[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Literary Theory

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

I want to develop a basic understanding of literary theory and its history/evolution and thought this might be a good place to begin. Am I making an awful mistake?
>>
Norton Anthology is usually accepted as the gold standard, but the Johns Hopkins has a very good reputation as well. Just note it's more of an encyclopedia (organized alphabetically) as opposed to the Norton, which traces major theorists chronologically.

The Johns Hopkins also doesn't include excerpts, but is rather just essays outlining major theorists + some general contextualizing and interpretive information.
>>
>>7609625
Thank you, the Norton Anthology is exactly what I was looking for.
>>
These were posted the other day:

Abrams - The Deconstructive Angel
Barthes - Death of the Author
Benjamin - The Storyteller
Derrida - Structure, Sign, and Play in the Discourse of the Human Sciences
Foucault - What is An Author
Jakobson - Linguistics and Poetics
Miller - The Critic as Host
Orwell - Politics and the English Language
Schopenhauer - On Authorship and Style
Wimsatt - The Intentional Fallacy

http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/iWrNbwkv/file.html

With these orders:

Historically:

Thematically:
I Structuralist, Post-structuralist, Linguistics

II Deconstruction:

III Psychoanalysis:

IV Politics, Ideology, Cultural History:
>>
>>7609625
Not OP, but was just wondering, the first or second edition? The second is much more expensive on Amazon, so do you think the first edition is good enough?
>>
>>7609752
Yes, especially if you're just looking for intro/overview. It's not like shit that's a few hundred years old is gonna go away in the ten years between editions. The differences/cuts/removals/additions in excerpts are very much "academic" and shouldn't matter unless you're a professor teaching a college course.
>>
>>7609683
Thank you. I'll most likely end up reading through the Norton Anthology and then return to these once I have some orientation.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.