memes are disrupted.
>>
>>7625964
I agree, the book is much better.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.