[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did he misinterpret The Catcher in the Rye?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: mark-david-chapman.jpg (66KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
mark-david-chapman.jpg
66KB, 500x380px
Did he misinterpret The Catcher in the Rye?
>>
>>7623337
His interpretation was valid.

I was recently listening to the White Album (thanks spotify) and I realized that Manson's interpretation was pretty correct as well. ISIS and Salafist interpretations of the Quran are pretty spot on.
>>
>>7623349
>ISIS and Salafist interpretations of the Quran are pretty spot on.

Not even Houellebecq believes that.
>>
>>7623337

Yes on page 138 Phoebe clearly tells Holden to murder the frontman of the insect men
>>
>>7623361

actually people like Isis and Westbotou people follow the closest the teaching of their religion. So, in the unlikely event that God realy exists, it's people like this who go to heaven, while the wast majority end up in the same place as the atheists
>>
>>7624306
why are you here exactly?
>>
>>7624316

4 the memes
>>
>>7623337
No. J.D. Salinger's original intention, as seen in many of his letters to his publisher, was that someone would use it as a justification to assassinate John Lennon.
>>
File: Bitch ass niqqa.png (211KB, 610x343px) Image search: [Google]
Bitch ass niqqa.png
211KB, 610x343px
John Lennon was a phony. Holden hated phonies. About the only connect I can make.
>>
>band called the Beatles
>all members were human

PHONYYYYYYYY REEEEE
>>
There's no "correct" interpretation of a novel. There may have been a message intended by the author for the reader to get, but coming to alternative interpretation or conclusion as a reader is as just a valid experience as following the authors intentions. Sometimes it leads to more healthy results than what the author intended; see examples above.
>>
Was Holden Caulfield a character Salinger wanted people to strive to be like or was he a facet of youth?
>>
>>7624457
memes aside Lennon seriously was a huge phony
there is some interveiw where the interviewer asks says something along the lines
"You talk about peace and helping humanity, but with all of your millions of dollars what have you done for peace other than putting up artistic billboards etc?"

and he just fumbles and hems and haws with no real response
>>
>>7624853
Beetles... You're thinking beetles... Fucking r9k dolt
>>
holy shit i didn't know this trivia.
v i lenin was a fucking phony.
>>
>>7623337
Ceaselessly into the past...
>>
>>7623337
No. he took the alternative nding is all
>>
he thought he was holden.
but thematically, i dont doubt that he could relate to him.
he was just stupid and probably somewhat narcissisticly religious.
>>
>>7623337
he believed in the bible
>so...
>>
>>7624457
john lennon raped his kid sister phoebe
>>
>>7624920
yes lenon was a phony but honestly everyone kinda is.
all famous people are egomaniacs.
at least he tried to cleanse the unwashed masses, even if it was for his own gain.
i dunno i dont really hold it against him, i would do the same thing.
the fact that he chose to spread that message is sometihng to note i think.
>>
>>7624869
So "The novel made me kill Lennon" is definitely not incorrect?
>>
>>7624869
lol this is such a fucking 9th grader teacher explanation.
its a snapshot of angst.
it doesnt have a specific meaning but there are clear limits.
>>
>>7625107
Not indeed wrong.
>>
>>7625124
well i would say it was wrong on account of the fact that even the murderer, now a self acknowledged lunatic, feels he made a mistake.
he thought something magical was going to happen to him and it didnt, so he was wrong.
the book also at the end has a clear message about human connection, something that this guy clearly didnt unerstand.
>>
>>7624879
Both. Holden acted like a fucking child in numerous situations in the book, like after he got punched he pretends he's in a movie and shoots Maurice as revenge.

But, on the other side of the coin, Holden is pretty perceptive of phoniness in adults, like the occasions he was at the bars. And despite being guilty of being fake, he's trying his best to retain himself in that sea of phoniness.
>>
>>7625243
But isn't that the problem? One realization you encounter as an adult is that everyone is phony. Holden's inability to cope with reality adds to his fucked up-ness.
>>
>>7623337
The book was pretty shit. I had to read it when I was in high school and it was singularly boring.
>>
>>7623337
bill hicks?
>>
File: image.jpg (22KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 306x306px
>>7624306
>killing even a single person is like killing all mankind
>follow the closest the teaching of their religion
>>
>>7626295
Context matters, habibi. "Killing a single person is like killing the whole of mankind" was told to the Israelites, not the Muslims.
>>
>>7626295
>But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practise regular charity, then open the way for them: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.

Yeah, it's contradictory book. It was written by an epileptic pedophile, what do you expect? There is no true Islam except violent imperialist expansion because the religion was created to justify violent imperialist expansion,
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.