[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

writting advice general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: journel.jpg (6KB, 251x200px) Image search: [Google]
journel.jpg
6KB, 251x200px
So I've recently started working on my first non school related piece of creative writing (a novel). I know a lot of people on this board write, so I was wondering if their is any general advice about making a novel that would be beneficial to hear.
>>
It would help to create a table of contents in the beginning so it's easy to keep hold of the story. If you end up writing a bit and think a different way would be better, change it.
>>
>>7625585
A problem that I had early when I started writing was I was trying to make sure the reader actually got what I wanted to say that I ended up disregarding the story in exchange for the themes and symbolism. I guess my advice would be don't get too focused on what you want the reader to get from your work, just write a good story first and then focus on the themes later.
>>
>>7625585

Don't get too caught up in having a perfect opening sentence/paragraph/chapter to set the "feel" of your work. A good book will do that for itself over its course if you have enough talent, education, and attention to detail. Plus editing.
>>
writte my man just writte
>>
>>7625585
>Read before writing.
>Read more.
>Read consciously, note how your favorite author construct sentences, describes events and landscape, how they use metaphors.
>Make notes before you writes. Write about something you want to, a scene or an event, instead of simply throw pointless words.
>Don't get stuck in details.
>Drop the novel for now. Aim at flash fiction or short stories until you gather enough experience to write a 300ish pages story.
>Keep reading.
>Get coffee.
>>
>>7625585
Write until you hit a roadblock.

Then make a detailed outline of the story from beginning to end.

You'll throw out 75% of the outline by the end of the first draft, but it will give direction and concentration to the story, plot, characters, scenes, etc.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.