[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /lit/, I am a pleb. I don't really know anything about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

Hello /lit/, I am a pleb. I don't really know anything about literature that you guys would take seriously. It's not like I don't read, it's just that I don't read the right things. I just finished Call of the Wild and I will soon start Lord of the Flies. What I'm asking is, what should I read and know that will earn me some respect around here? I get into books easily, so give me your worst (best

Pic, though unrelated, is my style and I was hoping maybe you could even help me find books relating.
>>
>>7625517
Finnegans Wake.
>>
If you want personal advice, delve into Thoreau and Emerson once you have a bit more reading under your belt, you will enjoy the themes but struggle with the prose possibly, push through and then continue to read more shit you like
>>
>>7625517
The Tunnel.
>>
>>7625517

LOTR
>>
>>7625517
Gone Girl, Kite Runner, The God Delusion, and other modern classics.
>>
File: 1453057378973.jpg (408KB, 900x920px) Image search: [Google]
1453057378973.jpg
408KB, 900x920px
>>7625996
Very funny. Now give me something worthwhile.

>>7625965
I've read bits of Thoreau like Life in the Woods, I love his work and plan on getting further in.
>>
>>7626001
Then why the fuck are you here? Go to the library and pick out all the fucking books with tree in the title and form an original thought.
>>
>>7625517
The Martian
>>
>>7626001
Just read the fucking wiki if you don't want shitty advice.
>>
>>7625517
start with the greeks
>>
>>7625517
book of the new sun
>>
>>7626001
>asks for advice
>shits on advice given

you sound like a woman
>>
>>7626134
You: Hey man, what food you got?
Interlocutor: My hemorrhoids xD
You: Thank you friend :)
>>
>>7625520
This. And translate at least one chapter in another language.
>>
>>7625517
For your pic related, Blood Meridian will fuck your shit up (in a good way). Maybe also Butcher's Crossing. You could also take your survival adventurin' to sea with Joseph Conrad (e.g. Lord Jim, Heart of Darkness) and the gigantic chunk of unimpeachable awesomeness that is Moby Dick.
>>
>>7625517
read Borges
>>
>>7625517

If you loved Call of the Wild you'll love Into the Wild.

And try to ignore most of the other advices here, except maybe LOTR and Heart of Darkness. Although the latter have 'advanced language'.
>>
Why do you seek others people aprobation?
Fuck the system man.
>>
Mason & Dixon based on the picture
>>
File: 1432475026395.jpg (884KB, 1032x2451px) Image search: [Google]
1432475026395.jpg
884KB, 1032x2451px
Read what you want.
If you don't know what you want to read this chart is the best I've seen on /lit/.

Don't start with the greeks, they're essential reading but you're gonna bore yourself out of any literary habit.

Seriously, though just don't read YA and you're doing fine.
>>
>>7627371
>great gatsby
10/10 chart
>>
>>7627377
One should've already read GG in high school.
>>
>>7625517
Check out the Songlines by Chatwik or possibly Herzog by Saul Bellow...both protagonists sort of attempt to make sense of modern life by returning to nature.
>>
> new to /lit/
> /lit/erally a pleb
> hasn't read the sticky and its wiki

Holy shit, OP, do you want me to feed and burp you too? See what's in the wiki that interests you; read it; come back; discuss; THEN ask for recommendations.
>>
>>7626676
This, OP. If you ignore this post, you are a fool and a goof.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.