[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone here genuinely committed themselves to a life of asceticism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: johnwilliams.jpg (19KB, 190x279px) Image search: [Google]
johnwilliams.jpg
19KB, 190x279px
Has anyone here genuinely committed themselves to a life of asceticism and self-imposed detachment from life (as far as is possible without dying from starvation etc)?

Which books deal with characters of this sort?
>>
>>7602169
Siddhartha deals with pure asceticism, but it doesn't endorse it.
>>
I've definitely been planning for it. I'd like to save up enough for some land out in the woods and one of those ten by ten prefabricated cabins, or even a storage shed. I'd use a wood stove and cook beans and rice. I'd scrub my own damn clothes. I'd grow veggies in my garden. Prayerful meditation every day, write every morning and evening.

I've been thinking very often about hermitage, and it's a rather attractive looking lifestyle desu. Renouncing the world for a life of simplicity, humility, and possibly service depending on the type of hermitage I follow. The Russians have it right with theirs, a minimal life and constant availability to help others through listening and work. Share what they have, seeking wisdom, etc.
>>
>>7602947
Anyway, regarding books.

My Side of the Mountain, kind of along the lines if Hatchet, but way comfier.
>>
I am doing it right now, 1 year before going to college. I write in the morning for 6 hours every day, then go to the gym and read for the rest of the day. Maybe watch a movie or tv show if I get lonely. No going out, no girls, no substances.
>>
>>7602169
fedora neet gamers are the modern ascetic
>>
Where do you start with asceticism? I'm interested in this since I've become a big Tolstoy reader.
>>
>>7603040
Try the pessimists. They're all ascetics.
>>
>>7602976
How long have you been doing that?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.