[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get into the Arthurian legend, but how do I go about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

I want to get into the Arthurian legend, but how do I go about it?

I was planning on reading Le Morte Darthur by Malory, re-read Sir Gawain and the Greentexter and then Tennyson's Idylls of the King, but I'm sure there is a lot more material out there.

Are there any essentials that I should read aside from Malory and the Gawain poet?
>>
>>7617401
Bernard Cornwell's series desu.

One and Furture King I guess.
>>
Read the section from Geoffrey of Monmouth on Arthur, that's good and one of the earliest accounts if I remember right.

Chretien de Troyes is also essential Arthuriana.

There's a lot of other stuff out there too, but these plus the ones you've named are the most important.
>>
>>7617423

Any particular editions for Geoffrey and Chetrien that you would recommend?

I was thinking of getting the Norton Critical Edition of Malory, but I don't know if the Oxford edition of his Complete Works is any better (the fat, red one).
>>
>>7617467
For Geoffrey I don't think the edition matters too much, he has a very plain, direct style, and isn't making references or anything where notes would be too useful for. I read the Penguin and I'd recommend that.

For Chretien, there aren't many available. I have the Yale University Press edition translated by Burton Raffel, which I got mainly because I liked his work on Nibelungenlied. I know there's a Penguin edition, and that's probably fine too.

For Malory I read the Norton, which is a very good critical edition. It does some things like recreate the way the original manuscript printed certain characters names and other phrases were printed in a different font. This doesn't really add anything and can be a bit distracting. Really I think this or the big red are fine, the Norton just has the extra essays and things at the back. If you aren't comfortable reading middle English which can be a little awkward at times, the Oxford World Classics is in modernised spelling and is abridged, which isn't too much of a problem with Malory because he is very long and a lot of it isn't too interesting. The highlights are very good though.

The tl;dr version of this is that there aren't really that many different versions available, and the differences aren't that great so pick any that seems to have any edge for your personal tastes.
>>
>>7617649

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I think I'll go with Penguin for Geoffrey and Chretien and Norton for Malory, mainly because of the price and because I like the publishers. I skimmed through the Norton edition and liked the way in which they recreate the manuscript's font, albeit it is a bit gimmicky.
>>
>>7617685
Well I work for Norton so I will approve your decision. The bible paper it has is nice too
>>
File: ASftK_GV.jpg (48KB, 228x379px) Image search: [Google]
ASftK_GV.jpg
48KB, 228x379px
>>
File: 424272.jpg (42KB, 316x475px) Image search: [Google]
424272.jpg
42KB, 316x475px
Julius Evolas The Mystery of the Grail: Initiation and Magic in the Quest for the Spirit is a good companion book to go with le morte d'arthur, as it explains the esoteric meaning of it's symbolism and it's allegorical content
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.