[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ulysses

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: _VER1118.jpg (572KB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
_VER1118.jpg
572KB, 2000x3000px
Hey, Anons. Today, I've finished the "Telemachiad" of Joyce's Ulysses, or, the first 45 pages of the Gabler. I've been using Gifford's Ulysses Annotated only for Latin and French quotations I can't derive any meaning from on my own, but I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't be doing this at all? If maybe I should only look at annotations at the end of the chapter? Or maybe that not understanding what's going on is maybe part of the intended effect—especially in the third episode. Any Ulysses vets care to weigh in?

picture unrelated
>>
File: _VER1140.jpg (635KB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
_VER1140.jpg
635KB, 2000x3000px
>>7621959
I should clarify—it's not that I don't understand what's going on at all. Only that the book, no more powerful than in that third episode, oscillates between a space of having a narrative foothold, of events and sensations to latch on to, and densely allusive free indirect discourse that I sometimes will have to go back and read two, three, four times to get anything. It's taxing, I'll admit. But it is rewarding already.
>>
it is easier to read, especially if it's your first time, if you don't try to get every reference and just treat it like a novel. come back to it afterwards and analyze it to death with a million commentaries but the first time just turn your brain off lmao
>>
>>7621959
other than the shape of his head maybe, that's an incredibly ugly face
>>
>>7621972
agree with this. ulysses is best when you dive right in and just let it drown the piss out of you. then when you've reincarnated, you can come back and look at what happened.
>>
>>7621959
>look at annotations at the end of the chapter
That's what I did, skipping unimportant details, and I found it a good compromise.
>Or maybe that not understanding what's going on is maybe part of the intended effect
I wouldn't think that, at least not that way. Joyce in showing off would probably expect some elements not to be understood, but unlike some modern authors, the purpose of all his obscurity is not impressionistic as a rule.
>>
>>7621959
Versace?
>>
>>7622090
apart from the crooked nose and dumbo ears he looks perfectly fine.

they probably selected him for the crooked nose though, fashion people tend to be fed up with conventional beauty.
>>
>>7623097
You know nothing, crooked nose on men has always been fashionable, it's almost a cliche
>>
Don't skip over everything you don't understand, but this really becomes more evident in the second half when shits confusing on purpose, but it has substance. Proteus does make sense even though it's Stephens overly educated voice and vocab. I'd suggest reading it, then going back with annotations and see the stuff you might have missed. Gives it your own retrospective arrangement hawhawhawhaw
>>
>>7623106
Of course, but there's a limit, as there is with scars. This dude far surpasses that limit.
>>
It kinda looks like his head is made of jello, and the top part of it was pushed and the bottom part hasnt adjusted yet.

Im wondering if his head will move the other way when he steps with his other foot.
>>
>>7621959
>pic
I'm struck by the strangeness of his shoe
>>
>>7623106
have you looked at the lad in question? his nose looks like someone is having a laugh designing a video game character
>>
File: _VER0816.jpg (577KB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
_VER0816.jpg
577KB, 2000x3000px
>>7621972
>>7622111
thanks for the advice, anons.

>>7622930
>the purpose of all his obscurity is not impressionistic as a rule.

okay, perfect, thank you.

>>7623087
yes. they had some nice looks.
>>
You should read it without the annotations first and then reread it it with annotations. It's the way Joyce wanted you to do it.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.