[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If i am writing a book with some foreign myth characters, is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1452234198239.jpg (349KB, 1000x1199px) Image search: [Google]
1452234198239.jpg
349KB, 1000x1199px
If i am writing a book with some foreign myth characters, is it weird to refer to only the main characters of each respective country with the foreign characters of their name, and everyone else with romanized names? I would not do this for more than 1 characer of their respective language/etc.

Ex:
黄帝 went to visit Кoщéй and they ate breakfast with their friends Ivan and Xiao-Hua.

This is also for aesthetic reasons. Some romanizations look stupid, like 'wang'. What do you think?
>>
I dunno, sure.
>>
>>7603428
Cool thanks. I rather like how the foreign names look in their original state but I dont want to be super confusing to a reader, ( its not confusing to me though so i'm not sure)
>>
>>7603441
alright, whatever.
>>
That sounds cringeworthy and pretty tryhard if you don't know the languages.
>>
>>7603425
I mean you can but since no one would bother knowing the banners it will seem like a gimmick.
>>
>>7603451
Oh darn, really? I know a bit of chinese i grew up with it but the damn romanizations look fucking dumb to me. And i cant keep track of them. Are literal translation names weird too? Like 'Jade Flower'

>>7603454
I guess you are right...it does seem gimmicky
>>
>>7603466
Just do regular characters like everyone else, it's not that big of a deal.
>>
>>7603472
Alright thanks man, you're right its a nonissue. I'll use romanization. I get hung up over weird things.
>>
Yes, that would be weird. It would also be quite confusing for readers unfamiliar with the original languages, for example 黄帝 and 皇帝 would be easily conflated.
You'd be forcing the reader to keep track of what's what, drawing them out of the text just to make sense of it. Without having learned what sounds are attached to each word, it makes it very difficult to keep track of what's going on. There's nothing stupid about "wang", grow up.

It might work in some text that explores something on a related theme but from the fact that you're asking, you're not doing that.
>>
>>7603490
Ok i'll just use regular spelling. I cant help my brain auto pronouncing wang and chang with a drawn out 'ang clang' sound which is the stupid part. Yeah I get I'm a bit immature but I'm also not going to name a character 'Dick' it just detracts from the seriousness a bit.
>>
>>7603425
Skeletors
>>
>>7603543
>黄帝
If you would use 黄帝 only for the name of the Chinese character and would not use any other Chinese spelling in the book it would not be confusing. I would know that 黄帝 is the Chinese dude. It would sort of be like naming your character K or some other weird shit like that.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.