[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Books for inmates

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

File: prison_1565169c.jpg (30KB, 460x288px) Image search: [Google]
prison_1565169c.jpg
30KB, 460x288px
I need ideas for books to send to someone serving a three-month jail sentence. I can provide any further context if desired.

Preferably promoting HONEST introspection, self-analysis, and self-improvement.

This person needs a LOT of self-care and is on the precipice of cognitively realizing this - I'm looking for a text that will push them over the edge into "Oh, I CAN be better! I'm actually allowed to love myself and that's okay."

Something practical. Something that can't readily be argued against, even in the midst of severe bias and general prejudice of the external.

I really care about this person and this sentence is the culmination of a long history of self-hate and fear ruling their lives. This book could legitimately change everything for them.
>>
Mindfulness in Plain English - Bhante Gunnaratana
>>
File: 9780679739890.jpg (22KB, 291x450px) Image search: [Google]
9780679739890.jpg
22KB, 291x450px
Portrait of as a the artist young James man Joyce
>>
Steppenwolf
>>
>>7613355
The Holy Quran- Allah (the creator, the exceedingly merciful the all-embracing, the giver of honor and dishonor)
>>
>>7613355
Tao of pooh.

Seriously.
It's simple enough that regardless of them being a genius who made a mistake or a dumb idiot they'll be able to understand it
>>
>>7613355
The new testament
>>
Thanks, guys. I'm ordering each suggestion (except Joyce) directly to my friend.

I would greatly appreciate any and all other suggestions to widen my friend's perspectives.
>>
>>7613360

This. Also my first thought. Is exactly what I would be doing if I landed myself in jail.
>>
OP, you need to throw in some poetry.

maybe some Whitman?

Leaves of Grass.
>>
>>7613656
I support this suggestion.
Leaves of Grass will undoubtedly lift your spirits.
>>
I'd be interested if any of you guys knew some good books about being in prison.

I'm writing a novel about a high school kid who gets falsely accused and convicted of rape right before college. It would be cool to write accurately about gangs and other aspects of prison life.
>>
>>7613360
literally who?
>>
File: Bhante Gunaratana.jpg (227KB, 1014x949px) Image search: [Google]
Bhante Gunaratana.jpg
227KB, 1014x949px
>>7613754
>>
>>7613355

The Book of Disquiet.
They might kill themselves though, I know I would if I read that and couldn't go outside afterward.
>>
>>7613355
I know it's not very popular around here, but Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts is EXACTLY the book for this situation. Look it up.
>>
Also, A Place to Stand by Jimmy Santiago Baca.
>>
>>7613355
in search of lost time
>>
>>7613355
>The Human Comedy
>Finnegans Wage
>Arabian Nights
There are a plenty
>>
Thus spoke zarathustra
The war of art by Steven pressfield
The power of purpose by Peter temes
KING by Elliott hulse
>>
>>7613940
Ooh yeah, and add The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph campbell
>>
>>7613830
i'd happily prefer jail over reading that mystical bullshit
>>
>>7613945
second this

Get Stoner too.
>>
OP
If you think you can do this you're the one who has a lot of reading to do.
Sorry about your luck, just being honest.
>>
The Bible

Preferably a Catholic version so it has more material
>>
>>7613355
Send him a copy of Meditations.
>>
>>7613355
The Stranger
>>
the suggestions in here are horrible. if you're actually serious about this then the Bible and supplementary materials.
>>
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich
>>
The Quran
>>
>>7614138
Maybe you didn't read OP's post correctly: he wants his friend to become a better person.
>>
Dream of a ridiculous man. Dostoevsky
>>
>>7613950
Good for you
>>
>>7613374
Joyce should be instantly banned on /lit/ because it is no more than a meme
>>
File: qt kek.jpg (6KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
qt kek.jpg
6KB, 284x177px
>be in National Guard
>just graduate as an infantryman
>lol we need you to go overseas
>agree, and go to train up before deployment
>lol nope you're on the backup list to go
>stay at pre mobilization site for 6 months away from long term gf and dogs that mean more to me than some dumbass kid
>lol you will go overseas soon anon
>will be overseas for 3 months by the time i go over
>entire company/batt is white trash and fucking losers in RL
>Go to pub tonight because can't leave post... bored... miserable... get paid to do nothing... nothing becomes depressing
>fellow comrade puking guts out in bathroom right now after gay ass pub where I waste my money
>feel empty and completely deprived of meaning in everyday life
>read dostoyevsky and camus... absolute fuitility in existence
>why the fuck am i here?

fuck you Op... you're degenerate scum... have fun creampieing your neighbor you degenerate fuck

life is retarded... I understand why veterans kill themselves.. the Army is retarded... fuck this gay earth... enjoy life wagecucks and NEETS.
>>
>>7615157
like your life? XD
>>
File: bane.jpg (90KB, 800x580px) Image search: [Google]
bane.jpg
90KB, 800x580px
>>7615172
you should insert more memic ticks in your post XD
>>
Convict conditioning
>>
Growth of the Soil - Knut Hamsun

it's certain to lift his spirit and want him to build things
>>
>>7615170
Hey bud, once you get back to your gf and dogs things will get better.

Be paid to be bored sucks, especially when you're away from home. I can't provide an answer to it, but keep reading. Maybe start writing. I spend most of my work-day think about what I'll write and revising in my head, jotting down bits on my phone, since I'd have fuck all to do otherwise.

Then, get that shit down somewhere. If you're in a shared dorm and people will give you shit, just say your on Facebook or whatever and then they'll just hear you typing and won't care.

Also, one thing I do is live as frugally as I can, so at least when I get home I haven't wasted all my money on booze just to dull the pain, and I can actually get something out of the time of thrown away.

But yeah, head up dawg.
>>
File: comfy.jpg (9KB, 147x250px) Image search: [Google]
comfy.jpg
9KB, 147x250px
>>7615229
i appreciate man,you know I try to make the most of it. I read and go workout.. etc. It is definitely overwhelming though... wasn't expecting being gone 1.5 years straight joining the nasty girls.

I suppose it's a learning experience and something that I'll be able to look back upon and laugh about.

Well, I'm drunk and tired... have to go sign in early in the morning..

Thank you for the encouragement. Its tough being gone, but not too gone.. people have had worse... yet still feeling alone.

Maybe writing and reflecting will be beneficial and help me cope with the situation.

Anyways, thank you for the response anon...I'm drawing a blank on what else to say, but thank you for understanding.

Maybe one day I'll be reading something you wrote.

Keep going.
>>
>>7615170
dude just read books
jesus christ
>>
>>7613846
It'll get stolen and used as ciggy paper
>>
>>7615170
>gets paid to do nothing
>complains
kill yourself
>>
Sorry to ask OP but what did he get 3 months for.... Can you share?
Also try ''Rollo May - Man's Search For Himself''
>>
Crime and Punishment.

Seriously.
>>
>>7613355
Funnily, Daniel Pennac listed his perfect inmate library for life-sentence in one of his novels (two of those actually, one pessimistic and one idealistic).

Personnaly, I would advise :

Steppenwolf
Siddartha

If he's into SF, then Dune
>>
>>7613355
What'd he do? Is he a nigger?
>>
>>7615170

>life is retarded

Eloquence, beauty, poetry.
>>
>>7615749
how'd you get from /pol/ to /lit/
>>
>>7613384
I know this is b8
but it honestly is very enlightening
>>
>>7615170
>he thought people telling him that the military is bullshit were just being edgy

Only a few people actually drink the kool-aid anon.

Just save fucking everything and make use of dat GI Bill
>>
>>7615756
Look ya baby, people from different backgrounds have different ideal book recs

Strong arm robber niggaz need different books than drunk driving white teenagers
>>
I was not going to bother with an answer as I thought it would be dismissed as random BS. It comes with a matching set of trailing ellipses that he would have to finish for himself. The best good to be done by him can not be be done for him.

Another recommendation in this thread changed my mind, as it is so apropos. So I'm going to suggest my own as well. First:

>>7613940
>The war of art by Steven pressfield

Strongly seconding this.

And my own suggestion: Journey to the End of the Night by Louis-Ferdinand CĂ©line.

And no more. After reading both I suggest talking to him and getting a feel for what he should read next by what he has to say.
>>
The Imitation of Christ
>>
>>7613355
Just link him to Reddit OP ;)
It has all the best memes.
>>
File: 1451425427104.jpg (33KB, 500x394px) Image search: [Google]
1451425427104.jpg
33KB, 500x394px
>>7613950
Can't handle the bhanter?
>>
Autobiogrpahy of Malcolm X
>>
>>7613355
>this sentence is the culmination of a long history of self-hate and fear ruling their lives. This book could legitimately change everything for them.
Mein Kampf.

Less memetically, The Ego and Its Own. Hopefully he'll see that protecting himself and that which he consumes takes precedence over all else.
>>
Send them The Room by Selby Jr.
>>
>>7614112
Ha
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.