[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Italo Calvino

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: Italo-Calvino[1].jpg (54KB, 330x438px) Image search: [Google]
Italo-Calvino[1].jpg
54KB, 330x438px
I've been reading a lot of Calvino. Like, a lot. A book a day almost. I can't stop. I'm reading and re-reading. I've never done this with an author before.

Any advice? Any other authors I may like in this sort of way? It's hard to explain. Something about the way he crafts stories is overwhelmingly appealing to me. His stories aren't overly complicated, they aren't hard to read, but in some way they all seem to inspire feelings deep inside of me that I just haven't gotten from most literature.

I mostly read old books. Calvino is probably the only post-ww2 author I really love, so I'm probably open to a lot of options.
>>
If you feel that way about Calvino I have nothing to suggest.
>>
Borges and the oulipo movement have obvious similarities to his work. I'd also recommend some Dino Buzzati and maybe some folktales. ETA Hoffman also wrote a buncha fairy tales but also some meta fiction so you might enjoy that
>>
>>7610729
Thank you. I hadn't heard of Buzzati, and I have Labyrinths sitting on my shelf but haven't yet read.
>>
>>7610729
He has hardly any connections to the oulipo other than joining a few years before it ended. There is nothing in his texts that suggest he practiced what Quenueau et al hoped to achieve.
>>
Borges (start with short stories like The Library of Babel; The circular ruins; the Aleph; the book of sand; the immortal; Tlon Uqbar Orbis Tertius; la escritura del Dios=(find how they translate it into English ); the Two Kings and the Two Labyrinths (google this one its just a page and a half long!!!) )

Dino Buzzati
(Although his novels are classics I reccomed you his short stories. My two favorites are The walls of anagoor; and Seven Messengers)

Marcel Schwob
Titles in spanish you look them in english: la cruzada de los niƱos (something like the crusade of the children); other short stories..

Giovanni Papinni
Short stories, pick any of his good books
>>
>>7610527
i very highly recommend milan kundera in and of himself as an author but also for his relative similarity to calvino; they're not exactly the same per se, but i feel like somebody that enjoys one would enjoy the other
>>
>>7610527
If you haven't read it, maybe The Little Prince? Also very simple but deep.
>>
>>7610527
Calvino is the best.
>>
>>7611147
this, couldn't recomend Kundera enough
>>
>>7610527
Go for Gogol. The only obvious similarity is in the folktales roots, but you should like him too.
>>
>>7610527
W. G. Sebald, the Rings of Saturn is one of my favorites. I read Invisible Cities right after it.
>>
>>7611981
You're retarded for saying sebald is like Calvino
>>
Dual Calvino on the front page!
>>
>>7611147
>in and of
>per se
no wonder you enjoy Kundera.
>>
>>7612020
He didn't say Sebald is like Calvino.
>>
>>7610527

In addition to some of those mentioned:
Queneau
Perec
>>
>>7612164
He's making the connection between the two, since he felt the need to respond to this thread.

>>7612176
They're nothing like Calvino. Have you actually read them?
>>
Fucking betrayer of the nation
>>
>>7610527
Recommended books?
>>
>>7612196
I didn't say Queneau and Perec are like Calvino.
>>
John Barth and Donald Barthelme's short stories
>>
>>7612176
>Queneau
>Perec
>>7612196
>They're nothing like Calvino. Have you actually read them?
>I never metafiction
>>
>>7611981
Sebald is nothing like Calvino.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.