[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Essential nihilist books. Go.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

File: 345345353.gif (23KB, 472x562px) Image search: [Google]
345345353.gif
23KB, 472x562px
Essential nihilist books. Go.
>>
What is this sequence?
>>
Check the wiki, for fuck's sake,

Saged.
>>
File: celine.jpg (59KB, 318x468px) Image search: [Google]
celine.jpg
59KB, 318x468px
>>7606062
Someone had to post it
>>
>>7606066
Fibonacci sequence
>>
>>7606075
5+3=11?
>>
>>7606075
n-no it's not?
>>
>>7606068
I did but I didn't find much. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.
>>
Blood Meridian
>>
>>7606072
Thanks, I've read this one. I quite liked it.
>>
>>7606068
>>7606083

Didn't find jack shit about nihilistic literature on the wiki either...
There's a "Depressing literature" section but that's not the same at all.
>>
sade
>>
OP here, clarification: I'm mostly interested in nihilist philosophy, although I wouldn't mind any kind of suggestion.
>>
>>7606076
>>7606080
Stop fucking lying
>>
>>7606062
w-w-w-w-w-whadda these numbers mean?
>>
nothing
>>
>>7606100

senpai onegai
>>
>>7606099
>nihilist philosophy

There's no such thing.
>>
>>7606099
>nihilism
>philosophy
Nihilism is the philosophical equivalent of shoving your head in a hole and your thumb up your ass.
>>
>>7606101
Google Image search says "random sequence numbers" and there are hundreds of results for it on pages relating to randomness. I suspect it's the output of some sort of random number generating algorithm.
>>
>>7606108
>>7606104
Whatever guys, you know what I mean. I'm interested in people that wrote stuff that you would put under the label "nihilist", that's all.
>>
>>7606114
>you know what I mean
I don't think that you know what you mean
>>
>>7606125
epic trolling bro
>>
>>7606125
It's easy. Have there ever been philosophers/writers that wrote about this thing we called nihilism? I wanna read that stuff.
>>
Didn't read it yet, but I heard that's what Demons by Dostoevsky was about.
>>
>>7606157
Thanks for your input!
>>
>>7606062
The Ego and Its Own.
>B-but memes!
Well yeah, there's a reason it's got memes about it.
>>
>>7606171
I read it about a month ago. Thank you for the suggestion though.
>>
Atomised by Michel Houellebecq.
>>
Fathers and Sons
>>
>>7606132
I got you

entry level Jean Baudrillard: Simulation and Simulacra, Transparency of Evil,
other Baudrillard worth reading: America, Conspiracy of Art, The Gulf War Did Not Take Place, The Spirit of Terrorism, Fatal Strategies

Andre Breton's collected "Manifestos of Surrealism"

Tristan Tzara's Dada Manifestos (various collections, all generally short reads)

The Philosophy of Andy Warhol by Andy Warhol

Eugene Rose/Seraphim Rose "Nihilism: the Roots of Revolution in the Modern Age"

Bataille "The Thirst for Annihilation" ("Acurssed Share" is also interesting but not about Nihilism primarily)

Cioran: "A Short History of Decay"

Lyotard: "The Inhuman"

-------
Has anyone read "In the Dust of this Planet" by Eugene Thacker? Any recommendations for or against?
>>
>>7606207
Cheers mate, good stuff, thanks for replying.
>>
"The present essay is a typical attempt at sublimation. The author does not suffer, he is filling pages and is going to be published in a journal."
>>
John Green novels are really nihilistic, kids with cancer? fuck, if kids actually got cancer this world wuld be bad
>>
File: 2198610.jpg (48KB, 298x475px) Image search: [Google]
2198610.jpg
48KB, 298x475px
Strongly recommended.
>>
>>7606212
no problem. I think it's important to remember that Nihilism takes on different meanings to different people and in different situations

Baudrillard: "I am a terrorist and nihilist in theory as the others are with their weapons. Theoretical violence, not truth, is the only resource left us.”

Baudrillard: "The apocalypse is finished, today it is the precession of the neutral, of forms of the neutral and of indifference. I will leave it to be considered whether there can be a romanticism, an aesthetic of the neutral therein. I don't think so — all that remains, is the fascination for desertlike and indifferent forms, for the very operation of the system that annihilates us. Now, fascination (in contrast to seduction, which was attached to appearances, and to dialectical reason, which was attached to meaning) is a nihilistic passion par excellence, it is the passion proper to the mode of disappearance. We are fascinated by all forms of disappearance, of our disappearance. Melancholic and fascinated, such is our general situation in an era of involuntary transparency.
I am a nihilist.
I observe, I accept, I assume the immense process of the destruction of appearances (and of the seduction of appearances) in the service of meaning (representation, history, criticism, etc.) that is the fundamental fact of the nineteenth century."

Warhol: "Apparently, most people love watching the same basic thing (actions shows on TV, fh), as long as the details are different. But I’m just the opposite: if I’m going to sit and watch the same thing I saw the night before, I don’t want it to be essentially the same – I want it to be exactly the same. Because the more you look at the same exact thing, the more the meaning goes away, and the better and emptier you feel."

Warhol: "If you want to know all about Andy Warhol, just look at the surface; of my paintings and films and me, and there I am. There’s nothing behind it… …I see everything that way, the surface of things, a kind of mental Braille. I just pass my hands over the surface of things. "

Breton: “Nothing that surrounds us is object, all is subject.”

Breton: "I have always been amazed at the way an ordinary observer lends so much more credence and attaches so much more importance to waking events than to those occurring in dreams.

Tzara: "You'll never know why you exist, but you'll always allow yourselves to be easily persuaded to take life seriously.”

Tzara: “Dada is not modern at all, it is rather a return to a quasi-Buddhist religion of indifference. Dada puts an artificial sweetness onto things, a snow of butterflies coming out of a conjurer's skull. Dada is stillness and does not understand the passions.”
>>
>>7606207
The Thirst for Annihiliation is about Bataille, it isn't by him - it's by Nick Land.

I recommend maybe De Sade's Dialogue between a Priest and a Dying Man
>>
>>7606207
>mentions Breton and tzara
You're full of shit
>>
>>7606506
What? Why?
>>
>>7606548
not him, but breton's surrealism has fuck all to do with nihilism.
>>
>>7606506
>>7606602
Guy here who first posted the Tzara and Breton stuff.

I'd say Breton is a nihilist. Unlike Dali or Rothko or all of those other artist-intellectuals who were interested in freud and psychoanalysis, Breton thought dreams had value in and of themselves. He had no concern for the interpretation of dreams, or any notion that we would understand ourselves better through understanding our dreams. He felt the dream expierence was the ultimate form, and wanted to mimic it in his waking life through art. I'd say this is a pretty radical denial of both material reality and philosophical attempts to understand reality.
>>
>>7606246
what's the general gist of it?
>>
http://www.amazon.com/Million-Random-Digits-Normal-Deviates/dp/0833030477
>>
>>7606066
>>7606075
>>7606076
>>7606080
>>7606083
>>7606100
>>7606101
>>7606113
http://www.stephenwolfram.com/publications/cellular-automata-complexity/pdfs/random-sequence-generation-cellular-automata.pdf
>>
Nietzsche so you can do your best to avoid it
>>
none because nihilism would ask you to reject the notion that there are essential nihilist books and that canonization is empty
>>
>>7606066
It's a new beta sequence I'm working on. Would you like to see it?
>>
>>7606062
Most literature, good lit, is written from an agnostic/atheistic perspective in the first place.
>>
>>7606062
my diary

t
b
h
>>
>>7607154
remember one cannot attain the true nihilism

they can only strive to attain it.
>>
>>7606246
It's not the first time I see this book mentioned on /lit/ and am interested.
Could you tell us about it? There's not much on Wikipedia.
>>
Nihilism is not a philosophy. It is a problem that philosophers seek to surmount.
>>
>>7607998
NUDE. TAYNE.
>>
>>7606254
emptiness is not nihilism
>>
>>7606075
No it's not
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.