[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /lit/ think about Somerset Maugham? Was he just a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Somerset_MaughamLarge.jpg (36KB, 389x500px) Image search: [Google]
Somerset_MaughamLarge.jpg
36KB, 389x500px
What does /lit/ think about Somerset Maugham?
Was he just a good story teller? Did his novels lack literary value?
>>
>>7611808
I've only read a few of his stories but they've all been excellently crafted, rich with insightful meditations on particular kinds of people. a jungian would probably have fun reading him; there's some precedence vague for this as zizek is fond of illustrating a concept using a Maugham situation. he does it at least twice in Organs without Bodies. make of all that what you will; you only asked what I think of the man, and well, this is what I thought of him.
>>
>middle class British man living overseas before/during/after world war two

It's been done and none of them did it well
>>
>>7611808
I really enjoyed of human bond age but I can see why it's overlooked as a classic
>>
>>7611808
His short stories are his best work,he could write a ten page short story that would make you rethink your life.
Everyone points to Of Human Bondage as his classic work but I thought The Moon and Sixpence was far better.
>>
All I know is Wittgenstein didn't like him and one normie girl I know does like him, and he wrote a book called 'Cakes and Ale' which sounds like some disgustingly white shit.

From these I can only guess he is awful- what's he like?
>>
>>7611808

Great writer.

Read his journals and the shit he was writing as journal entries at 18 made me ashamed of myself.
>>
>>7613923

How many normies like the Rolling Stones?

Would you say they're not one of the best if not the best band of all time?

Some shit normies like is great.
>>
>>7613923
>'Cakes and Ale' which sounds like some disgustingly white shit.
And Go Tell it on the Mountain always came off as disgustingly black shit.
>>7614932
The Rolling Stones ripped off whatever sound was popular at the time. They're hacks of the highest order.
>>
>>7614943

The Rolling Stones ripped off whatever sound was popular at the time. They're hacks of the highest order.

You're culturally illiterate.
>>
>>7615013
The Rolling Stones suck, why would you use them as an example of positive normie culture?

Anyone claiming Rolling Stones is an actually good act, calling someone "culturally illiterate", makes me wanna gag.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.