[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

All right I've seen so much talk here about how riveting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (72KB, 510x680px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72KB, 510x680px
All right I've seen so much talk here about how riveting this book is that I have to read it now.

What translation do you recommend?
>>
Penguin, Buss translation. Cheap and great and unabridged/uncensored.
>>
>>7619539
seriously just read up to the time skip and then make up your own last 700 pages. this novel is serialization bloat to the max.
>>
File: thefuck.gif (2MB, 360x215px) Image search: [Google]
thefuck.gif
2MB, 360x215px
>>7619740
What is going on in that picture?
>>
Does anyone know what translation the Barnes and Noble "Leatherbound" one is? There doesn't seem to be a name anywhere.
>>
File: TSTRSMD1957.jpg (28KB, 220x369px) Image search: [Google]
TSTRSMD1957.jpg
28KB, 220x369px
>>7619539
>What translation do you recommend?
Pic related isn't bad
>>
>>7619760
I can't be sure (I wondered the same thing), but it's unlikely to be unabridged; it's about 150 pages shorter than the penguin text.
>>
Can't we just have a /translation/ general or something? Tired of seeing you pretentious americans starting threads about great books everyday only to ask for the translation.
>>
File: 1449870119551.jpg (132KB, 1074x716px) Image search: [Google]
1449870119551.jpg
132KB, 1074x716px
>tfw french
>tfw Le Comte de Monte-Cristo is my favourite book of all time.

I feel bad for you having to read a translation.
>>
>>7619740
>Missing the best parts because you have ADHD
>>
>>7620177
>americans
Fuck off, nigger.

Not everyone knows a second language, american or not
>>
File: 002.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
002.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>7620161
The Penguin one seems to be smaller in size compared to the B&N one, and there seems to be a decent amount of text fit into one page, though I'm not sure if it's the unabridged either.
>>
>>7620196
Was not talking about knowing a second language, but in Europe we have only one translation, at least for easy shit like Monte Cristo, which we get off the shelf and read. There's no point in asking for the translation if you're a casual reader.
>>
Just make sure you read the unabridged version.
>>
>>7620273
This.
While there are a lot of passage and sections that feel like they're there to prolong it's serialization, everything is so interconnected that all abridging attempts have been disastrous.
>>
>>7619760
That book seems so supercilious and gaudy. Makes me cringe when I see people proudly display it on their bookshelf.
>>
I read the copy that's on Project Gutenberg.

I'm not 100% certain if it's wholly unabridged, but I definitely got the lesbian vibe that is supposedly cut out of most versions, I believe PG update books when a fuller translation comes out - the three musketeers lacks absolutely nothing, I compared the newest Pevear, and while they have different word choices etc, all the somewhat erotic scenes cut out of the original translations are definitely in it. I actually liked the PG version better than Pevear, he's such a pompous shitbag -

"Richard Pevear (2006), who, though applauding Barrow's work, states that most of the modern translations available today are "textbook examples of bad translation practices" which "give their readers an extremely distorted notion of Dumas' writing"

He describes Rochefort as having a rueful countenance, where PG gives him a stern countenance. Sometimes his word choices were just to update for easier reading (hostelry to inn for example was one I think), but that first description of Rochefort who is such an important character just put me off.
>>
>>7622038
Those notes are all focused on the 3 musketeers which i did compare. The Count of Monte Cristo was fine, I read it a year or two ago so haven't compared it.

For print version I've no idea.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.