[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I buy this book, family?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

File: The_Stand_cover.jpg (22KB, 240x372px) Image search: [Google]
The_Stand_cover.jpg
22KB, 240x372px
Should I buy this book, family?
>>
>>7607712
only if you want to read it, i guess.
>>
>>7607712
doesn't look like literature
>>
Just read Camus' - The Plauge.

Much better.
>>
>>7607718
OP here, what's wrong with Stephen King?
>>
>>7607730
Post-80s king is a hack.
this novel is 78? So eh
>>
>>7607730
THE DECISION to give the National Book Foundation's annual award for "distinguished contribution" to Stephen King is extraordinary, another low in the shocking process of dumbing down our cultural life. I've described King in the past as a writer of penny dreadfuls, but perhaps even that is too kind. He shares nothing with Edgar Allan Poe. What he is is an immensely inadequate writer on a sentence-by-sentence, paragraph-by-paragraph, book-by-book basis. The publishing industry has stooped terribly low to bestow on King a lifetime award that has previously gone to the novelists Saul Bellow and Philip Roth and to playwright Arthur Miller. By awarding it to King they recognize nothing but the commercial value of his books, which sell in the millions but do little more for humanity than keep the publishing world afloat. If this is going to be the criterion in the future, then perhaps next year the committee should give its award for distinguished contribution to Danielle Steel, and surely the Nobel Prize for literature should go to J.K. Rowling.
>>
>>7607735
i don't understand, I thought he was amazing when i read Pet Sematary, why would you say he's a hack? when have you ever written anything? i bet you don't even have nearly as much money as King, and you're pretending like you have any right to call him bad.
>>
>>7607744
yeah, so what? bloom never wrote anything of discernible talent. try typing your own reasons out next time. he's just angry that King makes so much more money than him and he'll die an unknown loser.
>>
>>7607751
>you need to be rich to have an opinion
>>
>>7607756
HELLO, Americans like King live in a capitalistic society, money has meaning. if you don't have money, you're just a worthless loser like bloom.
>>
File: images-2.jpg (20KB, 335x438px) Image search: [Google]
images-2.jpg
20KB, 335x438px
>>7607751
>>
>>7607766
why is that trolling? King is a legitimately amazing writer, show me your novel that is on shelves across the united states! you aren't even worthwhile to criticize him.
>>
>>7607712
I read it, I believe the version I got was the unedited one, which was unfortunate because parts of the book dragged on and on. Still a pretty fun read and a good escape from the more /lit/-approved stuff.

A lot of plebs read king so it was nice to have something in common with them. It also allowed me to start a conversation about books with people who aren't super serious about reading.
>>
>>7607776
thank you for your imput, but why does reading King make me not super serious? you're just uppity.
>>
>>7607773
it's not literature.
this is a literature board.
>>
>>7607784
who are you to define literature? what are the guidelines for literature? please show me.
>>
>>7607762
>if you don't have money, you're just a worthless loser

>people actually think this
>>
>>7607791
>americans
>>
>>7607784
Time to break out my Google machine. >>7607790
>>
>>7607791
your just a poor loser who thinks you're special, but your not. money makes the world go around. let me know when you write a bestseller.
>>
>>7607799
Since you or on a LITERATURE BOARD you should know that half of the authors held in the highest regard spent their entire lives in poverty
>>
>>7607799
>your just
>your not
>>
>>7607795
ha, as if that will help you. you're so pretendious that you think you can determine literature. go ahead, post a definition.
>>
>>7607783
I mean, King isn't exactly challenging literature. from what I remember The Stand is a very readable book, it's a straight good vs evil plot, no new ideas are explored. It's just a fun setting and everything that happens in the book is pretty predictable
>>
>>7607802
yeah, well they were losers too, if the people around them won't even buy they're work, then they're probably not that good, are they?

you pretendious jerks make no sense.
>>
Actually read The Stand several times here.

It's worth a read, but it has flaws. Stu and Franny get REALLY hard to put up with about half way through, and the ending is basically as bad as physically possible. That said it's a fun book with a lot of interesting ideas.
>>
>>7607806
>words and shit
Alright there you go. A non objective relatable view as to what this literature thing is. Now shut the fuck up everyone.
>>
>>7607810
>you pretendious jerks make no sense
>pretendious
>>
>>7607807
so only challenging books make you serious about reading? ugh. all these pretendious jerks. none of you have wrote anything worthwhile and you want to attack one of the greatest writers ever. your just jealous.
>>
>>7607810
>Kafka was talentless
>Dickenson was Talentless
>Poe was Talentless
>Van Gohh was talentless
>Gauguin was talentless
>>
>>7607811
Is this the novel where it starts in the diner and there was a breach in security at a military facility so the couple dip sets?
>>
>>7607811
finally someone who isnt a pretendious jerk who thinks he's better than everyone. thank you for your imput. I think i'll be buying it.
>>
>>7607818
no one but pretendious jerks know who those people are. you just shout out names to make yourself seem smart when it really just makes you look like a jealous loser.
>>
>>7607819
Gas Station, not diner. But yeah.
>>
File: grass_gunter_1.jpg (19KB, 340x256px) Image search: [Google]
grass_gunter_1.jpg
19KB, 340x256px
>>7607826
>misspells pretentious in a previous post
>tries to play if off as a joke
>>
>>7607826
>he hasn't heard of kafka
>he hasn't heard of van gogh
>>
>>7607744
Poe didn't write penny dreadfuls. I don't even like King but for fucks sacks Bloom.
>>
>>7607822
make sure to buy the original and not the uncut addition, the extra pages don't make it any better IMO but this guy >>7607811
might have a better opinion
>>
>>7607827
It rang a bell from years ago.
>>
>>7607836
Only ever read uncut, so I can't judge.
>>
>>7607830
your a liar.
>>7607831
who cares? no one knows who those people are.
>>7607836
thank you anon, I will.
>>
>>7607773
He's on shelves because he's very good at telling stories to idiots :^)
>>
>>7607846
wheres your published book, loser?
>>
>>7607842
you've never heard of van gogh?
>>
>>7607851
no. that sounds like a joke name. who is it?
>>
>can't tell if OP is baiting successfully a bunch of faggots who unironically respond, or he's just responding to himself and making it believable
>40 replies, 10 IPs
Wew
>>
>>7607831
>>7607851
please stop falling for this obvious bait
>>
oh, it's that painter. yeah, i feel silly, i thought you were trying to troll me.
>>
>>7607863
OP here.

I just wanted to know what you guys thought of the Stand. The guy masquerading as the OP is going a good job at rustling everyone
>>
>>7607730

Nothing.

Autistic contrarians of /lit/ just like to shit on King because he's popular and his books are just stories that aren't particularly deep, challenging or thought-provoking.

All of this is true, but for the most part they are entertaining and despite the autists of /lit/ desperately wishing otherwise, fit the definition of literature.

My main problem with King is that he's made several comments to the effect about tv and video games being mindless drivel when his books are pretty much the same damn thing.

But go ahead buy The Strand, it's one of his better ones and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
>>
File: dis bait.jpg (80KB, 529x397px) Image search: [Google]
dis bait.jpg
80KB, 529x397px
>>7607878
welp, it was fun while it lasted, so long shitlords!
>>
Yes, it is obligatory.

Harold Lauder is the most disgustingly accurate 4chan caricature in fiction.

Not in a zany TV Kramer xD way like Ignatius or a brooding jaded sophisticated time is flat circle way like The Underground Man.
>>
File: 1446532282096.jpg (439KB, 2060x856px) Image search: [Google]
1446532282096.jpg
439KB, 2060x856px
>>
>>7607718
doesn't look like you read.
>>
>>7607730
King has an amazing ability to draw you into a story and keep you interested for hundreds and hundreds of pages. The Stand is one of his best books in that regard. His ability to craft characters that are interesting, unique and likeable is incredible.

Any aspiring writer should study how he does it and steal it. But /lit/ is full of pretentious twats that prefer feeling "superior" (to whom, if they are shit at everything?) than study, write or ever just read.
>>
>>7607784
>I decide what's literature based of my 101 IQ and my copy of Ulysses that I only powered through to brag that I read it.
>>
File: 011.jpg (54KB, 783x598px) Image search: [Google]
011.jpg
54KB, 783x598px
>tfw you watch this as little kid alone at night
>>
>>7607730
He's not a good writer. His stories are decent, if that's your thing, but his prose is below average.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.