[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did he manage to publish novels in English when he became

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: heart of darkness.jpg (53KB, 269x401px) Image search: [Google]
heart of darkness.jpg
53KB, 269x401px
How did he manage to publish novels in English when he became fluent in his 20s? I know kids with immigrant parents who can't even speak their first language fluently anymore.
>>
His prose is low tier
>>
I really don't know why you find that so impressive. I'm confused every time I read it.
>>
>>7618211
How the fuck is it possible to write a book (even one that may not be so good as you say) in a language that you become fluent in in the 20s?
>>
>>7618220
Talent presumably
>>
>>7618204
>How did he manage to publish novels in English
>he became fluent in his 20s

You answered your own fucking question, retard
>>
>>7618220
Are you mono - lingual?
>>
>>7618204
Poles stronk like bull
smart liek tractor
>>
>>7618220
It's not that hard tbqh
If you've the talent to become a great writer, you've the talent to do it in another language. That's the hard part
>>
>>7618232
English is not my first language but I struggle to communicate in my first language because I don't really speak it at home anymore.
>>7618235
What is hard?
>>
>>7618220
Age doesn't matter that much, as long as you get proficient in the language you should be able to write correctly in the language.
How beautiful is your prose will depend of how well-read and/or talented you are.
>>
>>7618204
>I know kids with immigrant parents who can't even speak their first language fluently anymore.
Writing and speaking are different skills. You may not be able to speak the language for a variety of reasons (strong and thick accent, wrong pronunciation of words) even if they have enough knowledge of English to express their thoughts.
It happens surprisingly often, that a handful of very good writer tend to be poor speakers, just like some great philosophers with strong words in paper tend to be barely persuasive in conferences.
>>
>>7618204
>he still uses 'kids' to describe people he knows
>>
>>7618296
Well look at the thread he made. Clearly a subbie.
>>
Fuck that book.
>>
>>7618287
>Writing and speaking are different skills. You may not be able to speak the language for a variety of reasons (strong and thick accent, wrong pronunciation of words) even if they have enough knowledge of English to express their thoughts.

This is correct - Stephen Vizinczey from Hungary published books in English starting in his 30s, and even in interviews on YouTube in his 60s, 70s he had a thick accent
>>
>>7618204
I think people of the past had an advantage in attempting things.

Nowadays we have a lot of theories holding us back. Back then people could just went "I wanted to do it, so I did it. What can I say?"
>>
>>7618220
It really isnt that impressive
>>
>>7618333
I just read it on a whim with audiotapes over a few days. It actually really enjoyed it, there were a few paragraphs written beautifully.
>>
>>7618204
>I know kids with immigrant parents who can't even speak their first language fluently anymore
This doesn't seem relevant to me. You make it seem as though Conrad became fluent in English in his 20s, then started churning out novels written in Polish. If the sons of immigrants can't speak their native tongue so well, it means they must speak English better, which is how it must have been for Conrad.
>>
>>7618241
Where you from? Which language would you write in, given the chance?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.