[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am looking for a poem I read in highschool and I can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: 0Y2u4Xb.jpg (47KB, 600x328px) Image search: [Google]
0Y2u4Xb.jpg
47KB, 600x328px
I am looking for a poem I read in highschool and I can't find it anywhere.

It tells the tale of a mans life. It explains how he once stole from his mother and other naughty deeds but it also tells of his good natured side. In the end you are to evaluate the man and give the opinion if he is good or bad.

Pls help /lit/, I've nowhere else to turn.
>>
>>7599093
Humpty dumpty
>>
Oedipus
>>
>>7599093
>implying raising a family is "playing it safe"
>fucking contrarian shit
>>
>>7599920

In the sense of that is what is expected of you. He's clearly subverting the term. Don't be dense.
>>
>>7599938
It's still herpaderp justifying your own bohemian lifestyle not as an example of failure but by undermining all those who have suceeded. It's a very common attitude and I feel like disputing it.
>>
>>7599093

The only scientifically confirmed meaning of life is to survive and procreate. The man, however miserable he may be, has fulfilled the only duty he has in life, which is to procreate. He can chase his dream if he wants to, nothing is stopping him really. If he's such a bohemian, surely divorcing your wife and leaving your kids shouldn't be such a big deal.
>>
>>7599944
Are you saying the majority of people don't go the "safe" route i.e. high school -> college -> job? And that they then don't look to start a family because that's what most people do?

Come one dude. He's just saying that maybe what you want isn't what society says you should want. Bill's married btw.
>>
>>7600046
>The only scientifically confirmed meaning of life is to survive and procreate.
Life has whatever meaning you give it. Most people just take society's meaning which right now is the safe route Bill
s referring to.

>The man, however miserable he may be, has fulfilled the only duty he has in life, which is to procreate.
You're playing the part of society. The man has no inherent duty in life, you and society are just trying to assign him one.

>He can chase his dream if he wants to, nothing is stopping him really. If he's such a bohemian, surely divorcing your wife and leaving your kids shouldn't be such a big deal.
hmmm
>>
>>7599944
Children, a house and a career mean nothing if you are unhappy with it. Success means pursuing a path that will bring you a good life. Bill is critiquing people who blindly fall into their paths and become stuck. This is not a myth, it happens all the time. Think of the song "Once in a Lifetime by The Talking Heads. It is a common source of the infamous midlife crisis. People realizing that they have squandered their youth on a path that wasn't bringing them what they sought. I am not saying that family and career are invalid pursuits, and Bill is not saying that either. It is a critique of people who hate their lives because they gave up on dreams and slotted into society. If your dream is family life or a rewarding career, then that is awesome. But many get a girl pregnant and then their life is decided for them. Poor schmucks wasting their lives doing things they don't want to do because that is what they were supposed to do. They thought that was all life is about.
>>
>>7601053
>Children, a house and a career mean nothing if you are unhappy with it
lmao are you 13
>>
>>7601053
THERE IS WATER
AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OCEAN
>>
>>7601066
You clearly kept reading my post and then replied with this gold. Thank you.
>>
Poem by Simon Armitage

And if it snowed and snow covered the drive
he took a spade and tossed it to one side.
And always tucked his daughter up at night
And slippered her the one time that she lied.
And every week he tipped up half his wage.
And what he didn't spend each week he saved.
And praised his wife for every meal she made.
And once, for laughing, punched her in the face.

And for his mum he hired a private nurse.
And every Sunday taxied her to church.
And he blubbed when she went from bad to worse.
And twice he lifted ten quid from her purse.

Here's how they rated him when they looked back:
sometimes he did this, sometimes he did that.
>>
>>7601053
>Children, a house and a career mean nothing if you are unhappy with it.

Except it's more noble to live a life of distress for the good of others and of society than it is to live a selfish life of ease.

The problem with families today is that they are full of people that are listening to idiots like Bill Burr who preach this juvenile "follow your dreams" dogma which leads to permanent discontentment because you are always chasing after a dream rather than humbly submitting yourself to reality. So wives are prepared to betray their husbands, their children, and ultimately the whole society by running off with a man that gives them "feelings", because they have listened to evil women who tell them that need to be "in love" and sexually attracted to the man they are with (which encourages dumping men whenever you become bored of them).
>>
File: alien.jpg (36KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
alien.jpg
36KB, 200x200px
>>7599093
Just go to Reddit ;)
It has all the best poem memes.
>>
File: 1280427571671.jpg (867KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
1280427571671.jpg
867KB, 1440x900px
>>7602053
THANK YOU SO FUCKING MUCH!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>7602072
Perhaps there are some who don't care for being noble, and such a platitude won't help them overcome the situation if they despise it, and why should it. Such a illusive, arbitrary concept as "being noble" doesn't override the unhappiness for all. I my view, following your dream is more "noble"
>>
>>7601086
>tfw you find youself behind the wheel of a large automobile
>>
>>7602072

>Except it's more noble to live a life of distress for the good of others and of society than it is to live a selfish life of ease.

I don't usually use the term cuck, but god damn man. What is the virtue of suffering for others? What is the virtue of a martyr complex? Isn't it essentially a zero-sum scenario, if your "moral" suffering for the good of others (for some fucked up masochistic reason) causes them to live an "immoral", selfish life of ease?

>The problem with families today is that they are full of people that are listening to idiots like Bill Burr who preach this juvenile "follow your dreams" dogma

Not at all. The problem is when people enter family life (life in general, really) unreflectively and without thought, which is exactly what Burr is rallying against. He's not saying family life is necessarily bad, he's saying that you sure as shit shouldn't do it lightly, and that you should definitely not do it because it is expected of you, or because society will deem you a loser for not having a family and sleeping on a futon in your thirties. Establishing a family for those reasons is exactly what causes broken families in the first place. It's a trite point, really, but not untrue.
>>
File: 1437652158216.jpg (897KB, 1536x2087px) Image search: [Google]
1437652158216.jpg
897KB, 1536x2087px
>>7600046
List of famous childless bachelors

Pierre Bayle
Robert Boyle
Johannes Brahms
Samuel Butler
Robert Burton
Ludwig van Beethoven
Johannes Brahms
Giacomo Casanova
Frederic Chopin
Nicolaus Copernicus
Eugène Delacroix
Rene Descartes
Gustave Flaubert
Galileo Galilei
Edward Gibbon
Vincent van Gogh
Oliver Goldsmith
Thomas Hobbes
Horace
David Hume
Washington Irving
Henry James
Franz Kafka
Immanuel Kant
Soren Kierkegaard
Charles Lamb
T. E. Lawrence
Meriwether Lewis
Philip Larkin
Gottfried Leibniz
John Locke
Michelangelo
Friedrich Nietzsche
Sir Isaac Newton
Blaise Pascal
Alexander Pope
Marcel Proust
Maurice Ravel
George Santayana
Jean Paul Sartre
Franz Schubert
Benedict de Spinoza
Arthur Schopenhauer
Herbert Spencer
Adam Smith
Stendhal
Jonathon Swift
Nikola Tesla
Henry David Thoreau
Henri De Toulouse-Lautrec
Leonardo da Vinci
Voltaire
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Breeders eat shit ;)
>>
>>7599944
Procreating isn't an accomplishment. It's an accident. It's mostly just people forgetting the rubber.
>>
>>7602053
This had potential but it shows a lack of effort IMO.
>>
>>7605210
most of these are wierdos though
>>
>>7605228

And yet almost all of them contributed great things to society that people take for granted now.

Sir Issac Newton died a virgin and was obsessed with finding hidden messages in the bible.

He's also the reason you're probably even alive at all.

'Family life' is a great thing if it's what you truly desire, but being shoehorned into it because society expects it of you isn't.

In fact it's pretty much just communism, only via a book of Abrahamic sermons instead of a rifle barrel.
>>
>>7605210
>Galileo Galilei

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Celeste
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.