[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dan Simmons thread? I know he's probably pleb tier by /lit/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 3222979.jpg (12KB, 307x475px) Image search: [Google]
3222979.jpg
12KB, 307x475px
Dan Simmons thread?

I know he's probably pleb tier by /lit/ standards, but which book of his should I read next?

Nearly finished pic related but have also read:

Carrion Comfort
Hyperion
Fall of Hyperion
The Terror

"The Abominable" sounds very similar to The Terror based on the description. I'm leaning towards Song of Kali or Black Hills. Any suggestions?
>>
>>7609282
I was surprised how good Hyperion was.
>pleb by /lit/ standards
They hardly understand that epic sci-fi/fantasy can't reach the quality of classics but it neither intends to.
>>
>>7609282

For genre-fiction he is high-tier, being able to switch between fantasy/sci-fi/horror and usually get a good reception is pretty impressive tbhf.

out of the ones I've read
Hyperion - 8
The Terror 8.5
Song of Kali - 7
Black Hills - 5

Black hills is kinda of uninteresting but worth a read if you are a huge fan I guess, would rec. Song of Kali over it for sure.
>>
>>7609310

Hyperion is one of my favourites. I enjoyed it much more the second time around. Fall of Hyperion not so much. The first half was pretty good but felt the Severn & the Core arc got a bit too complicated.
>>
Hyperion along withe The Forever War are my favorite sci fi books. Herbert can suck a dick.
>>
>>7609282
Abominable isn't really like The Terror OP. Its pretty enjoyable though.
>>
>>7609605

The way the story is described on the back cover makes it sound very similar.

Abominable looks like it will be my next choice. It is the middle of January and freezing outside so the mood is already set.
>>
>>7609383

Song of Kali has that god-tier introduction, though, with the daydream of people running through rivers of molten glass like insects on fire. I've always loved that excerpt.
>>
>>7609282
I actually just read Drood, based on... liking Edwin Drood, and Dickens in general. And it's got good ideas, but I felt it was padded in places and definitely didn't need to be 700-odd pages. Has he got anything a bit tighter? I'd like to give him another go.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.