[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Pale King discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (30KB, 384x383px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 384x383px
How unfinished is it?
Do you think plot was particularly unimportant to this piece?
Dave said that "the idea of plot interests [him]" and described The Pale King as "a series of setups for things to happen, but nothing actually happens".
>>
The only way he could publish an "unfinished" novel was to commit sudoku. It actually is finished.
>>
>>7600558
>le white college male literature meme
>>
very unfinished
at the time of reading it, kinda. but upon reflection no.
i interpreted it as:he intentionally wrote a boring book about the topic of boredom.
we don't all get to have these super interesting jobs, some of us are gonna be stuck doing shitty boring ass jobs. and that's what he made me feel i was reading about.
now of course times have changed and computers and shit mostly do this stuff but there are still boring jobs out there.

anyway i mostly liked the stories that took place outside of the "main" plot.
like the section about the kid who was so nice it made everyone want to kill him, or the sweaty guy explaining all the anxiety that goes along with hyperhidrosis. you rarely get to see perspectives like that.
and while i'm not a sweaty person myself, i can relate to the anxiousness that comes with always being aware of every part of your surrounding. where the exits are, who could possibly see you in their line of sight, etc.
>>
File: 1452610807474.jpg (147KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
1452610807474.jpg
147KB, 750x500px
You should probably start reading the published work now; only the second half will be available in the underworld.
>>
>>7600583
I wanted to kill that fucking kid so bad.
I wouldn't have called it boring. I heard someone make the point that; because the novel itself is unfinished, it sort of irradiates any sort of expectations for a thrilling, tightly woven peice of writing; which is actually sort of freeing.

I belive Wallace did his best work in short bursts. I think that's why, both with TPK and IJ; everything stays so fragmented. Both books are sort of more like concept albums than true novels.

On the subject of boring jobs;
I work a 'boring [office type] job'.

It's incredably slow; and overall unrewarding. The pay is low-moderate, but the hours are constant. I actually put in for (and received) a transfer to an even slower office, so now I spend all my time reading, and browsing lit. I've got a small bookshelf full of books in my office. So far this year, I've read a little over 2,300 pages.

So overall feels pretty good to be paid minimum wage for reading books.
>>
>>7600651
whats your actual job there? what do you have to do?
>>
>>7600664
I am an automotive parts interpreter in a service centre.

I am fairly busy between 8-9am & 4:30-5pm, but apart from that, it's dead quiet.

Basically all I do all day is quote up car components. I'm fairly good at my job, so I know most of it off my heart, so when I do get things to quote up, I complete the request in between 5seconds and 5minutes. After this? I get a good 50minutes of dead quiet nothingness
>>
>>7600682
Also; apologies for my wording. I only got 2 hours sleep, as I was saving cats from bushfires.
>>
>>7600558
Weird, I use a king of clubs as my book mark and never noticed the connection to The Pale King.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.