[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hobsbawm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

Thoughts on this book and on Hobsbawm in general? I would like to read pic related and the others 3 books, but first I want to know what is /lit/'s opinion on him.
>>
>>7615475
Marxist, revisionist, apologetic hack
>>
File: mfw_reading_hobsbawm.gif (2MB, 280x296px) Image search: [Google]
mfw_reading_hobsbawm.gif
2MB, 280x296px
Marxist propagandist. He writes a supposed world history but vital shit like the Franco-Prussian War, the decline of China/rise of Japan and America's wars of expansion are barely mentioned.

>>7615579
too right
>>
Read some of his stuff when studying identity and Nationalism, I think he's very reductionist, typical old school marxist
>>
Are there any history books that don't suck? It seems like every single history book out there is a biased inaccurate piece of shit.
>>
Hobsbawm is an interesting guy. He's been called, somewhat fairly, a Stalinist apologist for downplaying and "contextualising" certain things. If it's any indication, he was one of the founding figures of Past & Present, an extremely important historical journal still today, and of its founding members (all communists) I think he was the only one, or one of the only ones at least, who didn't repudiate his card-carrying status after 1956 / 1968. This was amid waves and waves of intellectuals and particularly historians repudiating their party allegiance, sort of defining moments of disillusionment for those generations. tldr: He is definitely a card-carrier.

His long ninteenth century trilogy is well-regarded by pretty much everybody. They are great survey textbooks. It's mostly his twentieth century stuff that is sometimes called revisionist or pinko sympathetic.
>>
>>7615729
>Europe's Tragedy - Peter Wilson
>A People's Tragedy - Orlando Figes
>Anne Applebaum - Iron Curtain
>>
>>7615729
I always try to use oxfordbibliographies.com, or the top source on a wikipedia article after i read its academic reviews. Here are some of my favorites:

A Savage War of Peace: Algeria, 1954-1962 - Alistair Horne
The Adventures of Ibn Battuta: A Muslim Traveler of the Fourteenth Century, Revised Edition, with a New Preface - Ross E. Dunn
Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster - Svetlana Alexievich
To the Bitter End: Paraguay and the War of the Triple Alliance - Chris Leuchars
The Conquest of the Incas - John Hemming
Batavia's Graveyard: The True Story of the Mad Heretic Who Led History's Bloodiest Mutiny - Mike Dash
The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon - David Grann
Empires Of The Sea: The Final Battle For The Mediterranean, 1521-1580 - Roger Crowley
Citizens: A Chronicle of the French Revolution - Simon Schama
Keepers of the Keys of Heaven: A History of the Papacy - Roger Collins
Vanished Kingdoms: The History of Half-Forgotten Europe - Norman Davies
Under the Black Flag: The Romance and the Reality of Life Among the Pirates - David Cordingly
In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex - Nathaniel Philbrick
After the Ice: A Global Human History 20,000-5000 BC - Steven Mithen
The Crusades: The Authoritative History of the War for the Holy Land - Thomas Asbridge
The Great Game: The Struggle for Empire in Central Asia - Peter Hopkirk
India: A History - John Keay
The New Testament: A Historical Introduction to the Early Christian Writings - Bart D. Ehrman
Shake Hands with the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda - Roméo Dallaire
The Rape of Nanking - Iris Chang
Devil Take the Hindmost: a History of Financial Speculation - Edward Chancellor
1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus - Charles C. Mann
The Third Reich At War (The History of the Third Reich, #3) - Richard J. Evans
The Sword and the Shield: The Mitrokhin Archive & the Secret History of the KGB - Christopher M. Andrew
The Great Siege: Malta 1565 - Ernle Bradford
The Great Betrayal: The Memoirs of Africa's Most Controversial Leader - Ian Douglas Smith
Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity, and Poverty - Daron AcemoÄŸlu
The Swerve: How the World Became Modern - Stephen Greenblatt
>>
>>7615932
The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy - Peter H. Wilson

The Grand Strategy of the Byzantine Empire - Edward N. Luttwak
The Coming of the Third Reich (The History of the Third Reich, #1) - Richard J. Evans
Jerusalem: The Biography - Simon Sebag Montefiore
Iron Kingdom: The Rise and Downfall of Prussia, 1600–1947 - Christopher Clark
Panzer Leader - Heinz Guderian
The Gnostic Gospels - Elaine Pagels
The Great Arab Conquests: How The Spread Of Islam Changed The World We Live In - Hugh Kennedy
The Great Heresies - Hilaire Belloc
Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar - Simon Sebag Montefiore
The Early Chinese Empires: Qin and Han (History of Imperial China) - Mark Edward Lewis
All the Devils are Here: The Hidden History of the Financial Crisis - Bethany McLean
The Thirty Years War - C.V. Wedgwood
The Crime of the Congo - Arthur Conan Doyle
The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History - John M. Barry
>>
>>7615763
If I keep in mind that he's a marxist and somewhat biased, are his works still worhty?
>>
>>7616208
Yes. (Plus every historical study contains moral and so on values by the author, there's no 'objective' value-free historical writing.)
>>
>>7616222
thank you.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.