[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know this subject has been posted before, but: What is the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1359317021255.jpg (198KB, 1050x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1359317021255.jpg
198KB, 1050x1050px
I know this subject has been posted before, but:
What is the best translation of The Odyssey
From what I've read, there are three common recommendations:
Robert Fagles, Richmond Lattimore, and Robert Fitzgerald.
Which one does /lit/ recommend?
Pic unrelated
>>
Use this and make up your own mind:

https://records.viu.ca/~johnstoi/homer/homertranslations.htm
>>
Mein gott fuck off
>>
>>7623849
Thank you
>>
>>7623841
Anon, be honest. Are you going to read so thoroughly that the transation matters beyond it being adequate? You're not a Homer scholar(or you would just read it in classical Greek like the rest of us) and you're an utter memelord if you're reading translations for muh prose.
>>
>>7623866
Lmao this how deluded some ppl are
Just go on posting muh bery aeaesthetics greeky marble stone meme man muscle man mans
>>
>>7623866
Why not read for prose?
I aspire to become a writer, and therefore am interested in the highest quality of prose.
For the most part I have always read for enjoyment and mental stimulation, but now I'm interested in developing my own prose.
For that purpose I seek well written works, works that stand the test of time.
>>
>>7623866
>reading poetry for prose

Lad, don't act condescending if you're a pleb.
>>
>>7623866
I'm gonna have to side with this anon. I just picked up a copy from a used bookstore for like three bucks, and it served me well. It's not like I finished the book going "damn I wish he'd translated that word into something else. The fuck does the standard person about appropriate translation?
>>
>>7623887
Because I want the highest quality of product.
It's not necessary, but with the advent of the internet, and the ease of asking a meager question... Why not?
>>
>>7623887
That's probably because you're a plebeian.

Selecting a good translation isn't just about technical accuracy, it's about aesthetic quality also.

If you had any care for good literature, you'd want to make sure the translation you read I'd good literature. You, on the other hand, have no care for literally, and likely buy whichever edition has the movie poster for a cover.
>>
>>7623905
Wow great comment.
>>
>>7623911
See
>>7623911
>>
I own Butler`s, is that bad?
>>
>>7623866
>reading poetry for prose
Oh boy.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.