[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
Hi Lit
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
Hi Lit
I am a complete /lit noob.
What are the first 50 books I should read?
To put it into perspective, I just finished reading 1984. I have just begun dracula.
I am reading on the bus when I go to and fro work.
I read lord of the flies & brave new world in school, so no need for those ones.
Beyond these, I haven't literally read nothing.
So give me your most basic 50-100 books to give me a decent base to work with!
>>
>>7615572
Good on you friend! This is a decent list http://www.theguardian.com/books/2003/oct/12/features.fiction Basically just read the ones you've heard of first, then come back her when you want advice for more.
>>
You have to show that numbers mean something to you when you can finish something, not much different from eating at a buffet.
>>
>>7615581
thanks! this looks like a good starting point.
desu i feel like my mind is fucking pleb tier since i haven't read anything
>>
>>7615572
start with short stories

And dracula is so boring...
>>
>>7615600
Don't worry about it mate, just be excited you have so many fantastic novels to read! Most of us have already read them; I wish I could go back and read them for the first time again.

Some "easier" big popular novels might be stuff like:
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Great Gatsby
One Hundred Years of Solitude
Lolita
Pride and Prejudice
The Catcher in the Rye
Wuthering Heights
Heart of Darkness
Gulliver's Travels
Catch-22
The Grapes of Wrath
The Stranger
Great Expectations
A Tale of Two Cities
Beloved

Some big popular novels that I think are legitimately fantastic are:
Don Quixote
Moby Dick
War and Peace
The Brothers Karamazov
Anna Karenina
Crime and Punishment
Les Miserables

I'd stick to the "easier" ones until you start getting a bit sick of them, then perhaps move onto something like Anna Karenina. Basically read what appeals to you and that challenges you a bit but not so much you get frustrated, just enough that you feel that "wow" moment while reading.
>>
>>7615618
i will read everything on that list and come back in like 1 years time lol.
basically i spend about 10 hours a week on the bus. so 10x52 = 520 hours.
>>
>>7615629
Sounds fun.

Yeah I had to commute long distances in my youth and I read so much. on the train. Long commutes suck but at least reading makes it fun/productive.

Enjoy the books, and if you find yourself really disliking one, don't force yourself to read it. It's perfectly okay to dislike a classic.
>>
OP, see: >>7604403
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
Thread DB ID: 456662

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.