[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bukowski

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: ham_on_rye3.jpg (38KB, 310x475px) Image search: [Google]
ham_on_rye3.jpg
38KB, 310x475px
Wanted to get some /lit/ opinions on Bukowski. I sort of disregarded Bukowski after reading Post Office (which was fine but felt a bit gimmicky) and seeing so many of his quotes as sort of "anti-motivational" memes on Facebook walls.

However, I thought Ham on Rye was great and really gave a lot more substance to the Chinaski character, meanwhile showcasing Bukowski's ability as a writer beyond "AW FUCK I'M LATE FOR WORK SUCK MY DICK BABY."

Basically, should I bother with Factotum or Women?
>>
Post Office is fucking awful, Bukowksi sucks dick.
>>
>>7619288
Excellent discussion! What didn't you like about it? I felt like it's the sort of story that's often imitated by your psuedo-beatnik creative writing majors. That said, it was definitely enjoyable at times.
>>
>>7619231
He's my favorite author. I especially love Post Office because of the humor & its relentless dedication to detailing the hellish life of the working man. I have a lot of his poetry books too. Hell, Bukowski even inspired me to become a writer.
www.jasonkessler.net
>>
>>7619231
Check this out. It's a song based on one of my favorite Bukowski poems, "Crucifix in a Death Hand"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiEHzCs2W3o
>>
More like "Brokowski" amirite?? XDDDDDDD
>>
ham on rye was cock.
>>
>>7619307
I thought that the writing was very bad and that Bukowski tried very hard to be "too cool for school!" Honestly I think I would've loved it in high school, maybe early college years as well. I just don't find that attitude appealing anymore. Most people I know that really love Bukowski are extremely insecure and self-loathing and use this totally fake "fuck it" mentality to try and seem cool.
I actually have to modify that last comment in my original post, though. Bukowski's novels suck dick, but I do like some of his poetry.
>>
>>7619363
More like Bukkake, cuz that's how I feel like after I read his garbage.
>>
>>7619470
Feel about the same. I first read his poetry, that was touching at times.I truly believe is the last great romantic poet. His novels are mildly entertaining, I think notes of dirty old man is great
>>
DUDE LIQUOR AND WHORES LMAO
>>
I don't understand the hate Bukowski gets. You don't have to like him but it seems people go out of their way to join the bandwagon of people who dislike him just to seem cool
>>
Bukowski sucks. Not only that he has no writing skills, but his works have no substance too. In spite of these, he is famous and this is not quite surprsing. It's only due to the fact that his books come as a shock. They are so sincere, that they keep your attention. That, ofc,if you are a fan of vampire books or other useless shits. Bukowski is like a disgusting man who climbs a bulding and starts to scream something that has no sense. Stupid people would fall for him, would pay him attention, would FUCKING LISTEN TO WHAT HE IS SAYING, just because he had courage, something they have not. But a smart one would just laugh, call him a fagg and simply walk away. That's because he knows he is talking bullshit.
>>
>>7619604
This is the most elitist post I have ever read.
>>
>>7619579
Again, I don't think he's anything mindblowing but Ham on Rye at least gave some context to why Chinaski is Chinaski. And again, I think he is often imitated which probably frustrates those who are constantly bombarded by such imitations.

I think the "fuck it" mentality was also a turn-off for me; however, understanding its context in Bukowski's work gives you something to think about. Anyone who's so easily impressionable to attach themselves to such a mentality has their own set of problems. It's like some dude reading Hemingway and deciding to become a streetfighter who eats roots and pounds rum in an effort to "live by the code."

I will say, though, I do get annoyed at the Bukowski quotes that pop up in NEET threads.
>>
>>7619667
Yeah, Bukowski is much more tolerable when you consider the context he wrote his work under. His entire "fuck it" mentality becomes understandable once you realize the circumstances he grew up in and the unwanted mundanity of his adult years.

His work does become infuriating when people start posting his quotes and claiming things such as "This is how life really is, man. Bukowski got it right," even though there is no reason for them to possess any views that are similar to Bukowski's.
>>
>>7619312
"While tearing a baguette asunder twixt my teeth I felt the muzzle of Mr. Hobbes’ pistol dug in just under my rib cage." Dude, chill out!
>>
>>7619720
Exactly. The first time I heard of Bukowski was through two hipsters at my university. Both creative writing majors supported by their parents, spouting the "Bukowski got it right." The hate is somewhat understood but I think that most of those people don't give him a chance, which I admit I really hadn't until Ham on Rye.
>>
File: image.jpg (185KB, 768x864px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
185KB, 768x864px
>>7619231

Women has some very realistic depictions of what's going on in the mind during sex.

Really though, I don't get why Bukowski is so famous these days. At college, I heard him get brought up by hipster chicks even more than Kurt Vonnegut which really doesn't make sense to me considering their intense SJW sensibilities. I brought him up in a conversation with a professor once and quickly backpedaled out of it when I realized how embrassing it was to bring him up.

I don't think he's bad or anything, but it is kinda hard for me to summarize his work beyond "LETS FUCK!"
>>
>>7619983
OP here, thanks for the feedback.

Now, LET'S FUCK.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.