[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Voltaire 101

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: Voltaire-jeune003.jpg (40KB, 387x598px) Image search: [Google]
Voltaire-jeune003.jpg
40KB, 387x598px
I tried asking for suggestions on how to start with Voltaire on /his/ but didn't have luck. Can you help me, /lit/? I'm tired of him being mentioned in, for example, realist French works, and not knowing shit about him.
Where should I start? What do you recommend reading?
Also translations recommendations are appreciated.
>>
Aight here's the deal

Voltaire is public domain so you can use google to read most of his works. This is really helpful when you're bored and want to find the odd letter or essay to peruse.

Of his major works, Candide is the most major of his fiction (though Micromegas and Zadig are worth the reads) and besides that I would recommend his Dictionnaire Philosophique -- 120 mean, pointed essays from ya boi Voltaire.

There's plenty of biography on him -- there's a good one in the public domain by John Morley -- and it's always a blast to read about his times.

I would check into his correspondence with Rousseau and Frederick of Prussia as well, if I were you.

Enjoy it m8 I wish I could read Voltaire for the first time again
>>
>>7614066
Nice answer, appreciated. Any insight on translations?
I'm looking for physical books but it's nice that he's public domain for the reason you mentioned.
>>
>>7614075
I've read Candides from translators Frame and Cuffe, both were good enough. My Dictionnaire Philosophique was translated by a Besterman

the translations come less into play with his letters, which are not to be slept on
>>
>>7614082
Thanks anon.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.