[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you guys please recommend some German literature for someone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 11

File: IMG-20160124-WA0002.jpg (707KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160124-WA0002.jpg
707KB, 1600x1200px
Would you guys please recommend some German literature for someone who is learning the language (A2)? Danke sehr
>>
Walter Moers is great fun and relatively "YA-y", but gets more mature with each book

If they're too hard for your level, try Christine Nöstlinger, anything by her is good
>>
>>7623497
Kafka's short stories
>>
>>7623563
just no. Don't do that.

>>7623497
Erich Kästner, Daniel Kehlmann, Hesse and Goethes Werther.
>>
>>7623563
>A2
>Kafka
Do you even...

Try Tödlicher Schnee (almost like The Big Sleep), or Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo
>>
>>7623663
>Erich Kastner
haha aww. I remember reading Emil und die Detektive as a young kid for our school class.
>>
File: 1378593204116.jpg (78KB, 891x1186px) Image search: [Google]
1378593204116.jpg
78KB, 891x1186px
>>7623497
I'm at B1.2 level although that was officially 1 year ago. Probably B2.2 or nearing C level.
At A2 level you have a very limited understanding of text so I wouldn't suggest trying to read Mann, philosophers, Kafka or other notoriously difficult authors. I found Zweig doable for A2 although I had to translate every 3 word. I did read some childrens books like Emil die Detektive but I dont recommend it, its boring af. If you have a kindle or other e-reader, get a english-german dictionary to translate words as you read and go for the easy-medium (contemporary, Hesse, Zweig, Flugblätter, etc.).

To really improve on your reading comprehension and vocabulary I suggest getting a 1-click google translate extensions or some other translation extensions for you browser and reading the major newspapers: Die Zeit, Handelsblatt (if you like business, they also have "life" articles), Suddeutsche Zeitung, Frankfurter Allgemeine.

As for reading comprehension use some kind of internet radio on you smartphone (which I assume you have) and listen to the major news radio channels, specifically Deutschlandfunk which has almost only talk programs about everything, literature, traffic, sports, politics, business, traffic, weather, traffic, traffic, traffic. What is up with germans and traffic?

Non-native living and studying in Germany.
>>
>>7623707
Fuck, the latter reading comprehension was supposed to be listening comprehension, but I guess it was obvious
>>
>>7623497
"Die Vermesung der Welt" if your German is good enough. One of the best "easy" German books in the last decade imo.
>>
>>7623779
*Vermessung
>>
Göthe's Urfaust and Faust

Though you might want to have a translation nearby.
>>
File: 1453690167382.jpg (55KB, 450x500px) Image search: [Google]
1453690167382.jpg
55KB, 450x500px
I recommend an English-to-German dictionary.
>>
Momo
a nice kids' story. pretty easy too
>>
Fist
>>
>>7623497
I don't know about language levels, so I don't know if it's appropriate, but Michael Ende wrote some fun childrens books, that are an easy and entertaining read. Check out 'Momo' and 'The Never-Ending Story'

You could also try Hesse/Zweig as this anon mentioned >>7623707, both are relatively easy to understand.
>>
From my first semester of German, bitte schön

Liebe, Schmerz und das ganze verdammte Zeug (Dories Dörrie)
Die Geschichte von Herrn Sommer (Patrik Süskind)
Am kürzeren Ende der Sonnenallee (Thomas Brussig)
Der Vorleser (Bernhard Schlink)
Sanzibar oder der letzte Grund (Alfred Andersch)
>>
>>7623810
Kek
>>
>>7623497
Danke Schön, OP. Stop translating and learn the language for fuck's sake.
>>
>>7624512
I was really surprised it took this many posts to point out the op did this. Though, the s in schön shouldn't be capitalized.
>>
>>7625806
It helped me alot to translate when learning a language, but I guess that depends on what kind of a learner you are.
>>
>>7624512
>>7625806
Danke sehr is legit you kanaken
>>
File: Marburg_Universität.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Marburg_Universität.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
If you like poetry I can recommend Hermann Hesse. For prose, you can take about any good-selling novel from the Mayersche or Spiegel list. I for one like Sebastian Fitzeks thrillers very much.
German isn´t that hard to learn, so a lot of contemporary reading will help you more than analysing Faust three times over.
>>
>>7626765
Halt die Fresse, du Missgeburt, ich sag, was immer mir passt. Hurensohn.
>>
>>7623497
Hände hoch du arschloch!
>>
>>7623707
Are you even lit? You have a kindle, and a smart phone?
>>
What is more worthy of learning? German or Italian?

I have been studying German alone and have found it somewhat difficult. I already know Spanish and can read French pretty well. Learning French, I could just passively learn the grammar and knew a lot of words because of Spanish. I thought English would help me with German but it seems much more different than Spanish is to French. The grammar specifically is strange. Plus I have such a hard time with pronunciation and subvocalizing since I know no German speakers.
>>
dude at A2 you won't be able to read shit. Currently at C1 myself with the Goethe Institut and you might as well just find children's books to read. I read children's books all the time and they helped me scores.
>>
>>7626778
What's the problem here?
>>
>>7626785
Wut
I thought I was A2 and I can understand like 90% of German I read on the internet and 75-80% of literary German. Like I can follow a plot at this point.

Am I actually better than A2
>>
>>7626783
With German you have the plus of having access to some dank philosophy too, if that interests you.
>>
>>7626783
German. Italian literature is fantastic, but even it falls short of the likes of Goethe, Schiller, Rilke, Holderlin, Kafka, Musil, Doblin, Mann, Schmidt... Not to mention philosophers.
>>
>>7626790

i'm responding to the OP who said he is A2. i don't know if you're the OP or whatever but at A2 you are pretty much only able to follow the most simple grammatical forms and your vocabulary is tiny.
>>
>>7626796
I'm not OP, I just considered myself A2 but I'm able to read German relatively easily
>>
>>7626790
Have you done any official tests? Usually at A2 is means basic understanding of written texts, <5000 words in vocabulary and formation of basic sentences. If you follow 90% of german in articles and such you are probably above B2/C1 level, at least in reading. Written and fuck, grammar, is another beast.
>>
>>7626800
By "on internet" i meant when Germans are talking. I can read /deutsch/ on /int/ without having to look anything up usually.
Newspapers like Die Welt jam me up good. The German there is ridiculous.
>>
>>7626791
>>7626792

But it is hard desu senpai, any tips for learning.
>>
>>7626805
Well, written casual german is usually easier to understand because 1) the subject matter is easy or 2) strict grammatical structure is not being followed.

If you want to compare your knowledge to what is accepted by the german educational standard (at least to foreign university students) you should refer to the Goethe institute's levels of understanding : http://www.goethe.de/lrn/prj/pba/bes/enindex.htm
>>
File: Universitä Wurzburg.jpg (2MB, 520x380px) Image search: [Google]
Universitä Wurzburg.jpg
2MB, 520x380px
>>7626766
A nice little old shack you got there in marburg
>>
File: RWTH.jpg (98KB, 740x500px) Image search: [Google]
RWTH.jpg
98KB, 740x500px
>>7626839
That's an okay looking tower there.
>>
>>7626864
>going to STEM uni
>>
>>7626765
Ja, just like "legit".
>>
>>7626820
I don't actually know German grammar and vocabulary well, but obsessively listening to Einstürzende Neubauten and Kraftwerk helped my pronunciation a lot.
>>
I'm also at about your level OP and I'm reading the books that I found in the /int/'s sticky (A compilation of .PDFs...).
There's only like 3 of them there but they are pretty nice.
>>
We really need a German lit chart.
I would do one but I don't know about translations

As for OP, every literary journey into a new language has to start with a translation of le petit prince.
Also I remember Borges mentioning that he learned German with a copy of Heine's poems, which is a great choice since they are written in relatively easy (though somewhat dated) German yet carry so much musicality, they defy every cliché one can have about our tounge, Goethe's Divan has a similar effect
>>
>>7626766
>Fitzek
Kek I know a guy that reads his thrillers exclusively
>>
>>7623779
this, great and easy novel
>>
File: german.jpg (944KB, 1926x3700px) Image search: [Google]
german.jpg
944KB, 1926x3700px
>>7627890
>>
>>7627941
No Broch's Death of Vergil?
>>
>>7627941
No no no, that chart is incomplete and not sorted

looks like I need to take this into my own hands
>>
File: ZnqQ5.gif (2MB, 357x296px) Image search: [Google]
ZnqQ5.gif
2MB, 357x296px
>>7628104
brave good anon, you are the hero we deserve
>>
File: 1450082247881.jpg (54KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1450082247881.jpg
54KB, 600x600px
bumpa
>>
File: haw-20090704124833.jpg (741KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
haw-20090704124833.jpg
741KB, 1024x683px
>>7626864
Heidelberg. Check it out
>>
Momo by Michael Ende

I haven't read it yet because i'm still at B1ish level and it's probably best for like B2ish, but it's a kids book.
>>
>>7631336
>B1-B2 level
Check out Homo Faber. Its not great literature, but readable at that level. Else, I recommend Schachnovelle by Stefan Zweig, or Siddhartha by Herman Hesse, those are not terribly hard. If you want something more challenging, I suggest Das Parfum, I read it at your level, although it does go a little bit too much into details of plants and other things related to smell which can be very tiring if you have a basic understanding of german vocabulary.
>>
Does anybody have any recommendations for good Danish authors?
I checked the /lit/ recommended page and it doesn't have anything. Didn't feel like I should clutter the board by making a thread about it
>>
>>7627788
kek
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.