[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lit/, I need help/opinion regarding Dostoevsky. A year back

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: dosto.jpg (164KB, 770x929px) Image search: [Google]
dosto.jpg
164KB, 770x929px
/lit/, I need help/opinion regarding Dostoevsky.

A year back I bought some books without giving much thought to the translation.

I recently realized the importance of the translator and have this dreadful feeling of having screwed up.
Here's what I bought.

1. Notes from Underground (Bantam Classic): Finished it.
Translator: Mirra Ginsburg
Introduction: Donald Fanger

2. The Idiot (Penguin Classics): Yet to read
Translator: David McDuff
Introduction: William Mills Todd III

3. The Brothers Karamazov (Bantam Classic): Yet to read
Translator: Andrew R McAndrew
Introduction: Konstantin Mochulsky

How much did I mess up?
Should I sell these books and get good translations? I don't want to read a bad translation of such an acclaimed author. What translations would you recommend? Please help.
>>
I got for P&V because Orthodox Christians go for that translation. The reason being the wife has long been a professional translator of theological works for the Russian Orthodox Church and she can catch theological nuance and use of theological terms.
>>
>>7608831
The Idiot translation by McDuff is one of the best so don't worry about it. I have no idea about the other two but you should check the thread titled Translations as this is being discussed there and you could use that information.
Also >>7608833 is a bad meme and just copied the same he posted in the thread I talked about.

Back to /his/ and your shitty religious threads Constantine.
>>
>>7608831

>1. Notes from Underground (Bantam Classic): Finished it.
>Translator: Mirra Ginsburg
>Introduction: Donald Fanger
I'm not familiar with her translation work, but from what I can see I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of her work.

>2. The Idiot (Penguin Classics): Yet to read
>Translator: David McDuff
>Introduction: William Mills Todd III
McDuff is widely praised for his translation of Dostoyevsky, and from what I've read/am reading of his work (Karamazov) I would agree.

>3. The Brothers Karamazov (Bantam Classic): Yet to read
>Translator: Andrew R McAndrew
>Introduction: Konstantin Mochulsky
I thought this was a very good translation, and the Introduction is excellent too, although looking over it I see a minor spoiler at the top of p. xvi, i.e., the crime at the center of the book, the murder of the father, and a big spoiler at the top of p. xvii, the solution of the mystery. The minor spoiler isn't that big a deal I think, so I think it's profitable to read up to maybe the bottom of p. xvi, or just read all of it after reading the book.
>>
>>7608899

It's good to know that the translations are good, but is there a general consensus on which ones are the best?

I've heard so much about the brothers karamazov that I want to be completely sure that I read the best possible translation there is.
>>
>>7608831
http://bookzz.org/g/Larissa%20Volokhonsky

I am not by any means someone who knows his shit on this, but there was a thread where a couple anons opined that Larissa Volokhonsky as Dostoevsky's best translator.

Here are her versions if you are interested.
>>
>>7608933
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Pevear_and_Larissa_Volokhonsky

Although here is an article damning them, and it seems relevant to your interests:

http://www.webcitation.org/6a8P98OL2
>>
>>7608938
>>7608899
>>7608840
>>7608933

Thank you anons! I have an idea about what translation to go for now. Not as conflicted as before.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.