[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which stories in this are absolutely top tier/must reads? Perhaps

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1

File: Borges.jpg (396KB, 1473x2169px) Image search: [Google]
Borges.jpg
396KB, 1473x2169px
Which stories in this are absolutely top tier/must reads? Perhaps a better question is, are there any that one should avoid/not bother with? Just got finished with the Aleph, my top five so far are probably "The Library of Babel", "The Lottery of Babylon", "The Garden of Forking Paths", "The Two Kings and the Two Labyrinths", and "Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius".

Also general Borges thread.
>>
>>7598634
They're all god tier. I don't think you should avoid any. Not because it's good to read but because all of the stories are so good.
>>
>>7598636
OP here. I would tend to agree with you so far (minus a few stories that just didn't catch to me personally, but objectively I can respect). I think I'm just starting to fatigue from reading the same themes being elaborated on (mirrors, labyrinths, infinities). Might try to find something to read alongside it.
>>
Just read them yourself, you lazy cunt
>>
I bearly finished 100 years of solitude. Extremly annoying, complete waste of time. Is Borges any better that Marquez?
>>
>>7598634
You should read all of them. Some of my favourite are his small retellings of famous stories. Like the one about Billy The Kid or the Ronin.
>>
>>7598658
Ficciones is far shorter and it's short stories so you don't have to read it all at once.
>>
>>7598658
>Is Borges any better that Marquez?

Yes, but if you got nothing from 100 days, you're probably a pleb and won't get Borges.
>>
>>7598634
The Library of Babel is seriously brilliant.
>>
>>7598715

OP again. It was probably my favorite out of all of them so far.

"You who read me-- Are you certain you understand my language?"

I had to put the book down and take a fifteen minute walk with a big shit-eating grin on my face after reading that.
>>
If you wish to understand the nature of the labyrinths in which you wayfare, OP, it would behoove you to read greedily from the prophet Borges.
>>
I really enjoy the one about Averroës ("Averroës' search", I think). It asks some very interesting questions about writing and fiction in general.
>>
>>7598649
>I'm just starting to fatigue from reading the same themes being elaborated on (mirrors, labyrinths, infinities)
Consider your sentence and think about what Borges is doing.
>>
borges is a meme
>>
>>7599194

For good reason, you troglodyte.
>>
>>7598658
What a pleb
>>
>>7598658
Absolutely disgusting
>>
>>7598658
>100 years of solitude
The epos of colombian caribe and you find it annoying. You are a pleb.
>>
"The Other Death" still (not even kidding here) haunts me to this day.
>>
What should I read in this after going through Ficciones/Aleph/A Brief History of Iniquity
>>
>>7598634
read them all
>>
"Would you believe it, Ariadne? The Minotaur scarcely defended himself."

That line brought some unexpectedly heavy feels.
>>
Other than Pierre Menard, there are none. His infinity ones are tripe shit. He's a better essayist than fiction writer.
>>
>>7598634
Funes is a boss. Best story desu.
>>
>>7598803
Woah
>>
>>7598634
All are worthwhile, these are my favorites

The theologians

Pierre Menard, author of the Quixote

Argumentum Ornithologicum (parody of the ontological argument)

Fune, his memory

The garden of forking paths
The Immortal
>>
>>7598803
this
>>
>>7598634
Is this translation in op's pic good?
>>
>>7598658

Borges on 100 years of solitude: "It's ok, but it has 50 years to spare".

"Está bien, pero le sobran cincuenta años". Original quote, I'm not sure about my translation.

: )
>>
>>7598658
sure is reddit in here
>>
>>7598634
>tfw didn't like Tlön that much at all
Must reads are The Secret Miracle, The Shape of the Sword, Library of Babel, Garden of Forking Paths, The Immortal, the Nadhir (I think that's the word). But I enjoyed all of what I've read from him so far.
>>
>>7599671
>tripe
4/10 but it's getting old
>>
>>7601750
>Nadhir
lel no it's Zahir iirc
>>
>>7598803

that's nice and all but borges metafiction can still be boring.
Sometimes I don't want to read a story about dream of a book about two gauchos having a shootout in a hall of mirrors that exists only in the dream of an immortal tiger stuck in an Aztec pit.

hue. I'm sooo witty
>>
>>7601781
I knew there was a Z in there somewhere. That's the one indeed, I lent my Borges out, so can't check that simply. Google is hard work.
>>
>>7599665

"The House of Asterion" is one of my favorites.

OP, I recommend "Deutches Requiem"
>>
>>7601707

I must confess that I've read no other translation in its entirety, but I can say that I've compared passages from Hurley's translation to passages from the Yates and Irby edition... and Hurley doesn't really hold up IMO
>>
>>7598634
One of my absolute favorites was "Three Versions of Judas". The intro to Ficciones was all like "exegesis is the basis of all sin" and I was all like "wow I don't know what that means" then I read this one and was all like "oooohhhh. . . shit."
>>
>>7601717
Well, it's no secret that Borges wasn't fond of novels. He even claimed to never have read an entire novel during his whole life.
>>
>>7604391
Sounds like a fucking faggot.
>>
>>7604478
that is not true, you fool.

But he liked more short stories.
>>
>>7602738
thanks man
>>
>>7601717
Nobody said he wasn't a cunt
>>
just finished 'hopscotch' by julio cortazar. if you like borges you need to read that book
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.