[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could you recommend some edgy literature? Morose, extreme, purgative,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: PL09.jpg (425KB, 685x1015px) Image search: [Google]
PL09.jpg
425KB, 685x1015px
Could you recommend some edgy literature? Morose, extreme, purgative, severe, etcetc

Books that go along with books like Paradise Lost, Greek tragedy (particularly The Bacchae), Naked Lunch, Notes from the Underground, The Metamorphosis, Bataille, Hamlet, Sade, etc.
>>
>>7610977
Pessimisstic stuff like Schopenhauer, Cioran, Ligotti
>>
bump for interest
>>
>>7610977
Bumping because also very interested in this.

I guess if you want severe extreme literature, check out Las Casas' A Short Account of the Destruction of the Indies. Hubert Selby Jr is pretty damn distressing too but maybe you've already read some of his works?
>>
I thought of a lot - to make it more navigable I marked how they fit the four criteria you mentioned (morose etc.) and scaled it from most fitting to least
>Antonin Artaud's "The Theatre and Its Double" and "To Have Done With the Judgment Of God" (m, e, p, s)
>Francis Bacon by John Russell (Thames and Hudson "World of Art") (m, e, p, s)
>Surrealist Poetry in English (e, p, s)
>Moortown Diary by Ted Hughes (e, p, s)
>The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym by Poe and short stories, esp. The Unparalleled Adventure of One Hans Pfaal - A Descent into the Maelstrom - MS. Found in a Bottle - The Pit and the Pendulum (m, e, s)
>Defoe's Journal of the Plague Year (m, e, p)
>The Prussian Officer - The Fox - The Rainbow by D.H. Lawrence (p, s)
>Robert Eisler's Man Into Wolf (non-fiction) (e, p)
>Ballard (Crash esp. looks promising) I recommend the short stories The Drowned Giant and The Terminal Beach (p, s)
>The Sexual Life of Catherine M. (s)
maybe:
>R.D. Laing's The Politics of Experience and The Bird of Paradise (m, e, s)
>Mervyn Peake's Titus trilogy (m, s)
>Carlyle's History of the French Revolution (more interesting than it might sound) (e, p)
>The Subterraneans by Kerouac (m)
>Jeff Nuttall (e)
>A Thousand Plateaus (e)
controversial plays which I haven't read:
>Saved by Edward Bond
>Blasted by Sarah Kane
>Mercury Fur by Philip Ridley
You have De Sade and Bataille listed, but in case you haven't read these:
>De Sade's Dialogue between a Priest and a Dying Man
>Bataille's On Nietzsche, Solar Anus and On the Use-value of D.A.F. De Sade
if you're willing to try:
>Michael Rosen's Carrying the Elephant and "Let's Get Out of Here" (it's children's poetry but I found it intense). (p)
>R.D. Laing's Conversations with Children (e)
>>
>>7612546
God damn man, thank you for this.
>>
guyotat and sotos if you can find them

of course bataille, burroughs, cioran, celine, lovecraft, artaud and i'm sure you can go from there
>>
>>7612546
sweet recommendations anon, not op but gonna save it
>>
>>7612626
>>7612779
if you like that list you might like River by Ted Hughes as well - I'm not sure if it's exactly in line with the OP, it's intense though.

Other things you might like which I haven't read are:
- Webster the Elizabethan tragedian and his plays The White Devil and The Duchess of Malfi
- Jean-pierre Vernant: not sure of the specific work but I recommend Mortals and Immortals: Collected Essays which the contents list refers to death, sacrifice, combat etc. and Vernant is a really interesting writer (we were given a quote of his in our Iliad notes at university and I still remember it).

looking for one I looked through at the library a long time ago, I think this is it:
- Extreme Bodies: The Use and Abuse of the Body in Art by Miglietti

I'm looking for a romanticism history book I read once which had some interesting stuff in it as well, no luck as yet - romanticism as a whole, especially the philosophical side might be worth looking into, though.

and speaking of romanticism another "maybe" is Goethe's "The Sorrows of Young Werther" - it took me a second time of reading it to appreciate it, maybe it helped that I'd been through something like he had by the second time.
>>
File: 31EJDHBtOaL._SL500_.jpg (15KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
31EJDHBtOaL._SL500_.jpg
15KB, 333x500px
>>7613153
This is it - The Romantic Movement in the "Problems and Perspectives in History" series
>>
>not one post of Hogg

HAHAHAHAHHA
>>
>>7610977
Tadeys by Osvaldo Lamborghini.
>>
>>7613538
damn, i came too late
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.