[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ulysses just came in the mail, I opened it up and this is what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 003.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
003.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Ulysses just came in the mail, I opened it up and this is what I see.

Where the fuck are the quotation marks? Why are there these dashes where the quotation marks are supposed to be?
>>
decently creative bait, 6/10

run along now
>>
nah it's a pretty well known misprint. hold on to that copy though. it might be collector's item one day. wait until you find the page where all the periods are commas and the commas periods.
>>
>>7601363
Not bait man, I'm serious. The book was written in 1922 wasn't it? Why are there no punctuation marks in it? Older books used them.

>>7601365
Seriously? The copy I got is the Everyman's Library one so it's nothing special, I think.
>>
This is how the book was written and intended to be read.
>>
>>7601360
Joyce was fond of using the dash as a cue for speech beginning, thinking that it distracted the reader less and was less disruptive to the process of reading than quotation marks.
>>
Wait i just read the story in dubliners with Mr. Power and Mr. Cunningham. That's kind of neat. Is Ulysses super reliant on having read Portrait and Dubliners? I'll be reading it concurrently with the Odyssey and that Joyce podcast. Is there any more background stuff necessary?
>>
>>7601455
>>7601460
Huh, that's odd, to me it seems easier to read with the quotation marks.
>>
>>7601463
>concurrently
Read it first, focus on one at a time. Ulysses shares characters with portrait and dubs. And you get to follow the development of his writing. They're not that long anyway.
Also have you read hamlet?
>>
>>7601360
>using quotation marks

You fags dont do it with your own writing do you lmao
>>
>>7601468
That's because you have a weak and easily distracted intellect.
>>
>>7601561
Gee, thanks anon.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2795x3546px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2795x3546px
It looks like they speak in interjections.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.