[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good adult fairy tale style books? When the writing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

File: 1453708393496.jpg (374KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1453708393496.jpg
374KB, 2048x1365px
What are some good adult fairy tale style books? When the writing is wondrous yet aimed at a mature audience first and foremost.
>>
Eve in Crackland.
>>
Walter Moers. Read Rumo and The City of Dreaming Books. Great tales.
>>
Angela Carter's the bloody chamber
>>
>>7623077
The Child Thief is a pretty neat-o retelling of Peter Pan
>>
>>7623264
Written by 'Brom' by the way. Don't read if you want your childhood memories of Peter Pan ruined though, it's a dark and unforgiving retelling.
>>
Cyberiad
>>
Magic Realism
Garcia Marquez, Cortazar
>>
>>7623284
ugh please no
>>
>>7623303
why not?
>>
>>7623313
dunno, you're probably right, it's just that latinoamerican writers don't entice me in the slightest
>>
>>7623319
But Cortazar is Belgian :^)
>>
>>7623101
Moers is great. I also found The Book of the New Sun very dreamlike, but ymamv.
>>
>>7623077
Aimee Bender's short story collections. The Colour Master is pretty good.
>>
>>7623344
>>7623101
These sound interesting thank you
>>
every serious writer of fairy-tales writes for adults, even if they also write for children.
>>
>>7623378
This is true in a sense that good fiction can be good across the board, have an upvote. But this thread is about modern approaches and "aimed at mature audience first and foremost" type of stuff.
>>
C A L V I N O

This is literally HIS niche.

Baron in The Trees, Invisible Cities, and Cosmicomics are fucking M A S T E R P I E C E S
>>
Phantastes and Lilith by George MacDonald.
>>
>>7623414
Fucking this. You absolutely cannot pass up Italo Calvino if you're looking for mature fairy tales
>>
My first book of the year was The Snow Child, which is based upon the Russian fairy tale Snegurochka. But I would place it in the camp of Magic Realism, heavy on the realism
>>
>>7623077
Marcel Schwob- the book of monelle and imaginary lives. some of the weirdest lit i've ever read
>>
murakami
>>
>>7623077

Lud-in-the-Mist
>>
Recently read The Blue Bird by Maeterlinck. Wonderous read, childlike beauty in style with The Little Prince.
>>
>>7623562
>>7624297
not on libgen, anyone got a link?

>>7624297
high praise
>>
>Alright, Kristen, lay back on that couch we found in the dumpster. Give me that 'I just shot up' look. Yeah that's it. A bit less eyes, a bit more teeth. Perfect. Alright, cameraman. I want a medium shot with her grubby knees in the foreground, and her head a third of the way down. Got it? Good. Cinematographer, what is it going to look like?
>Like literal piss. Like we are watching everything through a haze of urine. Like Piss Christ but Piss Mary Magdalene.
>Perfect. And action.
>>
>>7623319
Same here, I specially dislike latin american lit, it's all the same shit and usually it's all about >muh poor life in bumfuck nowhere >how can I make this book even more provincian >hurr durr.

But trust us on this one. Their magical realism is indeed top tier.
>>
>>7623344
be warned that Bender's use of language is almost obnoxiously casual. She writes like a teenager speaks. Which is ok, but...just be warned.
>>
>>7623264
Help I wanna read this but I can't find it in #bookz or on google play books. What do?
>>
>>7623077
The Bloody Chamber.
>>
The Ocean at the end of the lane
>>
File: fuck filters.webm (3MB, 1920x804px) Image search: [Google]
fuck filters.webm
3MB, 1920x804px
>>7626401
>>
OP, ignore all preceding suggestions and go directly to Ludmilla Petrushevskaya.
>>
Lord Dunsany is a great place to start.

Lewis Carroll is perfectly good for adults.

Borges.
>>
>>7626508

Infernal Desire Machines is also excellant.
>>
>>7626713
Where can I find more of this color correction version?
>>
File: War_of_the_Flowers.jpg (76KB, 300x466px) Image search: [Google]
War_of_the_Flowers.jpg
76KB, 300x466px
>>7623077
>>
File: 1453416037413.jpg (2MB, 1920x1632px) Image search: [Google]
1453416037413.jpg
2MB, 1920x1632px
>>7628991
I got the webm from /tv/
>>
>>7623414
>>7623443
Yes. The Nonexistent Knight and the Cloven Viscount have to be added to this list. Also, Marcovaldo is great. Not so much fairy tales but fun short stories about a man and his family living in an Italian city.
>>
Neil Gaiman's Stardust

I thought it was some shitty YA work, but it surprisingly captivated me for the short novel it was -- worth a read.

In a somewhat ironic way (not sure if he's going for that) he takes the architecture of fairy tales (the whole "here's your main character, here's the magical forest, oh and did I mention some mysterious witch? And throw some romance in there too, oh don't forget about "The End.") and makes it better
>>
>>7626687
I can't shake the feeling that Gaiman phoned it in with Ocean at the End of the Lane.

I mean I enjoyed it, but it didn't strike a chord with me like Sandman did
>>
>>7629576
What movie? The black guy looks like Will Smith.
>>
>>7630024
Suicide Skwad trailer

>>7629958
Sandman was a glib facsimile of Swamp Thing.
>>
>>7629614
>architecture of fairy tales

Is there a good essay / discussion regarding the structure and writing process involved with creating a fairy tale or a modern twist on the formula?
>>
>>7623077
Little Big (?)
>>
>>7630049
I've not even heard of Swamp Thing, so I'll trust you on that anon.

OP, you might want to check out one of Donald Barthelme's short story collections
>>
>>7630079
You're in for a treat then. I will.
>>
>>7630079
Oh and it goes without saying that I meant Alan Moore's Swamp Thing.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.